R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Parking brake should hold your car with 3 clicks

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why count the clicks? Unless I do it wrong but when I do it I pull it up with out thinking and I usually pull it up till it can't go anymore.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jrcsh6
... and they told me "spec" is 3 clicks of the brake lever should hold the car.
I wonder if the 3-clicks is really just a service spec, and not a spec for customers? I mean, that MINI specs that the mechanic must set the parking brake at 3-clicks before doing any adjustments.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you guys sent me out to the car to count clicks. Three clicks put the lever at it's top-most position. I've always pressed the button in when lifting the lever, so I've never heard any clicks before today. Now I need to go count clicks on my other cars' handbrakes. I've never heard them click either.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Walt
I wonder if the 3-clicks is really just a service spec, and not a spec for customers? I mean, that MINI specs that the mechanic must set the parking brake at 3-clicks before doing any adjustments.

I bet that is where it is set after adjustment, so it will not drag...
Bet once the cable stretches a bit...it may/may not hold the car...like on a hill. etc.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Although my coope's an automatic, I'm still in the habit of applying the hand break everytime i put it in park-I don't count the clicks but can hear them, and mine feels like it won't go past 2 clicks, so i don't try to pull it any harder-plus after 2 clicks, the "brake" light comes on in the screen above the steering wheel, so i know it's activated.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
...the "brake" light comes on in the screen above the steering wheel, so i know it's activated.
That light is only showing the e-brake is not fully released to keep people from ruining their brakes... it does not guarantee enough pressure has been applied.

The MCS is the first car I have ever owned with a manual transmission where the engine will not hold the car on a slight grade without the emergency brake. It surprised me one day when it started rolling into my yard after I parked it in 1st gear without the e-brake applied. Every other MT car or Jeep I parked in the same spot never rolled from there without the emergency brake applied.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 009Mini

The MCS is the first car I have ever owned with a manual transmission where the engine will not hold the car on a slight grade without the emergency brake. It surprised me one day when it started rolling into my yard after I parked it in 1st gear without the e-brake applied. Every other MT car or Jeep I parked in the same spot never rolled from there without the emergency brake applied.

Whoa - That's scary for San Francisco and Seattle MINI owners and any other hilly citys.

My folks have a level garage floor with a steep driveway. This happened at least 2 times I can remember over the years, seems like to a '64 Corvair station wagon and a '70 Maveric that 8+ kids learned to drive in. They rolled out of the garage, down the 100' driveway missing the rockery and row of pine trees. across a busy street and into the woods. Passing motorists stopping and pulling them out, and no damage that I can remember.

At any rate, I always set an auto in park, a manual in 1st and set the parking brake.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 009Mini
That light is only showing the e-brake is not fully released to keep people from ruining their brakes... it does not guarantee enough pressure has been applied.

Sounds like your clutch is slipping....
The flywheel could be glazed, or the clutch iself could be worn or glazed...

Old 12-19-2010, 11:41 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm with Zippy. If your car rolls down a hill in first gear (or reverse) there must be some problem with the clutch. I've never owned a car that would roll by itself in low gear.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Sounds like your clutch is slipping....
The flywheel could be glazed, or the clutch iself could be worn or glazed...
No, the clutch isn't slipping. To clarify, it isn't like it takes off rolling down the hill and I'm running to catch it. It slowly rolls as the engine compression releases... kind of a go-stop-go motion every 15 to 20 seconds. I've owned other vehicles that would do that, but on MUCH steeper inclines. And, the compression is fine, everything runs great, plenty of power, etc. I recently got a loaner 2011 justaCooper with a 6MT and it did the same thing.

So, park your car on a hill and wait and watch... it may do the same thing.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:33 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Wow....I guess since the displacent of our motors is so small in relation to the weight of cars compared to years past, we may see this more often.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
czmike
1st Gear
Recently replaced OEM rear pads with Hawk pads on my '08 Clubman S. Noticed noise/slipping on occassion with e-brake engaged, but didn't pay it to much mind. A week or so ago, parked in grocery sytore parking lot, bit of a slope. Came out, car gone!!! It had rolled 50-100 feet, miraculously not hitting any other cars in the lot, and into a concrete post at the bottom of a light pole. Bummer, scratched the bumper on the drivers side and put a crack in the plastic. I'll live with it, but in the habit of setting the gear along with the brake from now on. Thought maybe there was an adjustment needed, but maybe the new pads are different enough from OEM to slide?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by czmike
Recently replaced OEM rear pads with Hawk pads on my '08 Clubman S. Noticed noise/slipping on occassion with e-brake engaged, but didn't pay it to much mind. A week or so ago, parked in grocery sytore parking lot, bit of a slope. Came out, car gone!!! It had rolled 50-100 feet, miraculously not hitting any other cars in the lot, and into a concrete post at the bottom of a light pole. Bummer, scratched the bumper on the drivers side and put a crack in the plastic. I'll live with it, but in the habit of setting the gear along with the brake from now on. Thought maybe there was an adjustment needed, but maybe the new pads are different enough from OEM to slide?
that's a drag. makes me appreciate how lucky i was!