R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A few changes I've noticed on my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Headrests

Originally Posted by proj4ever
The headrests for the rear seat - You do not have to break anything off, there is a pin in that collar that you can push out very easily and remove the collar. That is the first thing I did when I got the car home since I will probably never have any body in the back seat. All my kiddos are grown and have their own auto's.
You're in the same boat as I am, I figured that no one would ever sit in the back seat, either. Not alot of room there for the feet. You're right, no need to break anything, just push the clamp in and pull out. Now they are good ornaments for the basement wall.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this morning on the way to taking my daughter to the bus stop I got a warning light and chime. Since I'm used to an '06, I looked toward the center display first and then realized I needed to look at the tach. I briefly saw a triangle warning light with a circle in the center that could have been a gear thing or a snowflake. I'm guessing it was the low temp warning. When I got back to the house I got out the manual and have been through it but can't find that symbol anywhere or any reference to a low temp/icy road warning. Any ideas, or has anyone else found this in the new manual?
There is a list of symbols on page 13 but that symbol isn't in the list.
Annette

Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
what was the temp out side? If it was around 38/37 it was the, "It's cold outside warning". Warning you that there may be icy roads/bridges....

This is a triangle with a snowflake inside.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Yep, the temp was right at 37 I believe. I'm just befuzzled as to why it isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual (that I've been able to find).
Annette

Old 03-25-2011, 06:08 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
The symbol is listed at the bottom on page 152, under indicator and warning lamps. The "outside temp warning" is described on page 53, but no picture, so its easy to miss

Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
[QUOTE=I'm sure I can come up with some other contrasts but I've probably rambled on long enough. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments Molly2 should arrive here early in May. I hope to be as pleased with her as you are with your new steed

Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CaptainSteve
The symbol is listed at the bottom on page 152, under indicator and warning lamps. The "outside temp warning" is described on page 53, but no picture, so its easy to miss

Wow, we must have different manuals. I finally found it on page 59 of mine. It still doesn't show an illustration of the "Outside Temperature Warning" but mentions it in the section on the tachometer.
It is supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow, so I'm planning on spending the time I was going to use to wash Mozart reading the manual instead .

Annette

Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldsbear
Molly2 should arrive here early in May. I hope to be as pleased with her as you are with your new steed
That's exciting news...I'll be anxious to hear all about MINI #3 for the 'bears!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Thanks for the comments Molly2 should arrive here early in May. I hope to be as pleased with her as you are with your new steed
is your sig supposed to say lolly or molly?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
And im wondering y nobody has mentioned the ambient lighting for the 2011's

Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
is your sig supposed to say lolly or molly?
Our Mellow Yellow Clubman is "Lolly." My 2007 MCS was "Molly." The new MCS will be "Molly2." It will be a challenge to get both Lolly and Molly2 into that tiny sig space, but I'll manage

Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Our Mellow Yellow Clubman is "Lolly." My 2007 MCS was "Molly." The new MCS will be "Molly2." It will be a challenge to get both Lolly and Molly2 into that tiny sig space, but I'll manage
ou can make it bigger and the computer will resize it

Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Possible Icy conditions

Originally Posted by BoCRon
So this morning on the way to taking my daughter to the bus stop I got a warning light and chime. Since I'm used to an '06, I looked toward the center display first and then realized I needed to look at the tach. I briefly saw a triangle warning light with a circle in the center that could have been a gear thing or a snowflake. I'm guessing it was the low temp warning. When I got back to the house I got out the manual and have been through it but can't find that symbol anywhere or any reference to a low temp/icy road warning. Any ideas, or has anyone else found this in the new manual?
There is a list of symbols on page 13 but that symbol isn't in the list.
Annette

If you haven't been told, it means that there could be possiblity of icey conditions on the road. That usually comes on in the 32 - 38 degree area. No big deal, just nail the throttle on the bridges just to check it out......humor there.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased my first Mini a couple of weeks ago, ie Mini Clubman with Convenience Pkg, and Comfort PKg. It was the last of the the Sparkling Silver colors which Mini discontinue in March this year.
I like not having to have to insert the key into the ignition and the self dimming rear view mirrors.

I hate not having a place to put my sunglasses and really don't like the large sunroof. But do love the car

Also, I have really enjoyed this site for information on the car.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Ambient lighting

And im wondering y nobody has mentioned the ambient lighting for the 2011's
That's because, unless you are looking for it, you can't see this lighting. I asked my wife if she liked the blue or the green better. She said, "What lighting?"

Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
romille
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
That's because, unless you are looking for it, you can't see this lighting. I asked my wife if she liked the blue or the green better. She said, "What lighting?"
Have you tried adjusting the brightness? Mine is quite visible.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Ambient lighting

Originally Posted by romille
Have you tried adjusting the brightness? Mine is quite visible.
NO idea how to do that. Shucks, it took awhile to realize that you can change colors?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
thats y just in case im gonna install some red interior lights
http://www.fastmini.net/ledinli.html

Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Ambient lighting

[quote=Achilles honor;3246091]thats y just in case im gonna install some red interior lights

Well, how about purple lights, they are available you know. Let's see, there are blue, green purple and isn't there red too I believe. Have to check on that.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
[quote=hemisedan;3246094]
thats y just in case im gonna install some red interior lights

Well, how about purple lights, they are available you know. Let's see, there are blue, green purple and isn't there red too I believe. Have to check on that.
no im talking about if the red isnt bright enough

Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
romille
3rd Gear
NO idea how to do that. Shucks, it took awhile to realize that you can change colors?
With a 2011 you should be able to move the toggle one direction for color and the other for brightness. At least that is what the manual said, I haven't played with the brightness setting because I like it as it is.

(For older MINIs I think you just adjust it along with the instrument panels using the button on the tach)

Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Ok, so I'm going to say one thing I've noticed on my '11 compared to my '06 is that I LOVE it just as much as my '06! I totally resisted getting the '11, even to the point of almost backing out of picking him up when he finally arrived at the dealership. I couldn't imagine getting all psyched up again about a MINI that wasn't an '06 much less El Kabong. While I would be thrilled if I still had El Kabong, I'll say that all the little changes in the ensuing 5 years have made for a MINI that I totally fell in love with on the first drive home. The interior fit and finish is just crisper somehow, the center console has a more intuitive layout(to me) and the handling has made an exciting change.
I think I lucked out again and got the best of the current generation .
Annette

Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
I think I lucked out again and got the best of the current generation .
Annette
i was just thinking about that. we really did get the best of the current generation. we have a new engine, they fixed all the problems from last year. we got a mini at their prime

Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by romille
With a 2011 you should be able to move the toggle one direction for color and the other for brightness. At least that is what the manual said, I haven't played with the brightness setting because I like it as it is.

(For older MINIs I think you just adjust it along with the instrument panels using the button on the tach)
Yes, on the older R56 you got 5 color steps from orange to blue, and the brightess was tied to the instrument brightness.

On the new ones, you push the switch forward repeatedly to step through the full spectrum of colors, or hold it forward and it glides through all the colors in between. You pull the switch back towards you to change the brightness - if you hold it, it gradually dims and then flashes 3 times when it gets as dim as it can go. Pull it back again the it gradually brightens and flashes 3 times when it's as bright as it can go. And so on. Or you can pull it back repeatedly to step through some preset brightness levels.

Even the blue is pretty visible on full brightness.

I like.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I have no idea how to get the lighting brighter. Anyway. BoCRon: While I never had an R53, but I do know that many of their owners have very thin skins and think that they are the best. (Boy that could be a can of worms) But I can't find anything that I don't like about Lil Guy. Oh sure, the speedometer cout be smaller and blend in a bit more and there could be more leg room for the rear seart passengers. Power? Well, there's always Alta and their Access unit, but I'm pretty happy with the power that my JCW has right now. Put it in Sport, hit it in 1st gear, and you do have a wheelspin problem. I get in the mid 30's for gas mileage, and around town it's even past 30. What can I say except that Lil Guy is all, and more of what I want. Now I need some Summer tires and a change of wheels that aren't $400 each.

Quick Reply: R56 A few changes I've noticed on my 2011