R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ASC & snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
catwoman18901
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASC & snow driving

I only have ASC on my '08 Cooper S. I've had some issues driving in the snow. I have the all season performance tires & after reading this forum, am seriously thinking about getting snow tires for the winter season (watch, then it won't snow here again!). My salesman mentioned he turns off the ASC when he drives in the snow. Does anyone else do this & do you find it helps??

Any other suggestions for tire websites besides TireRack??

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
CarJon
2nd Gear
I'd check local tire dealers. My local dealer (who I think gets tires from Tire Rack (and is one of there installers) was much better in price when you include shipping (we are about 5 miles from tire rack warehouse) and installation from dealer.
Tire Rack has great selection, very good prices, and experts but I'd also check locally.
I don't think you turn anything off (DSC) unless you are going very slowly like up hill.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Turning off ASC will allow you to spin the wheels which may help get you going. I find that i need to do this when it's real bad out. get the snows you'll be glad you did

Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turning DSC off when in snow is a must when you're trying to get going. I do turn it back on for highway driving though. It functions at all speeds. With my winter tires on, i can spin the tires at 100km/h in 4th gear, and I've felt the DSC kick in at that point and slow the car down.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I would not turn the ASC off.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I would not turn the ASC off.
Then you will get stuck. Period.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
lotsie
Banned
In deep snow ,or ice, turn it off to get going, then turn it back on once your motoring along. Has worked for me for the last 6 winters, period

Mark

Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by brightwhite
Then you will get stuck. Period.
Nope. Period.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:03 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Drive in a lot of deep snow with uphills? Not turning off the DSC will get you stuck in that situation.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
How do you determine when the ASC is actually off? There's no light to indicate on/off - I'm wondering why MINI doesn't set up the ASC button just like the SPORT button. ASC would seem to be a much more "safety" oriented button and even more important to be aware of...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:18 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
My DSC has an idiot light on the tach that comes on when DSC is disabled.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Stick with TireRack. I got a really good deal on my Pirelli snow tires this month and they were shipped 6 hours after I ordered them. I got them in 2 days, and their "recommended installers" list was a huge help to finding a good price and good service.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Note that DSC and ASC are two different systems. ASC does allow you to turn it off and it will light up a warning light on the dash when you do so.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Note that DSC and ASC are two different systems. ASC does allow you to turn it off and it will light up a warning light on the dash when you do so.
Yes, the light is on when it is off, and the light goes on when it is "active"

Mark

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I'll have to check it out a little more closely next time - this idiot only looked at the onboard computer by the tach. Either I missed it there or it's on the speedometer.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The manual says:

Press the button repeatedly until the indicator lamp for the ASC or DSC comes on. ASC or DSC are deactivated. Stabilizing and drive-output promoting actions are no longer executed.

When driving with snow chains or to 'rock free' in snow, it can be helpful to switch off ASC/DSC for a brief period.

To increase vehicle stability, activate ASC/DSC again as soon as possible.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by brightwhite
Drive in a lot of deep snow with uphills? Not turning off the DSC will get you stuck in that situation.
Not Necessarily true. I live in Mass and drive in MA, NH, ME, VT all the time on steep hills with lots (12+ inches) all the time and have NEVER turned off the DSC in my car and NEVER been stuck. It all depends on your driving skill.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My MINI has ASC only (Traction Nanny) & she is always off. I installed an Ian Cull circuit with track mode to make the ASC be off by default. It can still be turned on for the rare instance it is needed by me.

My MINI wears 4 narrow winter tires. IMO those are much more beneficial than ASC.

Also...
It all depends on your driving skill.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Crashton; 12-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM
BoxedUp
2nd Gear
With all the debating going on, I'm surprised that no one has given the reason why you will get stuck with DSC/ASC on.

Allow me to shed some light and maybe this will help those that are confused, understand what's happening.

First of all, even though I don't have a MINI, I believe the DSC/ASC system works the same as in the BMW's.

When the system is on and senses wheel slippage, it cuts power to the drive wheels until traction is regained. It's human nature that when you get stuck in snow and start slipping, you apply more throttle. With DSC on, your efforts are fruitless because power is cut to the drive wheels that are slipping. That's why you can't get unstuck if DSC is on. By turning DSC off, you allow the wheels to spin and with the proper techniques, you will eventually break free.

Hope this helps.

BTW, this is for when you are stuck in snow and trying to get out. I would not recommend turning off DSC/ASC at other times unless you are tracking your car. (legal disclaimer...)

Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When the system is on and senses wheel slippage, it cuts power to the drive wheels until traction is regained. It's human nature that when you get stuck in snow and start slipping, you apply more throttle. With DSC on, your efforts are fruitless because power is cut to the drive wheels that are slipping. That's why you can't get unstuck if DSC is on. By turning DSC off, you allow the wheels to spin and with the proper techniques, you will eventually break free.
Very well said...

Old 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Very well said...

Old 12-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Very well said...
Agreed. I still like the way the chick in "My Cousin Vinny" explained it more. But maybe it was the chick...

Old 12-24-2009, 05:04 AM
BoxedUp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Agreed. I still like the way the chick in "My Cousin Vinny" explained it more. But maybe it was the chick...
Mona Lisa Vito probably has more knowledge about cars than 1/2 of us here. Please don't confuse DSC/ASC w/LSD.....

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BoxedUp
Except that if you are an experienced driver in snow you know not to just press harder on the throttle, as this may very well get you stuck even worse.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:41 AM
BoxedUp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Except that if you are an experienced driver in snow you know not to just press harder on the throttle, as this may very well get you stuck even worse.
I was referring to mere mortal humans...we experienced drivers are in a different league....

BTW, if DSC/ASC is on, the system won't allow you to dig yourself in deeper because it will stop the wheels from spinning. If you disable DSC/ASC, thus allowing all the wheel spin you can muster, an inexperienced driver would find themselves in a worse situation.

Last edited by BoxedUp; 12-24-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 ASC & snow driving