R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A few changes I've noticed on my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
rickyr53
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phinzup
My '96 Miata did but my '07 and '09 Miata did not. My '91 Lexus did, but my '01 Lexus did not. My '93 and '96 Dodge Rams did, but my '03 Dodge Ram did not. My '93 Camry did, but my '02 4Runner did not. None of my Hondas ('00, '03, '06 and '08) did.
geez! thats a lot of cars! lol

Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't even get into the '67 Mustang, '85 Subaru, '88 F250, '08 Subaru Forester XT Sports, '91 Toyota Truck, '87 BMW 325ic, '07 Mazda 3, '96 Audi A6, '01 Audi TT, '93 Suburban K2500 or '05 Scion xB. I think that's it...

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 PM
gama
Neutral
The stock exhaust sounds alot more aggressive, the pop and burble sound it makes is very gratifying.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gama
... the pop and burble sound it makes is very gratifying.
I hate this ... because I don't have one.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 AM
morecarl
Neutral
Just ask for them

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Lastly, MINI cheaped out and took away one of the cargo net "uprights" in the boot, it only comes with one now. Pretty silly I think, that must be saving them a buck per car.
When we picked ours up, my wife noticed that the nets were missing and mentioned to the salesman - he ran inside and came out with a brand new set of nets and installed them for her right there - at no charge

Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
+1....

Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm loving the club door seatbelt clasp. Now that i found it and hooked it up IN there, getting the toddler in and out of that seat is much cleaner.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
zemina
3rd Gear
+1

Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by specz66
When we picked up my wife's 2011 S we were told the rear headrest had the plastic rings on them for "liability reasons" but that we could remove them by removing the small pin using a pair of needle nosed pliers. Which we did and they sit much lower and the rear vision is much better.
Thank you. I did this over the weekend and can now drop the headrests a few more inches which makes them bearable in the field of vision.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:17 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by morecarl
When we picked ours up, my wife noticed that the nets were missing and mentioned to the salesman - he ran inside and came out with a brand new set of nets and installed them for her right there - at no charge
Helps to bring females with you to get what you want sometimes lol. Im going this week to try and get a MCS hope all goes well. Reading all the comments about the 2011's has got me anxious.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
is it the driver's side net that's missing?
could be so that it doesn't block the light on that side.

I just put my rear end back together (hey-oh!) and noticed that the side netting over there does make it a bit darker.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is it the driver's side net that's missing?
could be so that it doesn't block the light on that side.

I just put my rear end back together (hey-oh!) and noticed that the side netting over there does make it a bit darker.
No. I test drove my new car just hours after it arrived at the dealership and the nets were in packages in the boot, not attached. When I came to pick it up, they were in place but minus one side. The manager said he'd give me another but we got distracted, I'll follow up on that next time I'm near the store.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 AM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So the stock exhaust is breaking in nicely. Definitely a different and slightly more aggressive sound than my 08 had. And I've starting to find the sweet spot for forcing the deceleration burbles and pops. Startled a few pedestrians yesterday

Anyone know if they changed the part number for the stock Cooper S exhaust? Or perhaps the 2011 engine changes is causing a different exhaust sound. dunno

Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
The factory sealed package for my nets contained one triangle and one rectangle, as did my friend's 2010 package. I wound up buying another complete set from somebody and gave him one of the triangles and installed the other one in mine.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Here's something I noticed about a 2011 Justa Cooper I got as a loaner car, and on a 2011 MCS I test drove. The OBC display, that is to say the square LCD display in the tach that sits above the rectangular one that shows the odometer, seems to always display a digital speedo now. In my '08 MCS, it'll either display time and outside temperature OR a digital speedo, which I can change by pressing the BC button on the turn signal stalk.

I have the factory nav system, so maybe this is a behavior you only see when the central display is installed.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Just found this thread. I've had my 2011 MCS 3 weeks now, along with an early R56 Cooper
- rear headrests - no change in Australian/Euro spec, so probably just a bit of plastic added to US-spec?
- single triangle net - really annoying - swapped one out of the Cooper as I'll use it more in the S - but really cheapskate!
- the standard sound system is a big improvement over the old one too - probably equivalent to the old extra-cost one
- Australian spec misses out on the pop & burble with the sport button
- interior mood lighting now adjusts for brightness (at last!!! ) as well having a full range of colours; pull it towards you for brightness, push away for colours
- computer display does default to speed (what I always used anyway); also shows "TRACTION" under the speed when you turn off the traction control, and "DSC OFF" when you turn - er, the DSC off.

The main changes I love are:
- smoother gearshift (they did something to the linkages I read)
- electronic diff is fabulous
- software eradication of torque steer - I'm still wondering how they did that!
- nicer steering feel
- brake cooling ducts
- and, of course, all the extra power after a Cooper

Things I'm not so keen on are:
- darker tint on the sunroof - I liked it clearer
- lighter, less distinct clutch

Overall: loving it!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
PW4- Great post and info. I am coming out of a 2010 MCS and my biggest issues were the torq streer and lack of a limited slip. In my 2010 if I jump on throttle in straight line you better be holding on with both hands. It will jump 3 ft if the road is a bit rough and depending how you have the wheels set.
In a corner you have to be easy on the throttle or the right front is going up in smoke. Roll it on slow is the only way or you are just losing TT. Time and tires. Please discribe how it feels now straight line and in a corner with the new diff. Does it feel like brake controling the wheels or do you not even notice it. very curious as i am still waitng for my JCW which is on the water.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Island maser
In my 2010 if I jump on throttle in straight line you better be holding on with both hands. It will jump 3 ft if the road is a bit rough and depending how you have the wheels set.
That's not torque steer, that's steering kickback.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pw4
- computer display does default to speed (what I always used anyway); also shows "TRACTION" under the speed when you turn off the traction control, and "DSC OFF" when you turn - er, the DSC off.
Which is unfortunate as I've gotten used to having the time and OAT displayed there. Perhaps MINI got a bunch of feedback from drivers who never got used to glancing down and to the right to find out how fast they were going.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Island maser
...Please discribe how it feels now straight line and in a corner with the new diff. Does it feel like brake controling the wheels or do you not even notice it. very curious as i am still waitng for my JCW which is on the water.
My older MINI is just-a-Cooper, so torque steer was never a great problem - so I can't give a direct comparison. There are 3 things going on: the steering's been tweaked for 2011 so it has better and smoother feel; software control of torque steer; and the electronic diff.

Accelerating, it just feels - ordinary and smooth. No pulling or tugging or anything. So the software works to cut torque steer very well. Very occasionally I've felt a little pulling in the steering but I think it's only been as the diff is working to find the grip on an irregular surface (traction control off). I've read the diff is done via the brakes but I can't notice that. I think you'll love it!

I mostly run with the traction control off - according to MotoringFile it reduces the electronic nannies a bit too and I have a larger rear sway bar that I don't want the electronics to interfere with - but I need to experiment more to see if they do anyway.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Yzo
Which is unfortunate as I've gotten used to having the time and OAT displayed there. Perhaps MINI got a bunch of feedback from drivers who never got used to glancing down and to the right to find out how fast they were going.
OAT is still shown, down in the odometer section. I think the time is only shown on the radio - but then again I thought it always was. I must check...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pw4
OAT is still shown, down in the odometer section.
True, but if I'm displaying it down there, then I don't see my average MPG like I normally have it set to do.

I agree it's a minor nit overall. I just find the presence of both a digital and analog speedo to be redundant.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yzo
I just find the presence of both a digital and analog speedo to be redundant.
I would love it if I could make one in kilometers and one in miles… without screwing up my overall mileage count (I know my warranty runs out at 50k miles… but I'd never remember 80,467.2 km).

Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
pw4
5th Gear
I would love it if I could make one in kilometers and one in miles… without screwing up my overall mileage count (I know my warranty runs out at 50k miles… but I'd never remember 80,467.2 km).
I think you can set the computer to miles or km can't you? If so, you could show km on the digital display and your analog speedo would still be in miles.

And I checked what the Traction/DSC Off display changes, and it's nothing - it just moves the speed up and fits the text underneath. So the temperature display has moved regardless.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:45 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pw4
I think you can set the computer to miles or km can't you? If so, you could show km on the digital display and your analog speedo would still be in miles.

Quick Reply: R56 A few changes I've noticed on my 2011