R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 S Brake Bleed Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM
OTB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 S Brake Bleed Instructions?

Hi all,

I plan on replacing my '07 MCS fluid with RBF-600 tonight. (2nd Miller Motorsports Park Wintercross is tomorrow.)

I tried a few search methods and the best post I could find is here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-how-to.html

The photos in that post are broken, and it makes no mention of clutch slave bleeding.

Does my car share clutch/brake fluid, and is the clutch nipple hard to find? Would you nice guys have a better link or some info. I will just be topping off the reservoir and mighty-vac-ing the fluid through calipers.

cheers!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Clutch and brakes share the reservoir, but NEVER BLEED THE CLUTCH unless you replaced the slave cylinder.

Start with the longest line run from the reservoir to the calipers [left rear, then right rear, then left front, then right front]. Power or pressure bleeders sometimes work but 2 person pedal-pumping works best with the MINI because it's a weird car. If you have an OBDII scan tool that opens the ABS valves then you're super golden, otherwise don't be mad when you have to re-bleed the system two days later after you've actuated the ABS and found a boatload of air or old fluid in the system still.

My best advice is to NEVER allow the reservoir to get near the minimum marking line. In my experience, the Min marking on the MINI is actually "You've already sucked in a Hindenburg sized gulp of air and you're screwed for days cuz that's how long it'll take to get the air back out of the lines and ABS module".

Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never heard that about the clutch before. I put a SS clutch line on my last car nad didn't repalce it and it worked fine. But bleeding the brakes is easy. Are you just doing it to put new fluid in there or is the fluid really nasty? Also while you are doing I highly and I mean highly suggest that you put stainless steel brake lines, you will defianetly feel the difference and be super satisfied.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
OTB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys

Just a maintenance bleed. It probably has the OEM fluid from '07 in it.

I'll leave the clutch alone. Stainless lines-yeah probably a good idea. I won't find them in time to bleed tonight, but they're on my list.

cheers