R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How good is Harman Kardon System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How good is Harman Kardon System?

Guys/Gals

Help me with my new MCS order... please.

I'm on the fence with the HK sound system. I've read here that the HK isn't worth the extra $750 and some said that it's only a little better than the stock.

I've had HK system in my bmw before but that has extra subwoofers while the MINI HK does not. My plan is to play the mp3 through the aux inputs only. My music are mostly pop/hiphop (50%), classical (25%) others (25%).

Will the HK provide a better listening environment providing that the MCS is quite loud on the road already, especially with the roar of the turbo engine.

Advices greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I got the HK and never looked back. If your going to start upgrading your system with aftermarket parts, then I don't see the value. But for me, I wanted the better sound and didn't care to upgrade to aftermarket products and I saw a noticeable difference from the HI FI to the HK. I happen to like it, sounds good will flat out crank for a stock setup.

My .02 cents

Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Calz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS with H/K sound and USB + flash drive and your set. Nothing aftermarket... its a very good system. Unless you play music REALLY REALLY loud its great. And even if you do play it really loud its still clear and sharp

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
thunderball kaboom
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I took my Cooper S with the H/K system into the dealer for service. They gave me a loaner MINI with the standard radio. The standard radio has a much flatter sound than the H/K - I'm not a audiophile, but the sound difference is quite noticeable.

From what I understand, upgrading the stereo later (factory or aftermarket) is a bit complex. I'd go with the best sound system you can get.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM
chessyang
1st Gear
Short summary my previous MC never had it and now my new (used) one doesn't either. I will say if you don't care to upgrade it your self then buy the HK. The few times I've heard MC w/ them and other cars makes me regret not doing the upgrade. =( it sounds wayyyyyy better. And yeah I'll (someday) upgrade the stock speakers. =p

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM
fallenangel73
1st Gear
i totally agree with thunderball kaboom... our old MCS had standard sound system and i tried to upgrade....just toooo much work... and we just got 2010 Mayfair MCS (came with H/K sound) i can tell the difference right away.. just like thunderball said ... standard sound system sounded very flatter... if u listen radio/music a lot... you should get H/K sound...

Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's better than the standard system, but it still isn't very good. I really wish BMW would find a way to put the logic7 system in, or just outsource the audio to a comapny that's really good.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 AM
fanta
2nd Gear
It is decent for what it is but a huge step down from the Bose system I had in my Audi S4. If you plan on upgrading anyway, and I would if you are an audiophile, then I wouldn't spend the money on the H/K.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 AM
amberback
5th Gear
I have the 2010 hk sound and it sounds great!
I heard the earlier years weren't as good of an upgrade - but MINI and hk completely re-vamped the system for 2010. There was an article about it in The MINI International magazine.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 AM
ajhenslo
Neutral
Loving the H/K System

I had the stock radio in my '07 MCS and just upgraded with the Camden package for my '10 to the H/K. I've only had the car for two weeks, but this is by far my favorite upgrade (right next to the look of the Camden package). To me it's night and day and worth the cost.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Oh, and you can get it packaged with the sunroof. If you want the sunroof and the hk then it is a great deal.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the H/K in my WC50. Compared to the HiFi system in my wifes JCW Clubman it is better. It is crisper and clearer.

As others have said it is not as good as premium offerings from other companies. Just came out of an Audi S5 with the Bang & Olfsen system. It was very clear even when played loud. (There were audiophiles that still complained about it though)

If you are always listening to music then spend the extra money. Switch MINI head units is very complicated.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely worth it. As WRX said above, changing out the h/u is difficult. MINI even offers their own aftermarket option for those that didn't get the h/k sound with the Alpine system, but it is said to not be as good and costs twice as much with installation. Any decent aftermarket speakers will probably run you close to the same price as the h/k system once you factor in installation. Plus with the satellite and hd radio included, might as well get the best of all worlds!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
chronoguy
Neutral
The dealer sold the car I originally wanted so he gave me a car with the HK system as a bonus.
There was a big difference in sound quality. My other car has a 550 watt HK Logic 7 which sounds crisper but in the Mini, the HK is very loud. I guess it is due to the smaller interior but it definitely rocks.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
So with the HK system, you can still hear the music with some good clarity through all the engine/road noise in the car?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
The HK system overpowers any road or engine noise. I absolutely LOVE my HK system and is so much better than the stock system. You can't even compare the two. I don't think the MINI is that loud on the inside to begin with.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have an 08, so the HK system wasn't an option :(

But I do have the upgraded HiFi....and currently I have a 2010 loaner which has the new HK in it. It's much better than the HiFi, however it still does not compare to the HK that was in the R53. That was the best system I've ever heard in a car from the factory. (Other than Audi's Bang Olufsen)

Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have no complaints... then again 20psi is my music lol.

I do play all types of music from house to opera and i will have to make adjustments here and there but it is super clear, too much bass at fact. settings though.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
tgs91
4th Gear
This is a dangerous question, this is like asking what is the best performance tire. For you it might be a snow tire and for me it is a set of ultimium maxium extreme summer sticky as glue's. Hard to tell on a forum your relative tastes or driving style or skill

My .2$....

I have a 07 that came with a stock, absolutely sucked. I consider myself a audio buff so I took the output of the MINI head unit and put it through 2 250 Watt digital Amps, Sound Proofing the car and some really nice Hertz speakers up front and a 10'' sub-woofer in the boot. About $5K spent and I want more.......sigh

The wife's 10' with the HK Premium is not bad to my audio ear but then again I really have not tested it

I'd go and check it out at the dealers and let your ears be the judge. My opinion really means squat

Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
QBear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
much better than the HiFi, however it still does not compare to the HK that was in the R53.
Sorry, Thumper, but I'll disagree. I had the HK in my '03 MCS and now have it in my '10 MCS. I like the system and find virtually no difference in the previous compared to the new.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
For a $750 option, you guys/gals are really making it easy to choose HK rather than go diy route that can go up to $k's.

I was concern on the difference between stock and HK and it seems HK is the only way to go if I want to appreciate good music. I heard that bmw cars have good stock sound system but it doesn't appear that this generalization applies to MINI brand. And coming from a bmw with Logic7 HK system, I have no choice... TWIST my arm.... :P

Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to the article in the MINI International Magazine focused on the Harmon Kardon Sound system alot of changes were made to the car and its accoustical profile for this system.

Harman Kardon claimed that they engineered both the insides of the enclosures and the DSP portions of the amp to tune the car accoustically for the sound system( which is why there are no DSP presets or EQ settings on the HK system).
Harman Kardon claimed they added extra soundproofing(not sure what kind if any really was added) to help with road noises.
Harman Kardon claimed they did more sound engineering work on this system and car than they have on any other Harman Kardon system in any other car.
Harmon Kardon claimed there were ten speakers in the car. At first I couldnt find all ten but they are all there...There are two(tweeter mounted in the grille of the larger speaker) in the same enclosure in the back seat area.

I assume while it was a PR piece it was still somewhat grounded in fact since I dont think they would pay an HK sound engineer to lie in an interview.

I have been VERY happy with my HK system and think that it was worth the cost paid for it. I like the extra speakers it has over the basic ones too. HK system is MILES above the basic system but is NOT something the super audiophile types will be happy with. If you are the average user who wants acceptable quality and performance at a lower cost than DIY and want to avoid all the wiring and upgrade work of a DIY then by all means go with the HK system... BUT and this is a huge BUT if you are the type that thinks you can hear the difference in dbs or whatever from a speaker and have to have super hi fidelity or accoustical accuracy then go DIY......

Last edited by Kodan; 09-15-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
newmanium
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cccplus
I was concern on the difference between stock and HK and it seems HK is the only way to go if I want to appreciate good music. I heard that bmw cars have good stock sound system but it doesn't appear that this generalization applies to MINI brand. And coming from a bmw with Logic7 HK system, I have no choice... TWIST my arm.... :P
BMWs typically have AWFUL stock systems. They've been getting better, but for 2010 the stock system on the 3-series and the X5 was 4 speakers. The previous year they were using a 10 speaker system...

I'm in a '11 328 loaner right now with stock system, and it's absolutely horrible. Good enough for sports and oldies, pathetic for anything else.

Most of the youth-oriented economy cars nowadays have much better stock systems than BMW or Mini provides. Sad.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodan
Harman Kardon claimed they added extra soundproofing(not sure what kind if any really was added) to help with road noises.
I've been upgrading the HiFi system in my 2009 MCS to the new HK option, and I can tell you there are new soundguides in the rear that channel the sound pressure to the cabin instead of letting it leak around behind the side trim panels.

Originally Posted by Kodan
BUT if you are the type that thinks you can hear the difference in dbs or whatever from a speaker and have to have super hi fidelity or accoustical accuracy then go DIY......
People that are that **** about audio quality should already know that a car's interior is not conducive to what they're after.

Originally Posted by newmanium
Most of the youth-oriented economy cars nowadays have much better stock systems than BMW or Mini provides. Sad.
I'd much rather have a nice car with a shitty sound system than the other way around.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
I've been upgrading the HiFi system in my 2009 MCS to the new HK option, and I can tell you there are new soundguides in the rear that channel the sound pressure to the cabin instead of letting it leak around behind the side trim panels.
Well thats good to know. Sounds like there were improvements in soundproofing/sound profile on the HK over the stock as was discussed.

People that are that **** about audio quality should already know that a car's interior is not conducive to what they're after.
True but that still doesnt stop some of them from expecting or seeking ultimate fidelity in every system they own or ******* ones that are nice systems but not up to "standards". I frequented some other audio forums for a bit when I was looking for some nice headphones the eqo and attitude from some of the hardcore people was really crazy. I get that there are awesome systems out there and I like to have a good system but I dont really care what its watts or total harmonic distortion or what the range is for the crossovers or any of that crap... I just want to know will it sound good to me and is it a good value compared to other options etc...

I'd much rather have a nice car with a shitty sound system than the other way around.
Id rather have both be nice but yeah I could deal with a substandard stereo if the car was nice enough everywhere else.

Quick Reply: R56 How good is Harman Kardon System?