R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 Mini Cooper Base Muffler Size

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 AM
jojo8026
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Base Muffler Size

Hello, i am looking to upgrade my stock muffler to a cherry bomb universal glasspack muffler. What dimensions does the stock muffler have. Ive been looking all around the internet for the measurements for the stock muffler so i dont buy one that wont fit. Thanks

Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 PM
jojo8026
Neutral
exhaust length

what is the exhaust length for the base 2009 mini cooper. also would cherry bomb glass packs or pros work on the base 09 mini cooper.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Work? Work for what? They will make a lot more noise. They will look like crap. They will probably sound like crap too.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's see if we can give some more constructive/helpful responses.

RESPECT
When posting, both members and vendors must ALWAYS be respectful of fellow members and vendors. Personal attacks, trolling/baiting, deliberate antagonizing, and flaming will not be tolerated. If you feel you are being attacked, report the post or private message rather than replying or flaming back. However, do not use the report bad post feature to "cry wolf" when you are in fact the instigator of the demise of a discussion. Doing so will result in an infraction or strike.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:04 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
OK I think that the comment from richardsperry was supposed to sound like this:

OP: you might want to consider some of the other MINI-specific exhaust systems available for your MINI. There are a number out there, all of which serve somewhat different purposes - in all kinds of price ranges.

If it is sound you want then possibly the Cherry Bomb might be what you want - although I think that there are other options out there which might be more appropriately "tuned" for the sound coming out of the turbo engine. It seems to me that Cherry Bombs tend to aimed at v6 / v8 engines and are generally aimed at making your car sound "bigger" than it is. I have never heard one on a MINI so I don't know what it would sound like. Since there are not many (ANY!) examples of this being added onto the MINI I can only suspect that there is a good reason for it.

If it is power you want the I think that a cat- or turbo-back system might be in order. There are some outstanding aftermarket ones - NM Engineering, Borla, Factory JCW, Scorpion and MagnaFlow to name a few. Each is a little different and all of them are made to fit the MINI.

I would encourage you to check out some of the videos on here and youtube for the sounds. Even better - find a local gathering and see what others have on to help make the right decsion.

Please note that I am not an exhaust expert - just going by what I have read on here and general common sense.

Finally, if its dimensions you want why don't you go out and measure the one you have now?

Edit: AH I think that i understand now. CB Glasspacks are C H E A P. You are looking at $40 + install instead of starting at $300. Well good luck with that. I still vote for the tape measure.

Last edited by jsargevt; 07-03-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Ah undertsand the line of reasoning...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 AM
OldTimer
1st Gear
If the OP wants to mod the exhaust in an inexpensive manner, there's always the "One Ball" exhaust mod. I think most shops would do it for $50-$75. I can sympathize with the OP on the expense issue. Most tuners think that performance wise, headers and all the wonderful-sounding exhausts in the world give the least performance gain per dollar, and really come into their own on a highly modified and tuned engine. What they do satisfy is the brain... or at least your hearing.

Over the years, I've been guilty more than once of tearing off a factory muffler and replacing it with an Abarth dual-tip resonator on a few of my old British sports cars. Loved the sound. It didn't make them faster, but it made me drive a little more aggressively LOL as I imagined I was on some road circuit winding through the gears.

Lastly... is it so hard to give the guy a reasonable answer and not get sarcastic?

Last edited by OldTimer; 07-07-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jojo8026
Hello, i am looking to upgrade my stock muffler to a cherry bomb universal glasspack muffler. What dimensions does the stock muffler have. Ive been looking all around the internet for the measurements for the stock muffler so i dont buy one that wont fit. Thanks

Try this....... It has been known to work wonders......

Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTimer
If the OP wants to mod the exhaust in an inexpensive manner, there's always the "One Ball" exhaust mod. I think most shops would do it for $50-$75. I can sympathize with the OP on the expense issue. Most tuners think that performance wise, headers and all the wonderful-sounding exhausts in the world give the least performance gain per dollar, and really come into their own on a highly modified and tuned engine. What they do satisfy is the brain... or at least your hearing.

Over the years, I've been guilty more than once of tearing off a factory muffler and replacing it with an Abarth dual-tip resonator on a few of my old British sports cars. Loved the sound. It didn't make them faster, but it made me drive a little more aggressively LOL as I imagined I was on some road circuit winding through the gears.

Lastly... is it so hard to give the guy a reasonable answer and not get sarcastic?
No one ball on r56 Cooper. It goes striaght from the exhaust manifold to the muffler.

quote=jsargevt;3083111]OK I think that the comment from richardsperry was supposed to sound like this:

OP: you might want to consider some of the other MINI-specific exhaust systems available for your MINI. There are a number out there, all of which serve somewhat different purposes - in all kinds of price ranges.

If it is sound you want then possibly the Cherry Bomb might be what you want - although I think that there are other options out there which might be more appropriately "tuned" for the sound coming out of the turbo engine. It seems to me that Cherry Bombs tend to aimed at v6 / v8 engines and are generally aimed at making your car sound "bigger" than it is. I have never heard one on a MINI so I don't know what it would sound like. Since there are not many (ANY!) examples of this being added onto the MINI I can only suspect that there is a good reason for it.

If it is power you want the I think that a cat- or turbo-back system might be in order. There are some outstanding aftermarket ones - NM Engineering, Borla, Factory JCW, Scorpion and MagnaFlow to name a few. Each is a little different and all of them are made to fit the MINI.

I would encourage you to check out some of the videos on here and youtube for the sounds. Even better - find a local gathering and see what others have on to help make the right decsion.

Please note that I am not an exhaust expert - just going by what I have read on here and general common sense.

Finally, if its dimensions you want why don't you go out and measure the one you have now?

Edit: AH I think that i understand now. CB Glasspacks are C H E A P. You are looking at $40 + install instead of starting at $300. Well good luck with that. I still vote for the tape measure.[/quote]

Sorry to say, even though he could have put it in a little bit better, hes right it will make your MINI sound like garabage. If I were you I would look at a universal resenator and muffler. You probably have a better sound exhaust with some personalization. I wish that there were more exhaust options for the Cooper but there really isn't.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM
OldTimer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
No one ball on r56 Cooper. It goes striaght from the exhaust manifold to the muffler.
I confess to only owning my MCS for 10 days GULP! Never even looked underneath it yet. Well, if it goes straight back to the muffler it might make it easier for the OP to experiment.