R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I am so fed up... this is the last straw.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so fed up... this is the last straw.

As many of you know, my relationship with my dealer hasn't been "stellar". Since I do a lot of the work for a group of dealerships that owns my local dealership, I don't ever give them poor CSI ratings or reports as a courtesy.

It seems like every time I take my car into the dealership, something gets screwed up. For those that have ever read my posts, you'd know I've had broken windshields, cut mouldings, mirrors replaced, dents in my doors, broken door glass among other things that they've damaged.

So, yesterday as Oscar was getting his finishing touches, I noticed this...

I'm like, WTF??? Why is my VIN number missing?

Upon closer inspection, it appears that my VIN tag is covered up with black electrical tape???

I don't get it... the VIN tag is ONLY accessible if the windshield is completely removed. Well, the only person that has EVER touched the windshield is the dealer.

Why they would place electrical tape over the VIN is beyond me. I called the dealer up and they were befuddled as well, the service manager said they want to look at it but they just can't understand how they would do something like that.

I took the "A" pillar off the windshield post and used a paperclip to try to snag the electrical tape since that's all that would reach in there.

All I succeeded in doing was removing a tiny amount of the electrical tape and scratching the hell out of the VIN tag.

So I guess I'll have to pull the windshield and fix it myself... I honestly don't think I can stand to have the dealer "fix" anything else for me.

Mark

Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks! I've had a few problems, but nothing close to the things you've run into! Good luck buddy!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of times, windshield installation is subbed out to an auto glass service. Perhaps the tape was put over the VIN plate to protect it when the windshield was installed, and they just forgot to remove it.

Jim

Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimz68
A lot of times, windshield installation is subbed out to an auto glass service. Perhaps the tape was put over the VIN plate to protect it when the windshield was installed, and they just forgot to remove it.

Jim
No, these guys do their own work. That's why they kept my car for FOUR days to install a windshield.

My bodyshop can replace a glass in less than 20-25 minutes start to finish. Four days is plain stupid.

And as far as protecting the VIN number, that's not even feasible for 2 reasons.

1) The VIN number plate is recessed, you're not protecting from anything.

2) There is NO WAY to remove the tape unless you remove the windshield, you have less than 1/8" of space between the VIN plate and windshield. (thus the reason I had to butcher it with a paperclip) so they can't remove it afterwards.

Mark

Old 10-03-2010, 12:37 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
OC, you have a curse similar to mine. I still believe I have a higher incidence of dealer problems than random and it sounds like you have a double dose.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
She needs a new dealer.

Someone needs to tell her how it happened, regardless of how its repaired. It may be attorney time.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What about getting a new VIN tag so your doesn't look like your car is stolen when you get pulled over? Not a huge issues, but just thinking out loud here.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
All part of the reason that I stay far, far away from the stealership...

It's going to quite difficult to replace or repair the VIN tag now that it is scratched up... You can't just 'get' a new VIN tag...

Good luck...

Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze

It's going to quite difficult to replace or repair the VIN tag now that it is scratched up... You can't just 'get' a new VIN tag...

Good luck...
What really baffles me is how one dealer can be absolutely great to their customers while other ones will go through hell and high water to screw over their customers.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris G
What really baffles me is how one dealer can be absolutely great to their customers while other ones will go through hell and high water to screw over their customers.
It's like schools. Good schools have good leadership and support structures. Good dealerships have good management who watch and listen.

I am convinced that it all stems from the top in both instances. The tone and tenor of the organization is set by management. As as we know, some are good and some are clueless.

Rich

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze

Good luck...
Unfortunately, that is correct. You can't just order VIN tags, in my case, I'll sand the tag down to remove the scratches I put in there and paint it satin black.

The numbers will no longer be silver from being engraved but they'll be ledgeable.

I knew that may happen but I didn't have any choice shy of taking it to the dealer (yeaaaah, riiight) or pull the windshield.

Oh well, par fir course dealing with my dealer.

Mark

Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Unfortunately, that is correct. You can't just order VIN tags, in my case, I'll sand the tag down to remove the scratches I put in there and paint it satin black.

The numbers will no longer be silver from being engraved but they'll be ledgeable.

I knew that may happen but I didn't have any choice shy of taking it to the dealer (yeaaaah, riiight) or pull the windshield.

Oh well, par fir course dealing with my dealer.

Mark
When I had a local company replace the windshield on my 2008 the vin tag was torn when they removed the old windshield. They where completely honest about it and told me when it happened. They do a lot of minis and bmws and said that mini puts the adhesive too close to the vin and it happens sometimes. The vin is only a sticker from what I could tell. They said they could order a replacement but I didnt have them do it. I was trading in my MINI in a couple of weeks and told them not to worry about it. They have replaced my windshield on my 2010 and everything was fine there. I would contact the dealership and see if they can order and install the new vin for you.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
The first thing I would do is to confirm that there are no 'irregularities' regarding your VIN. Check your title, registration, in the engine bay where the VIN is stamped in the sheet metal, and sticker in the drivers side door jamb. Are all the numbers the same?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by phxsteele
When I had a local company replace the windshield on my 2008 the vin tag was torn when they removed the old windshield. They where completely honest about it and told me when it happened. They do a lot of minis and bmws and said that mini puts the adhesive too close to the vin and it happens sometimes. The vin is only a sticker from what I could tell. They said they could order a replacement but I didnt have them do it. I was trading in my MINI in a couple of weeks and told them not to worry about it. They have replaced my windshield on my 2010 and everything was fine there. I would contact the dealership and see if they can order and install the new vin for you.
Just another straw in the Camels back.....

1st off get your car smudged......may have bad energy. Then have who ever replaced the windshield pay for a new VIN decal. Takes about 10-12 days to get them and requires documentation from the MINI parts advisor.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
At the risk of seeming like a dummy -- is there any chance that the VIN was covered since she has had the car, e.g., was it that way when they delivered it?

I just went out and looked at mine, and it appears to have some "gunk" on it that might be left over glue from some sort of tape. I presume that it is possible (althought still unaceptable) that the dealer might never look at the actual VIN on a vehicle. It may just be a stock number and paperwork to them.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
You may be able to get a new VIN tag if you go after the dealer. I've ordered VIN labels for auto glass shops that have ruined VIN tags while installing or removing windshields.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phxsteele
Chris,

Being in the bodyshop business for almost 30 years, I'm here to tell you they are full of crap. The VIN tag is a riveted piece of metal. It is NOT replaceable (as far as getting it from the dealer anyways... we have a company that makes replacement vin tag stickers in the door jambs)

Last year our local glass company tore a VIN tag in half. It took me months to get it fixed. I had to order a new VIN # (which composed of a HUGE decal) and attach it to the door jamb. The tag clearly stated this was an addendum to the original VIN tag and blah, blah, blah.

It was a horrible experience explaining to the customer why they now had to have two titles reflecting two VIN numbers, etc, etc.

Once sanded and painted, it will be fine, it's just the engraved numbers will be black instead of silver. As long as they match, it's no big deal.

Originally Posted by JAB 67
The first thing I would do is to confirm that there are no 'irregularities' regarding your VIN. Check your title, registration, in the engine bay where the VIN is stamped in the sheet metal, and sticker in the drivers side door jamb. Are all the numbers the same?
Though obviously I can't read my VIN tag at the moment, I assure you they are the same. I bought the car new and have pulled the VIN number off each to order parts mannnny times.

The car is a 2009 and I'm the only owner.

You may be able to get a new VIN tag if you go after the dealer. I've ordered VIN labels for auto glass shops that have ruined VIN tags while installing or removing windshields.
Chris,

You've ordered new VIN tags that rivet to the dash?? Like I mentioned before, I've been in this business a long time and have never been able to order VIN tags or even VIN stickers in the door jambs from the dealer.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Chris,

Being in the bodyshop business for almost 30 years, I'm here to tell you they are full of crap. The VIN tag is a riveted piece of metal. It is NOT replaceable (as far as getting it from the dealer anyways... we have a company that makes replacement vin tag stickers in the door jambs)
Call your MINI dealer's parts advisor....it is indeed a decal not a riveted plate and it indeed only takes about two weeks to get one.......My dealer has had to order them often.

I would not have written that if it were not true.....

Then have who ever replaced the windshield pay for a new VIN decal. Takes about 10-12 days to get them and requires documentation from the MINI parts advisor.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:49 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Call your MINI dealer's parts advisor....it is indeed a decal not a riveted plate and it indeed only takes about two weeks to get one.......My dealer has had to order them often.

I would not have written that if it were not true.....
Thanks gRay, I will indeed call Monday and get it ordered then.

I'll let you know what they say....

Mark

Old 10-03-2010, 02:06 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Thanks gRay, I will indeed call Monday and get it ordered then.

I'll let you know what they say....

Mark
I was surprised to find this out as you were. I have had my windshield replaced few times now, so mine is "flaking" off like paint on hard plastic....

Never saw one that wasn't embossed before this.

My parts advisor said it takes a few weeks, and I think about 20-30 dollars for a new one. And after presenting enough documents to be photocopied about 2 weeks for delivery from Germany, or in your case maybe the UK.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I recall ordering one for an auto glass shop last year. It took lots of documentation but it arrived about a month after I ordered it. I am 99% sure it was for the dash. It sure doesn't hurt to at least call them out on their bluff and see if the piece can be ordered.

By the way, you can also order ALL of the door jamb stickers for the MINI too.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I recall ordering one for an auto glass shop last year. It took lots of documentation but it arrived about a month after I ordered it. I am 99% sure it was for the dash. It sure doesn't hurt to at least call them out on their bluff and see if the piece can be ordered.
Absolutely, both of you guys can't be wrong so I'm gonna order tomorrow.

By the way, you can also order ALL of the door jamb stickers for the MINI too.
Yup, already did that.... even put them on crooked like the factory...lol.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Yup, already did that.... even put them on crooked like the factory...lol.

sure you did. you actually just had the best masking skills of anyone.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
sure you did. you actually just had the best masking skills of anyone.

It was wierd... I ordered the new decals and when I looked at the pic I took before I removed them, I realized how crooked the manufacturer had put them on....

So I followed suit. I wanted the car to look stock so crooked on they went.

Mark

Old 10-03-2010, 06:52 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was wierd... I ordered the new decals and when I looked at the pic I took before I removed them, I realized how crooked the manufacturer had put them on....

So I followed suit. I wanted the car to look stock so crooked on they went.

Mark
Must have been that second "Pint" at lunchtime!
A friend of mine has a Lotus Exige. On the bonnet, there is a round recess for the "Lotus" badge. On his car, the badge is off center and crooked within the recess! Like I said...

Good Luck!
Jim

Quick Reply: R56 I am so fed up... this is the last straw.