R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Will someone please explain to my wife that this is perfectly acceptable behavior...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will someone please explain to my wife that this is perfectly acceptable behavior...

I wash my car 2-3 times a week. It seems the last few weeks EVERY time I wash my car, it rains.

My wife says "don't wash it".

I say nay...

So I washed it and because it was clean and rained on the way home, I blew the water off.

Tell her it's completely normal...

Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Mini Mee
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for a new wife I've washed my cars and motorcycles in the Garage while it was raining outside..

Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Achilless
4th Gear
There was this one time I washed my car when it was raining... but then in the garage to dry and wax, when the mini needs a bath, I give her a bath

Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NORMAL!!!!!!
That is absolutely perfectly acceptible behavior! I have washed my mini while it has rained and snowed (in my garage). Yep even used the air hose to help blow off the water...... I think I have the cleanest car around here in the winter time.....I wash it at least once a week in my garage which is heated and insulated and has hot and cold water.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by futuremini
NORMAL!!!!!!
That is absolutely perfectly acceptible behavior! I have washed my mini while it has rained and snowed (in my garage). Yep even used the air hose to help blow off the water...... I think I have the cleanest car around here in the winter time.....I wash it at least once a week in my garage which is heated and insulated and has hot and cold water.

YOU are not a good character witness. Everyone knows you are as **** as I am.

I need a normal person to step up and confirm...

Mark

Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
......yea my wife would agree with your wife!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Tater Tot
2nd Gear
Only two or three times a week, even when its raining. Thats nothing, I live at 9'600 feet and do that when its SNOWING!!! To get the mag chloride off. In my heated garage. Completely normal tell her, but I won't give her my wifes phone number.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Rowdy
3rd Gear
I wash mine bare min. twice a week.. and it'd get washed more often if I had more time!! My ex thought I was nuts when I'd pull the wheels off to clean the insides and brought out q-tips.. hence why shes an ex

Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ya normal and. And if you had real commitment you wouldn't be washing your MINI in the winter inside your garage, you would be out in the snow doing it. I'm just saying. While I lived in Hawaii, I washed the MINI about once a week or more. Against popular belief that is always sunny and beautiful out there it rains everyday and most times multiple times a day. So if you want to wash your car your out there in the rain washing. Less water usage when you do that.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:06 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
See.....we are all perfectly normal......

Old 07-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Dear Mrs. OrangeCrush:

You must accept, first of all, that nothing about any Mini owner is normal.

Given that threshold, there is nothing at all unusual about using a leaf blower to dry one's most important, er, uh, second most important (wives are always first, you know) asset.

In fact, he is to be congratulated on his restraint given that he was not using your HEATED hair dryer -- which of course would have been much more costly -- more effective -- but much more costly.

Please accept his behavior as normal.

And be warned, you probably ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til he takes all of its wheels off to wash away a speck of dust that couldn't be reached any other way (took me almost an hour to do mine).

If it gets to be too bothersome, you should consider buying a Mini of your own to fight back with. Then at least, you could argue over who gets to use the leaf blower first. But remember, the hair dryer is yours.

Sincerely,

Another one of 'em

(Hey Orange, how was that???)

Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
Dear Mrs. OrangeCrush:

You must accept, first of all, that nothing about any Mini owner is normal.

Given that threshold, there is nothing at all unusual about using a leaf blower to dry one's most important, er, uh, second most important (wives are always first, you know) asset.

In fact, he is to be congratulated on his restraint given that he was not using your HEATED hair dryer -- which of course would have been much more costly -- more effective -- but much more costly.

Please accept his behavior as normal.

And be warned, you probably ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til he takes all of its wheels off to wash away a speck of dust that couldn't be reached any other way (took me almost an hour to do mine).

If it gets to be too bothersome, you should consider buying a Mini of your own to fight back with. Then at least, you could argue over who gets to use the leaf blower first. But remember, the hair dryer is yours.

Sincerely,

Another one of 'em

(Hey Orange, how was that???)

She just rolled her eyes....

I can't find it but I had a pic when she took it of me taking the wheels off and cleaning the backside...lol.

Mark

Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just invite me to your next family BBQ Mark and I'll explain it to her No ones as obsessed about a clean car as I am I was literally soaping up the MINI during the peak of the thunderstorm we had the other day.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 07-17-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Brad79
2nd Gear
I wash my MINI twice a week, QD, and dust the outside and inside everyday. I have also washed in the snow. It was not snowing when I started though. It started about half way through my routine. I used to remove my wheels to clean inside the rim, but I have since purchased a greet wheel cleaning bush that gets in all of the spaces. I have a set of black Team Dynamics on the way. I will continue to scrub my wheels black or not.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Mark

Ask her didn't she shower and yet she's just going to go out and get dirty again tomorrow?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
See Mark, again I say we are all perfectly normal.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
There is Nothing wrong in cleaning it as often as you do, and as far as taking the wheels off to clean them and the wheel wells, just do what i do.
I have 5 or 6 sets of wheels now, and I just swap them out, always have a clean set ready to go. Actually waiting for the next set of Hyperblack to arrive on Wednesday.
I am lucky that my other half really says nothing, she new years ago how I was with the cars. She actualy does not clean hers, but wont drive it dirty either, so she never complains on me cleaning all of them, and has come to accept my OCD with wheels.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NightFlyR
She actualy does not clean hers,
We have that in common.

but wont drive it dirty either

That's where we're different... I won't clean her. If she wants to drive in a pig sty, then let her. I just try not to drive her jeep anyways. (it's PINK)

Her Jeep was sooooo dirty, she spent 5 hours cleaning it just so she could take it to the detailers and have it done professionally.

Mark

Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
We have that in common.

That's where we're different... I won't clean her. If she wants to drive in a pig sty, then let her. I just try not to drive her jeep anyways. (it's PINK)

Her Jeep was sooooo dirty, she spent 5 hours cleaning it just so she could take it to the detailers and have it done professionally.

Mark

I feel your pain, but then again as I sit here typing she is cleaning the house, 4 baths,( 2 daughters with there own bathrooms that she cleans, you know what that is like) does all the laundry, takes care of the cat, and I never have to food shop. She works full time and never complains about all the cars, and my racing, Autocrossing, DE. So keeping the cars clean is pretty simple, actually I get off easy, cause most of them just go to the car wash, and then I wax them.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:59 AM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
I wash my wife's Prius once a year, but I keep my MINI so clean you could eat off of it. Why is she so pissed at me???? Just kidding. lol

Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Achilless
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
And if you had real commitment you wouldn't be washing your MINI in the winter inside your garage, you would be out in the snow doing it. I'm just saying. While I lived in Hawaii, I washed the MINI about once a week or more. Against popular belief that is always sunny and beautiful out there it rains everyday and most times multiple times a day. So if you want to wash your car your out there in the rain washing. Less water usage when you do that.
To speak for Totor Tot, I am also in his situation having to drive my mini in the snow. Sucks, but I don't have the luxary of buying a winter beater and not driving it. But I go through a laser car wash 2 times a week to get the underneath and I wash it once a week. Trust me, you would not know it's been though 5 winters.. It's an '05 with not a mark on it.
To say he doesn't have commitment to his mini is wrong.

Porthos, do you live where you get feet of snow daily? One could say your not comitted to the fun of driving your mini. From autocrossing, to late night joy rides, traveling. That's fun mini driving. BUT, if you havnt experienced feet of snow and ice taking a trip snowboarding in Colorado, Scandinavian flick in the snow, in my town, in the winter, there are no road rules. you do what u have to to get to your destination. I need to go 60 mph on a side road to get up a hill at my house, speed limit it 20.. I've gone down a road backwards because my front lip/bumper plows snow, cops just laugh. it actually is a whole different experience that I kinda look foward to. Just my opinion

Last edited by Achilless; 07-18-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM
michmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush

She just rolled her eyes....

I can't find it but I had a pic when she took it of me taking the wheels off and cleaning the backside...lol.

Mark

That's impressive!
My husband thinks I'm nuts too and rolls his eyes whenever I start blathering about the cars... I just bought a Mini and I own a 2006 Pontiac Solstice - both ton of fun cars to drive. I like to see them sparkle in the moonlight.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilless
To speak for Totor Tot, I am also in his situation having to drive my mini in the snow. Sucks, but I don't have the luxary of buying a winter beater and not driving it. But I go through a laser car wash 2 times a week to get the underneath and I wash it once a week. Trust me, you would not know it's been though 5 winters.. It's an '05 with not a mark on it.
To say he doesn't have commitment to his mini is wrong.

Porthos, do you live where you get feet of snow daily? One could say your not comitted to the fun of driving your mini. From autocrossing, to late night joy rides, traveling. That's fun mini driving. BUT, if you havnt experienced feet of snow and ice taking a trip snowboarding in Colorado, Scandinavian flick in the snow, in my town, in the winter, there are no road rules. you do what u have to to get to your destination. I need to go 60 mph on a side road to get up a hill at my house, speed limit it 20.. I've gone down a road backwards because my front lip/bumper plows snow, cops just laugh. it actually is a whole different experience that I kinda look foward to. Just my opinion
It wasn't meant as a joke but, also no I do not live were it snows. I absolutely hate snow. If I see snow I don't drive. It's all in good fun.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Tater Tot
2nd Gear
Achilless, I feel your pain with the snow. I live in Keystone,CO. @ 9'600 ft. I have a retail store in Winter Park,CO. So I drive over two passes almost everyday @ over 11'000 ft. I use Nokian RSI winter tires and I have plowed through snow at over a foot deep. If your coming to MTTS or MITM next month you can see the route I take. Its awesome. But as for washing let me comment on one of the above. I used to clean my wifes car also sometime spending A QUICK TWO OR THREE HOURS ON IT, she used to get so mad at me. So I asked would you rather me not, and her answer was yes, meaning she would do it. Well the inside of that car hasn't seen a vacumn in two years. she also hates the smell of ARMOROL. So I just do my cars and leave hers to her to take car of. I enjoy a clean car and as we all know a clean car drives much better.

Quick Reply: R56 Will someone please explain to my wife that this is perfectly acceptable behavior...