R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI Gets "KRINKED"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting effect, but it strikes me as more of an advertising stunt for the ink manufacturer, than a piece of art. Particularly since the ink manufacturer is using the video on their website that sells the ink.

I suppose, in a way, it becomes art when we start discussing if it IS art or not. I'm tempted to say that it cannot be art because any idiot can dribble ink down a car, but, on the other hand, since when has art been defined by it's technical difficulty? I may not get it, and I definitely don't like it, but I can't quite say it isn't art.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
What a bunch of B.S. NOT ART!

Old 11-20-2009, 03:56 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
However, I don't think he really has anything to say.

BUT..... though he may not have anything to say, it apparently makes a statement that we feel compelled to "critique" it thus rendering it as art, I guess.

What is that saying? Bad publicity is better than no publicity....

Mark

Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
I actually like it.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:36 AM
BF_
3rd Gear
I read somewhere that Chappelle originally pitched this but called it skeet.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
I think that's overly patronizing the graffiti genre. It has removed itself to some extent from the "ghetto culture" and made its way into galleries and museum all over the world. It holds more appeal as an art/aesthetic than it does as some style from "ghetto culture". I encourage you to check out any of the graffiti documetary DVD's to see that it really isn't just the ghetto vandal scribblings that people make it out to be.
Just because some have created real art with graffiti techniqes does not make all graffiti art. I was referring to the MINI in specific, and KR's work in general. I was not referring to all graffiti works.

The fact that it's a brand, that's it's being marketed, or has a decorative style isn't enough to prove that it's not art. Recently "design", "brand identity" and "marketing" have become a large part in some artists' work. Take a look at any of the interviews with Murakami where he talks about the roles of marketing and decorative style in art.
Takahashi Murakami uses art to comment on otaku and commercial culture. His work has some similarities to that of Andy Warhol. However, because he uses his "superflat style" to create art, that doesn't mean all of his commercial ventures using the same style are also art. It depends on whether they are carrying a message, or are simply decorative.

Like I said...it's rooted so deeply in philsophies, artist intentions, brand aesthetics, and his past background that it's hard not to write it off as "pretentious" but I don't think that makes it any less of a piece of "art". It's hardly any more pretentious than DuChamp's 'Fountain' or Craig Martin's 'An Oak Tree', both of which are respected pieces of art. (I'm not putting those pieces down...I respect them both as well)
I find it disappointing that you cannot see the difference between Fountain or An Oak Tree and the KRINKED MINI. The Fountain and An Oak Tree both have a lot to say. I don't see much being said with the MINI beyond simple decoration.

Originally Posted by Ken G.
Interesting effect, but it strikes me as more of an advertising stunt for the ink manufacturer, than a piece of art. Particularly since the ink manufacturer is using the video on their website that sells the ink.
Yes, it is little more than commercial exploitation of a style.

I suppose, in a way, it becomes art when we start discussing if it IS art or not.
Our discussing whether or not it is art, does not make it art. I could start a discussion about whether a tomato is or isn't art. That wouldn't make it art. We are discussing whether or not is art because it is presented as though it were art. IMO, both MINI and KR are attempting to exploit the prestige of art for commercial purposes.

I'm tempted to say that it cannot be art because any idiot can dribble ink down a car, but, on the other hand, since when has art been defined by it's technical difficulty? I may not get it, and I definitely don't like it, but I can't quite say it isn't art.
Whether or not "any idiot" can execute the craft of a work has no bearing on whether or not it is art. The skill of the craft involved does not determine whether it is art. To be art, it needs to be expressing something. Without expression, it is simply decoration.

The KRINKED MINI is pure advertising. I see no art in it.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I find it disappointing that you cannot see the difference between Fountain or An Oak Tree and the KRINKED MINI. The Fountain and An Oak Tree both have a lot to say. I don't see much being said with the MINI beyond simple decoration.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to compare or liken them to the KRINK MINI on any level other than the "pretentiousness" we were discussing originally. I was simply comparing them on the level of pretentious nature to back up my original joke/statement that any art could be considered "pretentious". There's no doubt in my mind that either piece stands leagues above this MINI on any of the other levels.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
Looks like a variation of the "SPIN ART" I used to see at county fairs and school fundraisers. Almost no talent needed. Folk art.... maybe.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Being from Savannah and having seen what SCAD (they almost dominant Savannah) is capable of this doesn't surprise me. However I fail to find any artistic value (as with many of SCAD's projects) myself. IMO if a monkey can do it then it's not creative art.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nearly as controversial as this:

Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Kwilson
1st Gear
I won't even read all the "this isn't art" bs.

if you didn't go to art school you probably don't get it
( i did go so i can appreciate it even though it might not be my thing )

Old 11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Kwilson, that is a weak argument.

Art school doesn't make you GET anything.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glnr13
nearly as controversial as this:
Ground-breaking art is often controversial. Therefore all controversial works are art. Not.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kwilson
I won't even read all the "this isn't art" bs.

if you didn't go to art school you probably don't get it
( i did go so i can appreciate it even though it might not be my thing )
Originally Posted by glnr13
Kwilson, that is a weak argument.

Art school doesn't make you GET anything.
Except, in some cases, a holier than though attitude. Although that probably gets acquired before art school.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 PM
urameatball
2nd Gear
I can't believe there's an entire discussion about watching paint dry.

I can't believe I'm part of the discussion.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Except, in some cases, a holier than though attitude. Although that probably gets acquired before art school.
oh so true

Old 11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by urameatball

I can't believe I'm part of the discussion.
+1

Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by urameatball
We've discussed the paint wet, and dry. Drying is irreverent. No wait, I mean malevolent... Irrelevant, yea that's it.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Kwilson
1st Gear
You might say my argument is weak but so is claiming anyone could do it is just as weak.

" It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child. " Pablo Picasso

My point is that it can take next to nothing to make a piece that is interesting and the fact this whole thing has a sparked such a heated debate has a lot to say about the project...

Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Kwilson
1st Gear
nope it comes with the degree.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Sabre
6th Gear

This isn't art, it is a very well promoted decorative style that takes advantage of the affluent and middle class youth's obsession with ghetto culture. Take a look at: http://krink.com/

My impression that it is pretentious BS has been reinforced...
+1 ... Agreed!

Since Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and "art" itself is a subjective concept I will throw my .02 in here by saying that IMO this Krinking seems to take very little talent to produce (other than the mixing of the paint) as the laws of physics (ie. Gravity) is the real artist here... Hard for me to even consider this as art.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Sabre
IMO this Krinking seems to take very little talent to produce (other than the mixing of the paint) as the laws of physics (ie. Gravity) is the real artist here... Hard for me to even consider this as art.
Honestly...I'd recommend you to try the mixing some yourself and creating a mop marker to get similar results for fun. See what kind of work goes into getting something to drip so successfully without hurting the opacity in any way. It's a skill in and of itself. I'm not saying that it validates it as art....just suggesting that you can't say that something requires "no talent" when you haven't given it a shot. I'm also not saying it takes a prodigy or anything, but it's hardly skill-less or talentless.

I was the same way for a while until I needed some drips in one of my paintings. Took quite a bit of work to get it to drip well enough while still looking so clean/opaque. Without trying it yourself, it's like sitting and watching an NFL game saying "Pfft...I can throw a football into an end zone too. That takes no talent."

Old 11-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kwilson
You might say my argument is weak but so is claiming anyone could do it is just as weak.
" It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child. " Pablo Picasso
Yup, it isn't the skill of the craft that makes art, it is the expression that matters.

My point is that it can take next to nothing to make a piece that is interesting and the fact this whole thing has a sparked such a heated debate has a lot to say about the project...
What, exactly, do it have to say? Many things can cause a heated debate on NAM. Surely, you don't believe that controversy = art?

Originally Posted by Sabre
+1 ... Agreed!

Since Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and "art" itself is a subjective concept I will throw my .02 in here by saying that IMO this Krinking seems to take very little talent to produce (other than the mixing of the paint) as the laws of physics (ie. Gravity) is the real artist here... Hard for me to even consider this as art.
[/quote]
I think the problem is that it takes very little thought, and expresses very little. I don't car how easy or difficult it is, what, exactly, is KR trying to express? IMO, without expression, it is simply craft, not art.

[quote]
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Honestly...I'd recommend you to try the mixing some yourself and creating a mop marker to get similar results for fun. See what kind of work goes into getting something to drip so successfully without hurting the opacity in any way. It's a skill in and of itself. I'm not saying that it validates it as art....just suggesting that you can't say that something requires "no talent" when you haven't given it a shot. I'm also not saying it takes a prodigy or anything, but it's hardly skill-less or talentless.
OK, so KR is a skillful formulator of paints. So what? Nothing to do with whether it is art, or commercial promotion pretending to be art.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
OK, so KR is a skillful formulator of paints. So what? Nothing to do with whether it is art, or commercial promotion pretending to be art.
As I said in the post you quoted. I'm not saying that his skill for mixing the paint validates it as art. Just saying that it's not a talent/skill-less act regardless of whether someone considers it art or not.

I still fail to see why it wouldn't be art, though. It's not GREAT art, and it doesn't say as much as other more successful art but it still seems like art to me.

I think the problem is that it takes very little thought, and expresses very little. I don't car how easy or difficult it is, what, exactly, is KR trying to express? IMO, without expression, it is simply craft, not art.
But just because you don't sense any expression, that means it's not expressing anything?

How is it any different than the "Art Car" Warhol did with BMW? That certainly took just as little skill and that was a BMW marketing campaign too...and yet it was openly received in the art community as an art car. I'm sure the expression being presented by warhol wasn't seen by some, just as you don't see it on the KRINK car.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
However, I don't think he really has anything to say.
Perhaps the fact that he has no statement is his statement.

...I'm probably spending way too much time around ECIAD.

Quick Reply: R56 MINI Gets "KRINKED"