R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 comfort access question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
davidlj3
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comfort access question

Can you leave the fob in your pocket while starting the car? If so, is the only reason to put the fob in the ignition slot is to charge the fob battery?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
amberback
5th Gear
No, the fob does not need to go in the ignition to start the car. It just needs to be in the car - so your pocket is fine.

I don't think the ignition actually charges the battery. But if the battery is dead in the fob, it will start the car when in the ignition.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The key FOB uses watch batteries. It does not get charged if you have it in the ignition.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non Comfort Access vehicles place the key in the slot and the battery charges. No replaceable battery.

Comfort Access vehicles have a watch battery just as onefish2 stated that needs replacement every couple of years. If the key is in the slot, it does not charge the battery at all. You only need to put the key in the slot if the battery in the fob is completely discharged so it can read the key code. Also, some functions like auto up windows are disabled without the key in the slot with the door open. Weird I know.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM
davidlj3
Neutral
Thanks everybody!! Looking at buying a mini and my wife has a Camry hybrid with the same comfort type system and I want it on my car. Love it on her car.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
I have comfort access and the battery comments are correct; the battery is replaceable.

The only time the FOB needs to be in the slot is when it is programmed. You can program auto lock, which doors unlock when the button on the door handle is depressed, number of blinks on the turn signals, etc. Each FOB needs to be programmed and can be programmed for different functions. My FOB is programmed to unlock all doors when the button on the door handle is depressed and on the FOB my wife carries only the driver’s door unlocks.

Auto-up windows work if the key isn’t in the ignition slot.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:02 AM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
If I am at a convenience store and happen to be 50 feet from my car but still inside the building in the checkout line, can someone get into my car? How close do you have to be to the car in order for it to unlock when someone touches the door handle?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R56 Wi MINI
If I am at a convenience store and happen to be 50 feet from my car but still inside the building in the checkout line, can someone get into my car? How close do you have to be to the car in order for it to unlock when someone touches the door handle?
My CA works up to about 6 feet away.
There is a button on the door handle that has to be pushed - not just touch the door handle. The button is a bit harder to push in than I expected. There is also a 1 or 2 second delay. I find myself using the FOB buttons more than the CA buttons for the main doors. It's great on the clubman rear door. The CA is built into the door latch so you don't have to push a button on that.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbobp
I have comfort access and the battery comments are correct; the battery is replaceable.

The only time the FOB needs to be in the slot is when it is programmed. You can program auto lock, which doors unlock when the button on the door handle is depressed, number of blinks on the turn signals, etc. Each FOB needs to be programmed and can be programmed for different functions. My FOB is programmed to unlock all doors when the button on the door handle is depressed and on the FOB my wife carries only the driver’s door unlocks.

Auto-up windows work if the key isn’t in the ignition slot.
Another reason to put the FOB in the slot once in a while is to transfer service information to the memory in the FOB.

When the engine is off and the FOB is not in the slot, the windows and sunroof do not operate at all IF a door is open.

With engine on and a door is open then the windows will operate but auto up will be disabled. Auto down will still work.
When engine off and a door is open, and FOB is in the slot, then the windows operate same as with engine running.

Last edited by klricks; 09-17-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by klricks
Another reason to put the FOB in the slot once in a while is to transfer service information to the memory in the FOB.

When the engine is off and the FOB is not in the slot, the windows and sunroof do not operate at all IF a door is open.

With engine on and a door is open then the windows will operate but auto up will be disabled. Auto down will still work.
When engine off and a door is open, and FOB is in the slot, then the windows operate same as with engine running.
I don’t have a sunroof, so I wasn’t aware it didn’t work with the door open and I’m not sure if I have tried to open a window with a door open. I do know auto-up works –with the door closed- if the FOB isn’t in the slot.
Originally Posted by R56 Wi MINI
Often if I stand with my right hip next to the car door and my left hip, I keep the FOB in my left front pocket, is away from the door and I have to turn my left hip toward the door in order to make the comfort access work. I haven’t tried it, but I’d be willing to bet the buttons on the FOB operate much further away from the MINI than the comfort access does.

I’m in the service business and I’m in\out of my car a number of times a day. I leave the FOB in my pocket and I rarely use it. I love the comfort access.