R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 07 vs 08 or 09 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
keninirvine
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 vs 08 or 09 Cooper S

This is my first post on the Mini forum, but have been on the Porsche 997 forum for a few years. Am considering getting a used Cooper S, 07 or 08 likely, as a daily driver to save the wear and tear on my 06 C2S Cab.

I've seen comments here about the 07's having more issues due to being the first year of the revised Mini. Is this actually the case? Some people have similar worries about the 05 Porsche 997's, but in reality there is little evidence of any significant difference in reliability of those to the subsequent years. Just curious if the 07's have any more issues than the later years, or if there is a point at which they got much better due to some change.
Thanks

Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Meh I have an 07 MCS and had small problems but nothing serious. If price is not an issue just get an 09 because it will have the least amount of miles on it and have the least amount of problems from use and the chance that the previous owner beat the hell out of it.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Jesperss
1st Gear
I have an 08 S which I bought eight months ago with 8500 miles on it.

Car now has 20k and the only problems I've had are with the windows (double dip issue). Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how reliable the car has been.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got an early '07MCS built in 03/07, very reliable, no major problems, currently 38K+ miles. I don't know if the '08's or '09's were any more or less reliable. I would look for the car with the least mileage, most desirable configuration for your needs and best price.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 AM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I've seen comments here about the 07's having more issues due to being the first year of the revised Mini. Is this actually the case? Some people have similar worries about the 05 Porsche 997's, but in reality there is little evidence of any significant difference in reliability of those to the subsequent years. Just curious if the 07's have any more issues than the later years, or if there is a point at which they got much better due to some change.
Thanks
No significant changes from '07-'09; it's just '07 MCS owners have had more time to experience the problems that seem to be common across the 2nd gens.

I just bought a used '07 MCS with 34k miles built in 3/07. I dropped it off at the dealership a few days ago because the fuel seal needed replacing (check engine light) and a squeaky sunroof. If you go with an '07, I'd suggest finding one that's still under warranty... just to take care of any major problems that you may have missed during your test drive.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
kat1689
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got an 08 mcs that's had more problems than any other car I've had, they finally replaced my engine though. I suggest whatever you choose, make sure there is a warranty used minis seem to go either way-no problems or more than you could have imagined! All depends on how the person before you treated it

Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kat1689
I've got an 08 mcs that's had more problems than any other car I've had, they finally replaced my engine though. I suggest whatever you choose, make sure there is a warranty used minis seem to go either way-no problems or more than you could have imagined! All depends on how the person before you treated it
Agree.Alot of it is how the car has been maintained.Continue to maintain it.I always stress the point to continually ck fluids air filters and generally keeping an eye/ear out for unusual noises etc. and get it fixed right away,Some people just drive and drive their cars with problems and then they break.... Look under the bonnet look on the ground.Preventative maintenace will last alot longer.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM
MINIPaige
2nd Gear
Not a Honda

I have owned 2 1/2 MINIs. 1 1/2 regular 06's and now an 09 S. When I started researching MINIs I realized through research that while they are fun to drive and are dependable, they aren't Honda's. You can't just drive and be oblivious, like you can in lower end cars. MINIs require attention. What you can get away with in terms of letting maintenance slack in other cars you can't with MINIs. A MINI needs a conscious approach to up-keep. British cars have always been that way though.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
keninirvine
Neutral
I appreciate the feedback I've received here on my original post. I had thought that a Mini would be a good choice for a daily driver instead of exposing my Carrera to a lot of short commutes and errands. The Mini seemed to have the fun factor, economy, and (what I had believed to be) a fairly tame depreciation rate (on a used one at least).

From some of the responses I've seen, I'm now wondering if it is such a good idea. Had thought of getting a MCS since I've become accustomed to good response. Am now re-thinking whether a non-S might be smarter (cheaper at least), or even whether getting any Mini is a good idea. It is hard to justify spending the same amount on a 30k mile 08 MC as on a 11k mile 2010 Golf (or Rabbit, whatever name they're using now).

Think I'll think on it some more. THanks for the responses. Any other feedback welcomed.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Looking at Mini vs. Golf based on their reputation for reliability is kind of like choosing between a pit bull or a Rottweiler for your child's first pet. Contrary to their reputations, the Mini and Golf are both great daily drivers in most cases. However, the bad ones do get a lot of attention.

Personally, I only care that whatever car I buy is interesting and fun. I expect it to be reliable because, odds are, it will be. If the car's driving experience is good enough, I don't care about occasional quality issues. Drive it until it breaks, fix it, sell it if it doesn't measure up.

Mine gets driven daily at least 40-50 miles and I commute almost 1200 miles round trip every other week to my 'part-time' job in New Jersey. Almost 47k with no major issues other than the cold-start rattle that was fixed. I don't worry about it.