R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A few changes I've noticed on my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM
zeiker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
All Seasons on the new MINI don't ride quite as smooth, but they've actually exceeded my expectations thus far and a lot of my driving has been on partially ice/snow covered and worse-for-winter-wear local roads. They are also quieter than I expected. I may not be as quick to shed them as I initially thought I might be.
I'm coming from an '09 Cooper HT to a 2011 S Clubman. I've got the all-season run-flats as well and am shocked at their level of comfort. Going to an S suspension with the lower profile 17s, I was prepared for a beating and was pleasantly surprised. The overall ride and lack of noise is markedly more refined in the Clubbie S vice the HT. Actually, i think the exhaust and engine noise are too subdued. I read somewhere where MINI upped the engine compartment insulation for '11 - but looking in there, I don't see where.

+1 on the dramatic differences in clutches. the '11 took some getting used to (much less effort), but I now have come to love it.

Brakes feel softer and require signifanctly more force. Not sure if this is an '11 thing, or just coming from a lighter HT to a heaver clubby. In any event, i thought the S brake package would offset the weight difference, but it did not.

HK sound, though certainly improved over the standard, has let me down. Bass is certainly there, but not crisp, and overpowers the midrange, IMO. I realize you can adjust bass and treble levels, but a wider range EQ is needed. I noticed that with a more-forward seat position, things seem more balanced, however (I'm 6'2 and tend to migrate backward where the bass appears more muddy).

The gong frequency (pitch is higher and cycle time is quicker) is different for '11 and I liked '09 better, but this is bug dust.

Don't like the inability to change the digital speed display to something else, but this is pretty much a nit as well.

+1 on ambient lighting improvements - auto cycling colors and color selection range are an improvement

+1 on ease of removing the rear headrest limiter clips

+1 on power button deceleration burble

Last edited by zeiker; 03-18-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
My son has an 09 MCCSa and I have an 11 MCSm. We have both noticed a huge improvement in build quality, ride quality and interior noise. My son opted for the AT on his Clubby because he didn't care for the clutch on the 09 models. He says the self adjusting clutch on my HT is much better. Hopefully that means some of the well documented clutch issues found on the 07-10 model years will no longer be issues on 2011 and forward model years. Regarding the HK sound, I think it's great. My son upgraded his speakers, and even with that the HK is miles ahead.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
I started really using the Sport button this weekend. I LOVE the pop/burbling it gives you. I find myself revving the engine just to hear it! Its great in parking lots hehe!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by pheatton
I started really using the Sport button this weekend. I LOVE the pop/burbling it gives you. I find myself revving the engine just to hear it! Its great in parking lots hehe!
Does the Sport button really turn on a fake burble ala the R53? Tell me it's true. I've got my sights on a 2012 JCW and I want that sound.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Yep. If standing still and you rev it you get a nice couple pops. If you driving then coast you get a pop or two then the burble. If you accelerating pretty good you get a pop when you shift.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
dont need to break them off just slide the pin out and they slide right off....

Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pheatton
Yep. If standing still and you rev it you get a nice couple pops. If you driving then coast you get a pop or two then the burble. If you accelerating pretty good you get a pop when you shift.
do you need to go over 4500 rpm to make the pop and burble cause i want to be able to do it during the break in

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
do you need to go over 4500 rpm to make the pop and burble cause i want to be able to do it during the break in
Nope, when you have the sport button on, its fairly easy to get the pop and burble No need to go above 4500RPM

Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CaptainSteve
Nope, when you have the sport button on, its fairly easy to get the pop and burble No need to go above 4500RPM
yesssss thats the first thing im gonna do

Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I actually find it hard to make it pop/burble above 4,500 rpm. Below that is easy.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Yeah I dont really hear it over about 4K RPM. Its really noticable in the 2k-3k range. Also its not very noticable when the car is cold either.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSteve
"Ginger"
Great name for your Spice Orange car! Looks really good with the black headlights and wheels.
I was thinking of getting the orange but went for the red in the end.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah my dealer said the pop/burble won't "happen" unless the car is warmed up. I'd love to see a technical breakdown on how this all occurs. If I had to guess, I'd say the engine drops a bit of un burned gas in the chamber, exists out the exhaust valve, and then hits the hot exhaust manifold... which then ignites causing the sound. But I may be way off. (SAMSONITE, I was way off)

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
They are more than likley either advancing or retarding the timing for this. Which one Im not sure.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Newbomb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by invaliduser
Yeah my dealer said the pop/burble won't "happen" unless the car is warmed up. I'd love to see a technical breakdown on how this all occurs. If I had to guess, I'd say the engine drops a bit of un burned gas in the chamber, exists out the exhaust valve, and then hits the hot exhaust manifold... which then ignites causing the sound. But I may be way off. (SAMSONITE, I was way off)
I can't find it now but I remember reading about it. They called it "continous fuel injection" or something like that.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
JCByrdman
1st Gear
+1 on the pop/burble....
+1 on the build quality....
This one is by far a quieter ride, solid feel, looks racier with the brake ducts and blacked out wheels...

My only problem is the name. I can't decide which one

Mach.5 (thats mach point five Cuz the Speed Racer movie was on all weekend)
OR
Mel MINI um Falcon (since pressing the SPORT button is EXACTLY like flipping the Hyperdrive lever)

Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCByrdman
I'd forgotten about Hardware Wars. I love that the odometer is set at 1138.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I was wondering if you add and exhausts or intakes does it eliminate the pop and burble made from the factory?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
fastfour
1st Gear
Originally Posted by invaliduser
(SAMSONITE, I was way off)
Love it!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 AM
11cooperS
2nd Gear
Is the exhaust the same as 09, etc, as in unchanged since 2007?

Looking into a JCW OEM exhaust for my 2011

Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 11cooperS
Is the exhaust the same as 09, etc, as in unchanged since 2007?

Looking into a JCW OEM exhaust for my 2011
i think so if it did chang it was small changes that wouldnt matter

Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
jcarr55
1st Gear
Regarding the rear headrest, my dealer took off those collars in seconds. Take out the headrest then push through the silver pin in the collar with
an ice pick type instrument. The collars come apart and can be reused. I was told they were designed for proper height for car seats. Hope that helps.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Yep, I removed the rings on the rear headrests using the little straw from a WD40 can and a pair of needle nose pliers once I got the pin out far enough to grab it. Put all the parts in a ziploc bag and labeled with a sharpie in case I ever need them for some reason.

Annette

Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
New 2011 changes

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I just picked up MINI number four last week, previously I had an '06 MCS, an '08 MCS, and an '09 JCW. Along with the obvious facelift stuff inside and out, there's a few more subtle differences.
First off, the Harmon Kardon is MUCH better than the MINI HiFi. I don't claim to be an audiophile, but it's got a lot more bass, and the whole range is richer, happy I ordered that.
Secondly, they've fixed the rearseat headrests in the up position with a little hard plastic locating ring. Presumably they weren't doing their full job pushed down so MINI made them essentially non-adjustable. They are blocking more of the rear vision, I'm not sure how much it bothers me yet. Dealer told me you can break off those collars and then they are adjustable again.
Third thing, they've done away with the lighter and cubby in the front, aka smoker's package. I don't smoke and would never let anyone fire one up near my car, so I don't care much about the lighter, but I do miss having the ashtray for a key/change holder. I'm sure I can still pick one up.
Lastly, MINI cheaped out and took away one of the cargo net "uprights" in the boot, it only comes with one now. Pretty silly I think, that must be saving them a buck per car.
That's all I've noticed so far, anything else I'm missing?
I've had my Lil Guy now for almost five months now, so I feel like I can comment here.

First off, this is my first Mini, so I have nothing to compare it to but my former Miata MX-5. As for the head rests, shucks I just took them off and they are now some place in my basement. I'm not familiar with the car uprights, so nothing to say about that. Love the H-K sound system. But, being the illiterate guy that I am, I had to go to the dealer, actually today, and ask how to set the Sirrus stations so that I didn't have to go, manually thru the entire system to get to my 50's, 60's, 70's and Sinatra channels. Now I'm happy.

My Lil Guy is a JCW and I love it. The exhaust, just a couple of weeks ago, started the burping. Had it in Sport this morning, and came up next to my wife in her Jeep. I revved it just a bit, maybe to 2500, and you should have seen the look on her face. Tonight she asked me if there was something wrong with the JCW as it popped. Funny.

To me, the Sport button really wakes up the Lil Guy, but as for gas mileage, I see almost no difference between Sport and regular mode. I'm getting 35+ on the interstate, and around 30 in town. Those figures change if I get too aggressive with the throttle, though, but not much.

Just a few things that I've noticed with my JCW, by the way it's Black with the Chili Red roof. Oh yes, I put Michelin ICE tires in 215x45x17 for the Winter and am ordering that same size for my Summer tires. I'm going to just go with a total wheel/tire combination and with the TPM's too. That way all I have to do for Winter, or Summer is just unbolt the old and put on the others.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 Jcw

Originally Posted by MINIGEZR
I must be one of the few who ordered a JCW without a red roof. Did add red mirror caps to break up the all black. Just wasn't sure about a permanent red roof. Could always vinyl it! As for the rear headrests, the is a small silver pin that pushes out to remove the stopper.
Yeah, I got mine with the Red roof. I'm the only one in our area, as of now. Well, the new dealer did sell one, actually it was the first Mini that was sold out that dealership on Dec. 20th.

I, also got the Chili red dash and door rings and then just for kicks, added the Rooster Red seats with Black cloth.

The one thing that I really like, and actually I have no complaints in five months, is the charcoal dash gauges. They are really cool. That, in the past, along with the gauge/radio ***** ect, I just did not like. Again, the dark charcoal really gets with it. Some say that the dash is too black, but with the red that I added, well I think it's just right.

Finally got the Lil Guy to start popping about two weeks ago. Maybe it was before, but I didn't notice it. Kind of neat.

Performance: Well let's just say that I have been impressed. Race car no, but then again it gets over the 30 mpg all around and one can't say that about most hi performance cars. Best that I've gotten in a 850 mile round trip was 35.6 mpg actual. Actually, the computer was pretty close. Might be the oversized tires. I'm running 215x45's on it instead of the 205's. Takes some of the speedometer error out of it.

Bill

Quick Reply: R56 A few changes I've noticed on my 2011