R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
orfordbrits
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold start

I've been carpooling, which means Mini sits in a park and ride all day. When I get back the engine is cold. The park and ride is right off the interstate, whch means that I'm at highway speed in less than 30 secondsafter starting the car. Is it ok to do this or should I let the engine warm up a bit? Mini sat over the weekend and it got down to around zero. The engine light came on for the first time this morning when I started the car, and then went right off. Made me wonder if I need to wait a bit before driving on a very cold engine.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orfordbrits
I've been carpooling, which means Mini sits in a park and ride all day. When I get back the engine is cold. The park and ride is right off the interstate, whch means that I'm at highway speed in less than 30 secondsafter starting the car. Is it ok to do this or should I let the engine warm up a bit? Mini sat over the weekend and it got down to around zero. The engine light came on for the first time this morning when I started the car, and then went right off. Made me wonder if I need to wait a bit before driving on a very cold engine.
yes.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
isthar
5th Gear
FWIW the manual says not to do that, to just drive. I would avoid high revs, but I think it is best, after waiting a few *seconds* (you can even hear the revs dip a tiny bit after a few seconds after startup), to drive off.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
My MC revs at about 1200 or so and then goes down to the usual level when started cold. I would take it easy on the revs too until the engine is warmed up.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might want to take a short "excursion" on surface roads before hitting the freeway. In any case, try and keep the revs low (but don't lug) for the first several miles.

Another thing that would be helpful is to use something like Castrol Syntech 0W-30 European Formula oil when you do the oil change. This will be a little thinner at low temps than 5W-30.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live next to the freeway on ramp (but the MINIs live in the garage), I just do what it says in the manual, drive a bit gently until they get warmed up. The problems these days is I'm just about at work by the time they're warmed up, so I don't get to have much fun.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
isthar
5th Gear
Btwyx, exactly where I am - my commute is under a mile (!!!). I have been known to take a slightly longer route sometimes, and I make sure that on weekends, etc. it gets to go on highway.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
lotsie
Banned
One reason car manufacturers say to not let modern cars to warm-up is about keeping emissions down. The longer a car sits idling, the worse it's emissions to miles driven ratio is.

Here is what I do, in both of our generation MINIs at start-up. Start the car, then adjust the seat, mirrors if needed, get seat belt buckled, get iPod playing, set climate control to what is needed. This all takes a minute or 2, and allows oil to be pumped, tranny oil to slosh around a bit, and the seat heaters to take the edge off a little. I'm all for not polluting, but more pollution is created if you need to replace the car before it's time should be up, than to let it idle at start-up (in cold temps) for a couple of minutes.

Mark

Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
One reason car manufacturers say to not let modern cars to warm-up is about keeping emissions down. The longer a car sits idling, the worse it's emissions to miles driven ratio is.
Another reason is that carbon build-up from idling for long periods can affect engine performance.

It doesn't take long for the oil pump to distribute oil to the engine. Problem is, when the oil is cold and viscus, the pump may not be able to supply as much oil as is needed for higher revs. That's why you want to keep the revs fairly low when the engine is cold.

Driving at moderate speeds is the best way to warm up the oil.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Another reason is that carbon build-up from idling for long periods can affect engine performance.

It doesn't take long for the oil pump to distribute oil to the engine. Problem is, when the oil is cold and viscus, the pump may not be able to supply as much oil as is needed for higher revs. That's why you want to keep the revs fairly low when the engine is cold.

Driving at moderate speeds is the best way to warm up the oil.
Carbon build-up has never been a problem in my 03. I used to live where it was VERY BLOODY COLD. Weeks of -25F temps. I would go through my normal start-up routine, then motor at a gentle rate the mile or so to the highway, then run the little bugger hard up to speed, and cruise for the next 50 miles. When I changed plugs at 100,000 miles the OEM ones looked like new.

Mark

Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Carbon build-up has never been a problem in my 03.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-engine.html

Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
lotsie
Banned
With over 107,000 miles on my MINI, and giving it very good maintenance, I'm not sure what the point of that thread was to me?

Mark

Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
With over 107,000 miles on my MINI, and giving it very good maintenance, I'm not sure what the point of that thread was to me?

Mark
The point was, what's true for your '03 may not be true for 2nd Gen MINIs. You had not problem with carbon build-up. It seems that the new engine does.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
The point was, what's true for your '03 may not be true for 2nd Gen MINIs. You had not problem with carbon build-up. It seems that the new engine does.
Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep an eye on the 08 Clubbie.

Mark