R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010 | 08:47 AM
IamLili
|
4th Gear
Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!

Now... Let's say I go with the Camden package in White Silver (which will most likely be the case), I then find myself with the dilemma of the roof color!

I was pretty much set on a white roof. I had seen more pics of this combo; most official pictures of the Camden feature the white roof... (I was once told that for marketing purposes, companies always showcase the best color, angle, features, etc. on their official ads.)

But then I found these:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8/ppuser/76134

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8/ppuser/69622

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5/ppuser/24242

White roof (mine would have a sunroof):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9/ppuser/24242

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9/ppuser/24242

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...b-img_0367.jpg

Do you guys think that a black roof on a light color car makes the car seem smaller (if that's possible for a Mini)? I mean, does it give the illusion that it's shorter? Am I making any sense?

Also, what are your views on the aggressiveness/sportiness... a black roof gives (or not) to such a Mini?

Of course, I'm aware this type of choice is subjective, but I'd still welcome your insights!

Official Mini pics + another I found (can't remember where), but which I like very much:

Attached Thumbnails Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!-cooper3dr-scamden-black.jpg   Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!-mini_cooper-camden-2009_r8.jpg   Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!-013-1-.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010 | 08:48 AM
IamLili
|
4th Gear
Back of car posted above...

Attached Thumbnails Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!-014-1-.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010 | 09:05 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
I went with the white roof. Looks sharp (pictures soon... I promise )

Old 03-17-2010 | 09:07 AM
smpeck
3rd Gear
I struggled with the same dilemma - my White Silver Camden has a white roof with no sunroof. I actually placed my original order with a black roof, and then changed my mind the day before the car went into production.

I'm happy with my MINI's white roof. BMW paint is known to be soft and the clearcoat scratches/etches easily - black paint is the worst. My last car was a black 135i and it was a mightmare to maintain - in the end I decided I didn't want any black paint on my MINI, especially the roof.

I think if you're getting a sunroof, you may want to go with the black roof for a more uniform appearance.

If my MINI's roof ever needs to be painted or I'm in the mood for a change, I'm going to have it painted White Silver. It's too bad this wasn't an option.

Best of luck to you! Either color will look great.

One option I wish I had added to the interior was the chrome line interior - you may want to consider this option if you haven't already.

Old 03-17-2010 | 09:36 AM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
I like the contrasting black with the white body color. I also favor the black sport stripes... but thats just what I like. I think the black roof/mirrors will bring a bit more sportyness to the Camden. But it just depends what you like. Let your MINI show your style. Thats what is so great about a MINI: with all of the available options, you can make it your own!

Old 03-17-2010 | 10:59 AM
raleighdog
1st Gear
I went with black because that's what was at the port. I originally wanted the white, and the pictures online look sweet. However, I actually like the black a lot and am happy I got it. The white roof is so close to the body color that they may as well paint the whole car the silver-white color. Don't stew on it; you'll be happy with whatever you get---it's a Camden!

EDIT: I like that the sunroof blends into the black roof too.

Old 03-17-2010 | 12:07 PM
scotteast
Old School!
I've always liked the contrast of a light colored car with a dark roof and vice versa, so I would get the black roof on a white silver car.

Old 03-17-2010 | 02:48 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Custom LBM would be sweet!

Old 03-17-2010 | 05:14 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
I have dark silver and went with the black roof and i really like it a lot...but i think in your case the white roof looks great..especially with the sunroof...it will get a LOT of attention.

Old 03-17-2010 | 06:39 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
The only way I'd get a Camden is if it was all Midnight Black. I guess I just don't understand what the whole deal with the Camden is, other than being a "50th Anniversary," but that $4500 package price is a huge turn off to me. I could find sooooo many better ways to spend that money on my car.

Old 03-17-2010 | 06:44 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE

Midnight Black Camden. Also offered in Horizon Blue and White Silver.

Midnight Black Mayfair. Also offered in Pepper White and Hot Chocolate.

Last edited by Porthos; 03-17-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:06 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
The only way I'd get a Camden is if it was all Midnight Black. I guess I just don't understand what the whole deal with the Camden is, other than being a "50th Anniversary," but that $4500 package price is a huge turn off to me. I could find sooooo many better ways to spend that money on my car.

Makes the price of a JCW look real good.

Old 03-17-2010 | 07:20 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE

My favorite Camden if I just had the $35k. It doesn't show the JCW body kit though which makes it look way better, even though it still looks awesome

Old 03-21-2010 | 08:05 AM
IamLili
|
4th Gear
Thanks a lot for your input everyone! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by smpeck
One option I wish I had added to the interior was the chrome line interior - you may want to consider this option if you haven't already.
I'm not sure what this looks like, but I'll inquire about it, thanks!

Originally Posted by miniSQ
I have dark silver and went with the black roof and i really like it a lot...but i think in your case the white roof looks great..especially with the sunroof...it will get a LOT of attention.
Why do you say so? Because the white roof showcases well the huge black sunroof?

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Well it all depends on what one thinks are important options on a car. However, on a purely $ angle, a similarly equipped Cooper S is more that $2K higher than the Cooper Camden S... Maybe the comparison is less favorable in the States. In Canada, the sunroof is included in the Camden package, therefore this may just sway the package's price in our favor. (That would be a first, as even if our dollar is close to parity with the US dollar, we pay a looot more for our cars...) Aside from the unique color (White Silver) and 50th Anniversary aesthetic details, the rest of the package consists of options you can choose individually on any Cooper. The options included in the Camden package are of importance to me, and I would want to add them to any other Cooper S I would configure. Therefore, for the reasons stated above, I'm leaning towards the Camden S. But if I could have a similarly equipped CR Cooper S, at the Camden's price point, I have to say that I'd probably go with that option...

I STAND CORRECTED. I MISINTERPRETED THE TOTAL PRICE OF BOTH CARS IN THE MINI CONFIGURATOR. I THOUGHT THE TOTAL PRICE DID NOT INCLUDE THE OPTIONS SELECTED (I KNOW, ODD THINKING ON MY PART). SO I WAS ADDING THE OPTIONS TO THE TOTAL PRICE. THAT GAVE ME THE CONTEXT MENTIONED ABOVE. HENCE, WITH THE CORRECT NUMBERS, THE COOPER S IS $1,010 LESS THAN THE CAMDEN S -- BUT THE MONTHLY PAYMENTS ARE HIGHER BY $38. WHAT GIVES?

Originally Posted by Porthos

My favorite Camden if I just had the $35k. It doesn't show the JCW body kit though which makes it look way better, even though it still looks awesome
Argh! That confuses me even more - great!

Last edited by IamLili; 03-22-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Correction to my interpretation...
Old 03-21-2010 | 08:47 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
I am throwing out the some ideas. Get on MINIUSA and play with the different combination till you find what you like the most. That was just some that I liked plus I wanted to let people know that there are different colors you can get the 50th anniversary models in. Plus if you want a Camden or Mayfair you might want to hurry because they will stop making them soon

Old 03-21-2010 | 10:18 AM
Agent.COOPER
3rd Gear
I would personally vote for a white roof... but the black also looks quite sharp! I agree with smpeck though, if you want a sunroof... go for black

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2010 | 05:51 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I didn't read all the posts but IMO the color white (roof) is too close to the body body color.

I think it should either be the color of the body or black and since you can't get it in the color of the car, black would be my first choice.

When we paint cars at the shop whether it's two tone or getting a fake convertible top, the colors need to contrast so at a distance you can differentiate them enough so it doesn't look like it's just a poor match.

But opinions are like.... you know the rest.

Good luck on your decision.

Mark

Old 03-22-2010 | 12:41 PM
scottmd
3rd Gear
I gave a lot of thought to this before placing the order for my Camden Cooper S.

I tend to agree with the idea of a sunroof looking better on a black roof because it kind of "blends in".

In the end though...I went with a white roof and the sunroof. It was my 12 year old daughter that made the interesting observation that she thought that the white roof/black sunroof played off of the black and white interior.

I kind of liked that idea....but as said by others...it's all a matter of personal tastes.

Old 03-22-2010 | 05:09 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I vote for body color.

Old 03-22-2010 | 05:50 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
I vote for body color.

can't do body color on the white silver metallic

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:44 PM
raleighdog
1st Gear
Congrats on deciding and getting on with getting it! I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:58 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by VMCMDN
can't do body color on the white silver metallic
Whoops, then black.

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:37 AM
smpeck
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scottmd
I gave a lot of thought to this before placing the order for my Camden Cooper S.

I tend to agree with the idea of a sunroof looking better on a black roof because it kind of "blends in".

In the end though...I went with a white roof and the sunroof. It was my 12 year old daughter that made the interesting observation that she thought that the white roof/black sunroof played off of the black and white interior.

I kind of liked that idea....but as said by others...it's all a matter of personal tastes.
Either way it's going to look great! Good luck with your ordering/wait period - it was about 5 weeks for me from the day I ordered to the day I took delivery.

Old 03-25-2010 | 08:45 AM
white_335i
Neutral
Hello

Hello - This is my first post. I currently drive a 09 BMW 335I. I am looking to trade this car in and get a MINI. There is a Camden package one available at my dealership and I am working on the price. The car has Camden,Cold packages and the roof. It is a white with black top. If you all don't mind, can you tell me how much you paid for the car. If you don't want to post it here, please PM me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Abi.

Old 03-29-2010 | 03:48 PM
IamLili
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scottmd

Wow! Great insight from your 12 year old!

I get that the sunroof blends in with the black roof, but I've never thought "Hey, if I get a light colored car, I won't get a sunroof cause it will show too much!". But that's the beauty of a Mini - customization!

Originally Posted by raleighdog
Congrats on deciding and getting on with getting it! I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Much thanks!

Originally Posted by smpeck
Either way it's going to look great! Good luck with your ordering/wait period - it was about 5 weeks for me from the day I ordered to the day I took delivery.
I think so too, and thanks! Now leaning towards a black roof... but who knows what will happen on order day!

Thanks everyone!!!

Quick Reply: R56 Camden White Silver - White or Black Roof?!