R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Change interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the first three years you get a free oil change annually, or when the countdown service odometer calls for service, whichever comes first. Sometimes it can work out that you go in for the annual oil change, and the service odometer sends you back a short time later.

When the car is new, you should do oil changes more frequently than after the first 30,000 miles. The initial engine break-in puts more metal into the oil than later in its life. One person posted a Blackstone result after the first 12,500 miles and the report said that the metal content in the oil was so high that the oil had become abrasive. It seems that the filter had been overwhelmed. MINI's 15,000 to 24,000 countdown time interval is just nuts, IMO.

My countdown odometer reading was 19,000. It changes based on number of starts, length of trips, speeds, and other factors. Unfortunately, it does not actually monitor the oil.

I did my first oil change at 1,600 miles, and did a second change about 5,000 later. My Blackstone report recommended about 8,000 for the next change.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I did not read this thread from start to finish, I tend to be conservative involving oil in vehicles and, equally as important, remember the Frame Oil Filter commercial of a few years ago, "Pay me now or really pay later on!" I change my oil on a 4-7K mile interval.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 AM
bigdreama
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed the oil myself in my wifes '09 MC at 7500 miles with Mini brand oil and here is the analysis of the factory fill from Blackstone.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just wondering, has anyone ever had an actual documented oil related failure in a MINI? And additionally has anyone ever had an actual documented oil related failure when changing oil ONLY when the cars computer specified it was due?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I was just wondering, has anyone ever had an actual documented oil related failure in a MINI? And additionally has anyone ever had an actual documented oil related failure when changing oil ONLY when the cars computer specified it was due?

Do a search there are threads "warranty denied" and it usually because the dealer claimed they went a little over the service interval with there oil change.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Did that search. I only found 1 possible oil related failure. The OP said he was quoted 14K for an engine by a dealer. The circumstance was never concluded thread ends. A few called warranty denied because of mods but none that I can find directly attributed to oil related failure and none because an owner followed the computer recommended servicing.

A lot of generalities and complaints because of mods. No oil related things that I can find. As well there are a couple clutch things but still no clear cut oil related failures.

The only oil related failures I have seen on any brand car was the new generation GTO. That was because people buying the car who really should not have bought the car. GM actually came out with a notice to owners that they had to check the oil. Because the car uses full synthetic oil many owners neglected to check the oil and ran the cars low on oil which created engine failures. (They thought that the oil just didn't get used because it was synthetic.) That is user caused failure. Those 5.7 and 6.0 motors use oil especially when your hammering the car.

Anyway, my point is I think because of the advances in modern engines and advancements in oil technology I just don't think there are that many oil related failures at all. If you were to have a failure it would be after several hundred thousand miles, several owners and most likely the rest of the car is going to fall apart around the engine.

IMHO

Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
PatM,

I think you are correct that there are no reports of actual oil related engine failures, much less any that can be attributed to the long interval change. Same goes for the timing chain issue. Of course, the timing chain issue is on Gen 2s and while some are starting to get up there in miles, they probably have not yet reached the really high mileage needed for the issue to fully manifest itself in the form of a failure.

The closest I've found to a consistent pattern of anything causing catastrophic engine failures (if you consider the few cases reported on message boards enough to establish a pattern) is a failure of the vacuum pump which sets off a chain event. Unfortunately, no information on what is causing the vacuum pumps to fail.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Not to get off topic, but what timing chain issue? Can I get a link to a thread or article on that please? Thanks much!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
How do you define an "oil related failure"? The timing chain tensioner is oil actuated, so one could say the problem with it constitutes an oil related failure. The oil is failing to push the piston in the tensioner mechanism. Engines have been destroyed by the timing chain tensioner malfunction (often referred to as the "cold start rattle" or "chatter").

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-database.htm

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-chatter.html

However, this problem is most likely a design flaw, rather than an oil interval issue.

That said, the consequences of oil change intervals will usually be subtle and not suddenly catastrophic. The main consequence would be excessive engine wear. This will lead to faster loss of power and efficiency over the life of the engine, and a shorter life-span. If you buy a new car every two years, it may not affect you much. It will affect those who by the car from you.

If the oil change interval goes beyond what the filter can handle, the oil will bypass the filter and remain unfiltered. The particulates in the oil can then turn the oil into an abrasive, rather than a lubricant.

One person posted a Blackstone lab oil analyses of their first oil change at 12,500 miles. The comment in the report said that the metal content of the oil was so high that the oil had become abrasive.

My onboard computer showed that my first oil change should be at 19,000 miles. Assuming that the break-in period puts about the same amount of metal into the oil for all MINIs, that would have meant MINI wanted me to drive my car for at least 6,000 miles with an abrasive oil.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Engines have been destroyed by the timing chain tensioner malfunction (often referred to as the "cold start rattle" or "chatter").
Could you point to a specific post where someone reported that their engine was destroyed by a timing chain tensioner malfunction?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Could you point to a specific post where someone reported that their engine was destroyed by a timing chain tensioner malfunction?
Did you look through those two threads? I don't recall the exact thread, but there was at least one report here where the tensioner failure caused excessive wear in the chain, allowing the valve timing to get far enough out that open valves were stuck by pistons. The report was that the engine was totaled. I don't feel like doing an extensive search to find the thread. If you are interested, you can do that. There were threads on the subject in the Coupe Talk (2007+) forum, and the Stock Problems/Issues forum.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:52 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Did you look through those two threads? I don't recall the exact thread, but there was at least one report here where the tensioner failure caused excessive wear in the chain, allowing the valve timing to get far enough out that open valves were stuck by pistons. The report was that the engine was totaled. I don't feel like doing an extensive search to find the thread. If you are interested, you can do that. There were threads on the subject in the Coupe Talk (2007+) forum, and the Stock Problems/Issues forum.
I've read through most of those and the other cold start chatter threads. Thus far I've seen lots of discussion but no confirmed cases that the cold start rattle problem has caused an engine failure. But I'll keep looking to see if I can find this SINGLE instance that you point to.

Just a suggestion, but if you want keep posting a claim like "Engines have been destroyed by the timing chain tensioner malfunction (often referred to as the "cold start rattle" or "chatter")." you might want to bookmark the specific instances you can point to that back up that claim instead of just pointing people to threads that are several hundred posts long and asking them to search for the proverbial needle. It would probably help if you could identify more than one as well.

In the meantime, I'll continue to treat your claim as just more FUD.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I've read through most of those and the other cold start chatter threads. Thus far I've seen lots of discussion but no confirmed cases that the cold start rattle problem has caused an engine failure. But I'll keep looking to see if I can find this SINGLE instance that you point to.

Just a suggestion, but if you want keep posting a claim like "Engines have been destroyed by the timing chain tensioner malfunction (often referred to as the "cold start rattle" or "chatter")." you might want to bookmark the specific instances you can point to that back up that claim instead of just pointing people to threads that are several hundred posts long and asking them to search for the proverbial needle. It would probably help if you could identify more than one as well.

In the meantime, I'll continue to treat your claim as just more FUD.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad-engine.html

This may be the post to which Robin was referring.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Thanks velour. Hard to tell from that whether it was the cold start rattle that caused the failure.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
I plan on simply following the Mini's recommended maintenance schedule. I drive almost all highway miles. My first oil change will probably be at around 18k. I'm under warranty with Mini for the first 50k. I also have the Geico warranty (which is a fantastic deal) up to 100k in case there are any issues.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Gooey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
My dealer sends me oil change coupons, so I use those between the annual free oil change. It's only $60 or so and I get a free loaner/rental, ect.
You've got yourself a generous dealer.

When I told my brother that Mini recommends oil changes every 15k he burst out laughing and reminded me of the time our mom didn't know what the little "genie lamp" light meant in her suburban a few years back. Engine seizure at 8k miles.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
miniinhd
2nd Gear
oil changes & mileage

Hello Owners I'm new to the mini scene I have a 2008 mc-s and how much oil does she take with filter change and are u-folks draining oil from the top or the bottom I haven't been able to find any info on maintance on my mc-s what oil do u guys use 7 filter I think oil changes should be made about 6000 miles my opinion any (HELP) on this would be (GREATLY APPRECIATED) THANKS IN ADVANCE MINIINHD

Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniinhd
Hello Owners I'm new to the mini scene I have a 2008 mc-s and how much oil does she take with filter change and are u-folks draining oil from the top or the bottom I haven't been able to find any info on maintance on my mc-s what oil do u guys use 7 filter I think oil changes should be made about 6000 miles my opinion any (HELP) on this would be (GREATLY APPRECIATED) THANKS IN ADVANCE MINIINHD
Oil changes should probably be more frequent when the engine is new, and then establishing a somewhat longer interval when the wear metals decrease. I did the first change at 1,600 miles and another about 5,000 miles later. Lately they've been yearly because I don't put many miles on it (no commute). Oil analysis indicated I could go about 8,000 miles between changes.

I like Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula (Made in Germany). Whatever you use, make sure it has a BMW LL-01, or ACEA A3 rating.

The OEM filter is best. That way your warranty is safer.

Here is a long how-to thread. Scan it all the way through as there have been corrections later in the thread.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...with-pics.html

Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
miniinhd
2nd Gear
Oil changes & Undercarriage lube

I've heard & read about oil changes What about undercarriage lube & Air filter changes is there a mileage for this too also is hard to get readings from your on board computer I haven't tried this yet has anybody gone with K&N air filters out there yet THANKS FOR YOUR INFO MINIINHD

Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
bobsax
2nd Gear
mini sf

I thought I'd try hear before I start a new thread.

I read on another (closed) thread the the free oil change was;
"1 year or 15K whichever comes first"
This is also what I remember the salesman telling me.

I have 13,000 miles and have had the car 14 months.
Mini in San Francisco says I have to wait till I get 18,000 miles or if you have less then 8,000 miles in 12 months they'll do it.

This doesn't seem right?

Last edited by bobsax; 04-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bobsax
I thought I'd try hear before I start a new thread.

I read on another (closed) thread the the free oil change was;
"1 year or 15K whichever comes first"
This is also what I remember the salesman telling me.

I have 13,000 miles and 14 and have had the car 14 months.
Mini in San Francisco says I have to wait till I get 18,000 miles or if you have less then 8,000 miles in 12 months they'll do it.

This doesn't seem right?
The reality is that the dealer is supposed to do it at 1 year intervals OR when the car tells them it needs it, which ever comes first. The car monitors the usage and determines the oil change frequency, i.e. drive the car hard and it may need a change in 15k or drive it easy and it may be 22k, drive it in death valley every day and it will need one in 9k. the car decides when it should be done.

But if your car is more than 1 year old they should do a oil change without hesitation.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
The reality is that the dealer is supposed to do it at 1 year intervals OR when the car tells them it needs it, which ever comes first. The car monitors the usage and determines the oil change frequency, i.e. drive the car hard and it may need a change in 15k or drive it easy and it may be 22k, drive it in death valley every day and it will need one in 9k. the car decides when it should be done.

But if your car is more than 1 year old they should do a oil change without hesitation.
Thanks schatzy
So, any ideas on how I can get them to do it?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
1 year----YES----

I called my dealer after I owned my car the first year and made my appointment. They took the car in and checked everything on it and would have rotated the tires but I did not want them to because I do that myself every 5,000 miles. They replaced my wiper blades and changed the oil & filter. The service was just plain great.

It did cost me $700.00 because while I was there I had them install a set of "MINI" driving lights.

I do change my own oil in between the free service because I really think that 12,000 + miles is to long to go between changes. I get my oil & filter from my Mini dealer. Changing the oil is so easy "A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT" You just have to purchase the correct tools to do it your self.

I still will go back after the second year for the service because they do put the car on the lift and inspect every single inch of it for any signs of wear & tear.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bobsax
Thanks schatzy
So, any ideas on how I can get them to do it?
Have it done at MINI of Mountain View.

However, you should be able to talk the SF dealer into an annual oil change. Ask for the Service Manager if the Service Advisor says no. Then call MINIUSA if the SM says no.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
I agree with Robin, I am on my second MINI and have never had any trouble getting the free oil change at one year intervals.

Quick Reply: R56 Oil Change interval