R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First Battle Scar

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Battle Scar

Yup it happened on Monday Afternoon while I was parked in front of my own house. Girl how lives across the street backed right into my mini and smashed up the rear quarter panel pretty good. I was in my driveway working on my dad's truck getting his snow plow ready for the winter when I turn around and she is behind me and before she said anything I know she hit my car I just had that feeling. So I called the police and did the whole report thing and made sure everything was legit. I need to wait three days for the report to be finished so I can start the claim against her insurance and get this fixed up. Just sucks I have so much stuff going on right now that I don't want to deal with this BS because some women driver couldn't look in her mirror's or over her shoulder to see I was behind her. No offense to women drivers but in my case a woman did blatantly backed into my mini.

Last edited by Bigjoeski08; 11-23-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
MiniTS-05
3rd Gear
OUCH, sorry to hear that. I know the feeling, but at least she came to you and reported what she had done. I was at a car show one Sunday and someone slammed their door on my the spot as yours and didn't even leave a note. I was ticked off but had no way of knowing who had done it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I wasn't going anywhere Monday so i would of known it was her and also because she has tons of white paint on her bumper. You are correct I'm glad it happened in front of controlled environment and not some crazy parking lot.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might not be entirely her fault. Perhaps she was on the phone at the time; or maybe finishing her makeup.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug W
Might not be entirely her fault. Perhaps she was on the phone at the time; or maybe finishing her makeup.
or emotionally compromised because her gf said her bf was cuter than hers. Like that insurance commerical that cracks me up, Mr. Mayhem?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor

I like one where he's in the tree, bouncing on the limb until they both crash down onto the car.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My Mom just backed up into my JCW (that I only bought 32 days before) last week. She pulled out of the garage and ran right into it. There's barely any physical damage, but the car needs a new hood, a new headlight, and the bumper needs fixing. About $2000 worth of damage all together. But at least the body shop is painting some trim (body color) for me for free since I've spent so much money there in the past.

I feel ya, female drivers suck! <----- Joke!!

Last edited by drewstermalloy; 11-24-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I feel ya, female drivers suck!
Oh-oh! Don't drag us guys into THAT quagmire!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
So what should I do then for repairs because naturally I want to bring it to the mini dealership. My dealer is Inskip Mini in RI and there body shop I believe is for mostly high end cars. I'm just worried my gas cap and taillight ring are going to get missed placed during repairs.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
56carnut
1st Gear
Ouch! So sorry, it is good that she owned up to it. Here in LA one hears so many stories where a driver will damage a car and leave no note, just drive away. I had a client who was late for a session because a woman had backed into his car in a parking garage. He was yelling at her to stop. The worse part is she did it a second time despite his yelling and hand waving. He had a beautiful Audi which I am certain was not cheap to fix.
On the plus side I have learned that cars are repairable. The insurance company should do an initial estimate based on the visible damage. After the body shop takes it apart, then the car should get a good looking over to make sure there was no other damage. This may require the estimator to go and see the car again. Hopefully, it is all surface damage that can easily be repaired. Best of luck.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
R3R
2nd Gear
Sorry for the trouble. I had a similar experience recently where a guy backed off into my front fender.

I did wonder if it woud've happened if my car was red or yellow.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I hope it's just cosmetic damage and I believe it just is. The car seems to drive fine with no vibrations or anything I can notice. I do know that doesn't mean match until the body shop rips it apart but for the time being I think it's just a new rear quarter panel.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Consider yourself lucky it happened where it did and that you have someone to pay for it to be fixed. It usually happens to me when I'm not around leaving me with the bill.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
That'll buff right out...

Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 PM
WhiteLightnin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
So what should I do then for repairs because naturally I want to bring it to the mini dealership. My dealer is Inskip Mini in RI and there body shop I believe is for mostly high end cars. I'm just worried my gas cap and taillight ring are going to get missed placed during repairs.
I'm not trying to add alcohol to the cut BUT... just because a MINI dealership chooses which body shop to use (usually their own and yes, high end cars) doesn't mean it will be done correctly. White Lightnin was wrecked (fiance hit a smallish dog did $5,000 in damage) just at the 4 week of ownership mark... the body shop did a horrid job, in my opinion, orange peel on the bumper, hood to grill not aligned properly... it went on and on!!!

My advise is... find a local independent shop who is conscientious and cares what they do and is familiar with the MINI.

LONG story short Mark (Orangecrush) saved a bad repair and made me love my MINI all over again!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
WhiteLightnin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chris G
That'll buff right out...
Yeah right! LMAO!!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Independent shop FTW. When I worked at a MINI dealer, the body shop we used messed up a few things from time to time - things that shouldn't have been messed up.

@WhiteLightnin - oh come on, you know a little bit of elbow grease and he will be good

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Ouch! That sucks! :(

During Wrigley's first 2 years (mainly from last winter), I found 8 car door dings. EIGHT! Seriously? My 8th one was the worst one and it happened in the Dominicks parking lot when I was in the store for all of 10 minutes. Some beater parked next to me and the back passenger door slammed a large, quarter sized ding....with paint removed, replaced with their crappy teal color. I was livid. I ended up making an appointment the following week at the dealer to get all the dings removed. A little pricey but cheaper than I would have thought. One of the happiest days of my life!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
05Greenie
4th Gear
Sorry to hear that...that bites, maybe she was texting her BFF

Last edited by 05Greenie; 11-23-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 PM
05Greenie
4th Gear
Shakey.....shakey.....Mayhem RULES!!!!!!

I like one where he's in the tree, bouncing on the limb until they both crash down onto the car.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I feel ya, female drivers suck!
I think you should edit this out. This is a blanket generalization that could only spark a gender-based flame war. Not cool.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was pretty obvious that I was just kidding.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I have felt you pain. Just a few months after i bought Nigel, a piece of wood flew off the back of a truck and ended up putting a nice crease in my drivers door. I chased the driver down and got it covered. $700 dollars

Even worse, a month ago a guy was turning and stuck the nose of his car into my lane of travel and I scraped the entire left side down the from of his car. $3500. Of course, he had no insurance! The only bright spot is that he did some minor bonnet damage which required the entire bonnet to be repainted. This covered all the nicks and pits that I've acquired oer the years. Also, my wife had given me a serious case of curb rash on my 4 month old new wheels at the Dragon last May so I got those plus a third one replaced for free. I am going to buy a fourth wheel so I can pick up a set of performance tres [on the good set of wheels] and have a set of blizzacks on my bad set of wheels.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Just had my new tires installed and I can't stand looking at my wounded mini any longer lol.

Quick Reply: R56 First Battle Scar