R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What to look for when buying used

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 AM
gh0st
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for when buying used

I apologize if this has been brought up many times before, I tried searching but wasn't able to find anything. My current car, a B5 A4, has quite a few miles on it and I've been toying around with the idea of getting something newer and a little more fun to drive because I'm a budding track junkie.

Is there a buyer's guide that has been written up? I might be in the market for a Cooper S shortly and I'm just wondering, is there is anything I should be looking out for when buying used? Are there any common issues with these cars that I should be looking for?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Its like buying any used car. Make sure the maintenance has been done on it, that it sounds ok when you start it up, and there isn't any thing visual that would bother you if you were to own it. Take it to the dealership or an independent MINI mechanic to have them look it over if you are not sure.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM
gh0st
Neutral
There are no common issues? Like with older A4s the type of oil and oil filter along with the interchange interval is really important because there are sludge issues. The control arms wear out regularly and start clunking, the coil packs, the cam chain tensioner, the older style timing belt tensioner needs to be replaced sooner than the recommended interval from Audi, etc, etc. There are no gotchas with these cars? What about carbon build up due to direct injection?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Hey Ghost, this link discusses potential problems with first gen Minis 02-06 that are superchargd (R53): http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/ Issues are based on when the car was made. Search Motorfile for issues with the second gen mini known as the R56. It has different issues than the R53. I personally would avoid the 07 Mini (R56), which was the first year of a new engine. There's a number of turbo and sludge issues.

Just like any car, definitely DO NOT buy a MINI that has not been maintained properly and needs a lot of work. There are too many good MINIs on the market to waste your money on someone else’s problems. NAM Marketplace might be a great place to find a well-maintained MINI.

I have friends with R53s that have way over 100K and are still going strong with only standard maintenance. My 9 year old R53 is a daily driver with over 70K and only routine maintenance. I'll be interested to know if R56 owners will say the same in a few years.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
gh0st
Neutral
Awesome link, this is what I was looking for. Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
There are quirks and problems. Be aware of the CVT transmissions. Manual would be a better choice. The power steering is being investigated in the 2004 and 2005 models due to complaints. The NHTSA is doing the research here. Early cars like the 2003 and 2003 had problems with a suspension pin and an issue with the five speed transmission. Some other issues that I have seen and are the most reported are the window motors, a red engine light that causes loss of power. Be sure you have a dealer close by or a qualified local mechanic that knows Mini's as there are some instances that may not be able to be handled by a local corner shop. I use one recommneded by my local Mini Club but work along with them on maintenance, resetting service lights, etc. Otherwise its a great ride and one you'll enjoy for a long time. Good luck.