R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The airbags work...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely speeding. I got hit head on on my motorcycle a few years back, we were both travelling at about 30-35 and I totalled out a brand new 350Z on an R1. Im no expert, but usually accidents happen when the person that hit you is either A) Speeding, or B) doing something they shouldnt be doing

Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Did I miss the post where you say how you ended up in front of a car that was speeding (or not)?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Did I miss the post where you say how you ended up in front of a car that was speeding (or not)?
You didnt miss it because I forgot to post it. But yeah, what you said is basically what happened. Whether she was speeding or not I am still at fault for the accident, I am just speculating that if she werent speeding would my car not be totaled.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sgsuperman105
You didnt miss it because I forgot to post it. But yeah, what you said is basically what happened. Whether she was speeding or not I am still at fault for the accident, I am just speculating that if she werent speeding would my car not be totaled.
Oh, I wasn't trying to blame you or anything. I was just wondering if you were trying to make a turn, or you pulled out from a stop, or what? Any accident one is involved in is horrible, and one's where it is "your fault" feel even worse. I feel badly for you. The car being totaled is probably a blessing; repaired cars just never really seem "right" after that much damage.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What was the speed limit? From the photos I'd guess it was 25 mph. She may not have been speeding, but didn't hit the brakes much or at all. On the other hand, people often drive 35 in business districts where the limit is 25.

A MINI that hit the side of a Nissan Quest at somewhere between 70 to 100 mph killed all four occupants of the car and turned the car to rubble. So, I wouldn't be surprised at a Mitsubishi Gallant doing that much damage to your MINI at 25 without braking.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
The speed limit on that road is 30. If you look at picture one, the police car in the picture is approximately where I was when I got hit. Not all of the energy of the impact was spent on destroying the car. After I got hit my car spun over to the spot where it stopped in the spot you see in the picture.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm, wet streets. She probably wasn't able to slow much before hitting you, and your car would have slid more easily than on dry. I don't have the skill to estimate speed, but 30 mph can do an amazing amount of damage. Could you tell if she braked much when she hit you?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Just got word this morning that True Love was declared totaled.
That suprises me based on the pix. It looked like the damage was mainly the door. You were OK that's good.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The speed limit on that road is 30. If you look at picture one, the police car in the picture is approximately where I was when I got hit. Not all of the energy of the impact was spent on destroying the car. After I got hit my car spun over to the spot where it stopped in the spot you see in the picture.
30mph is exactly the speed for current Euro NCAP standard side impact testing:

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...de-impact.aspx

The second most important crash configuration is car to car side impact. Euro NCAP simulates this type of crash by having a mobile deformable barrier (MDB) impact the driver’s door at 50 km/h (30 mph). The injury protection is assessed by a side impact test dummy, in the driver’s seat.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 PM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
Update!

I just got a new car today.
A 2010 Ford Focus Coupe SE.
Its not as responsive as a MINI but I wasnt expecting it to be as responsive.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
fastring
1st Gear
Good looking Focus! Heard good things about them.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Umm...congratulations? It looks very "Ford"-y.

And try not to find out if the airbags work this time!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Nice new ride! Im just curious, but what made you shy away from MINI after this? Just a better deal?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:49 AM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gilboyto
Nice new ride! Im just curious, but what made you shy away from MINI after this? Just a better deal?
I wanted a MINI badly but there were a few reasons why I wound up getting a Focus.

1. Money. Didnt have enough for a new one (leads into #2)
2. Parents. They didnt want me buying a car that was used or out of warranty (understandable)

There were plenty of MINIs in the price range but my parents would rather pay for a new car instead of a used one and have to have me pay all the work on it if it broke. Since I am moving out of state for a year or so, that made a great point for me. The hard reality is, there isnt a MINI dealer within 50 miles of Branson, Missouri.

Considering that there are as many Ford dealers as there are McDonalds it seemed like a good choice.

The car is nicely built. The interior is a little more bland for my taste but then again, the Focus is aimed at a much bigger group than the MINI, so the styling wont be as funky as the MINI. That being said, the interior is nice for a Ford. Everything feels solid and feels bolted into place instead of just clipped on like most mass produced cars. It has a little more HP than my Cooper had and when I took it on the highway earlier today, it showed. It doesn't handle like the MINI does, but then again not a lot of cars do.

SYNC is amazing. This is the only thing that I like more than what I had on the MINI. The ability to just pull up music any time without wading through selection screens is soooo nice. And with a press of the same button, you can pull up your phone and call a contact (which you have to copy all of your contacts to the car for it to work). Ford and Microsoft did an amazing job with the SYNC system and I would not be surprised if more cars come out with it.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
Oh man... that definitely brings a tear to the eye. Great to hear you're okay, though! Good to know that the MINI is rather good at side impact protection - after wishing and hoping for a VERY long time, I was finally able to pick up a new Cooper S just yesterday.

Anyway, hope the soreness doesn't linger overlong. Let us know what you get to replace her. (OOPS - Edit; I see that you posted pics of your Focus above. Sigh; nice car... my wife has one... but it ain't a MINI! )

Spridget

Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 PM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spridget
Oh man... that definitely brings a tear to the eye. Great to hear you're okay, though! Good to know that the MINI is rather good at side impact protection - after wishing and hoping for a VERY long time, I was finally able to pick up a new Cooper S just yesterday.

Anyway, hope the soreness doesn't linger overlong. Let us know what you get to replace her.

Spridget
Congrats on the new MINI. Have fun with it

I actually just got a new Ford Focus Coupe SE yesterday. Thanks for the well wishes though.