R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI Gets "KRINKED"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Jim Scott
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Gets "KRINKED"

Hey guys found this cool article on this site I frequent. They got an artist to put KRINK ink on a MINI Cooper S. Looks pretty cool, except you can't drive it.
What do you guys think?

http://thecollegedriver.com/posts/701-Krinking-the-MINI

I had trouble embedding the youtube video, sorry

Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Looks lame to Me . A kid in Pre-K could do this come on ?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
It's Art!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TWISTER
It's Art!
Having a BFA in fine arts, and having grown up around the Los Angeles art scene in the late 1960's, my impression is that it is pretentious BS.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Having a BFA in fine arts, and having grown up around the Los Angeles art scene in the late 1960's, my impression is that it is pretentious BS.
Agreed

Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by onetigerlsu
Looks lame to Me . A kid in Pre-K could do this come on ?
I doubt it. Mixing paint properly to get that consistency for such beautiful drips while maintaing the opacity is pretty difficult. I did a bunch of studies on drip art related to graffiti and the media holds most of the importance to the craft. Not something I imagine a preschooler could accomplish

Having a BFA in fine arts and currently "growing up" in the graffiti scene, I'd say that the same could be said for most (if not all) art in one way or another When something garners most of its value from the intentions of the artist rather than the physical aspects of the work...it's bound to be called pretentious by some

Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
I liked it...was sorta sexy in a way...

Old 11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Jim Scott
Neutral
Yeah it was kinda sexy

Old 11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Kinda f'd up. I mean, I could see if you ended up with a unique looking paint job that you could drive around, but they krinked the windows too, so ya can't even do that.

Now if they could get that effect and then clear-coat the crap out of it so ya can't feel the dribbles, that'd be something to ogle. Not my cup o' tea, but still interesting, sort of.

But this, this is what I call art.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
I don't see any talent involved in this. boring.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If he didn't do the windows I would think it was kinda sweet.

Pretty much anything can be considered "art."

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I don't get it, someone does something stupid, assigns a name in the name of art and everyone thinks it's the newest craze.

Mark

Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by orangecrush
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I don't get it, someone does something stupid, assigns a name in the name of art and everyone thinks it's the newest craze.

Mark
Take a look into the history of Krink. It's not just assigned the name of "newest craze"...it's one of the staple mediums used all over the world for graffiti art. It's made a pretty legit name for itself based on it's own merits and the sheer popularity of it among street artists....enough so that it has defined its own aesthetic in an ever growing art culture. It's been around for quite a while as a well known name...so it's not exactly a new craze or anything.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Kwilson
1st Gear
If i'm not mistaken KRINK is just the brand of INK he is using which promotes the ink and the car.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Kwilson
If i'm not mistaken KRINK is just the brand of INK he is using
This is correct. Krink is the name of ink being used. It's a brand of marker/ink renowned for its drip properties. The artist goes by KR and is the original founder of the company. KR + INK = Krink

Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Take a look into the history of Krink. It's not just assigned the name of "newest craze"...it's one of the staple mediums used all over the world for graffiti art. It's made a pretty legit name for itself based on it's own merits and the sheer popularity of it among street artists....enough so that it has defined its own aesthetic in an ever growing art culture. It's been around for quite a while as a well known name...so it's not exactly a new craze or anything.
This isn't art, it is a very well promoted decorative style that takes advantage of the affluent and middle class youth's obsession with ghetto culture. Take a look at: http://krink.com/

My impression that it is pretentious BS has been reinforced. If he had just done the body of the car, it could be considered an interesting decorative style. By rendering the car undriveable, KR attempts to elevate a decorative style to an artwork. However, I don't think he really has anything to say.

This reminds me of Tom Wolfe's Painted Word. Although from an earlier era, I think it applies here.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
toki999
1st Gear
if it's not permanent, i'd do it on halloween day...

Old 11-19-2009, 05:18 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It Must wash off....

Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
I like it.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
This isn't art, it is a very well promoted decorative style that takes advantage of the affluent and middle class youth's obsession with ghetto culture.
I think that's overly patronizing the graffiti genre. It has removed itself to some extent from the "ghetto culture" and made its way into galleries and museum all over the world. It holds more appeal as an art/aesthetic than it does as some style from "ghetto culture". I encourage you to check out any of the graffiti documetary DVD's to see that it really isn't just the ghetto vandal scribblings that people make it out to be.

My impression that it is pretentious BS has been reinforced. If he had just done the body of the car, it could be considered an interesting decorative style. By rendering the car undriveable, KR attempts to elevate a decorative style to an artwork. However, I don't think he really has anything to say.
Graffiti has been accepted as an art form and one of it's defining features is that it has the ability to transform every day objects into canvases and cause the viewer to re-evaluate how they perceive the object in our everyday world. What was once an big metal train becomes a wall of beauty. An ugly, rusty trash can is now a gorgeous canvas covered in inks and paints. He doesn't mask off the windows because that's the nature of his work. To not consider the utility of the subject and to fully transform it into the canvas that he's using it as.

The fact that it's a brand, that's it's being marketed, or has a decorative style isn't enough to prove that it's not art. Recently "design", "brand identity" and "marketing" have become a large part in some artists' work. Take a look at any of the interviews with Murakami where he talks about the roles of marketing and decorative style in art.

Like I said...it's rooted so deeply in philsophies, artist intentions, brand aesthetics, and his past background that it's hard not to write it off as "pretentious" but I don't think that makes it any less of a piece of "art". It's hardly any more pretentious than DuChamp's 'Fountain' or Craig Martin's 'An Oak Tree', both of which are respected pieces of art. (I'm not putting those pieces down...I respect them both as well)

Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign

I'm sorry, I didn't explain that very well. I mean new craze as in applying to cars.

Someone takes something, does something new/different with it's suppose to be art just because it was cool when it was first done.

The best way I can explain it is like reality shows. At first, they were different and cool... but then they starting applying reality shows to EVERY aspect of life, it's just plain stupid

Sometimes, too much of anything is simply too much.

Anyway, if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'd rather have a stick in my eye.

To those that like it.... enjoy.

Mark

Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I'm sorry, I didn't explain that very well. I mean new craze as in applying to cars.

Someone takes something, does something new/different with it's suppose to be art just because it was cool when it was first done.

Sometimes, too much of anything is simply too much.
Ohhhh agreed

Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
awildacaberto
2nd Gear
MY MINI

Mark

Nice MINI you have there MY my color

Quick Reply: R56 MINI Gets "KRINKED"