R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Snowed in MINI

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acesup1090
Just a little funny story. I was on my way home from work in a bad snowstorm, and couldn't fully make it all the way. I had to abandon good old Lucy on an entrance ramp to a highway, and this is what happened to her!

Poor Lucy! My heart is breaking for her!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those photos are painful to view. Oy.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TomFarin
You are from the SeaTac area with a whopping 11" of annual snowfall. Two of the last three years in Wisconsin we were over 100". I wouldn't be giving people advice on whether to stay with stuck cars during blizzards if I was you. Your advice could lead to hypothermia or worse. Last year we had hundreds of people stuck on I-94 outside Madison for around 8 hours. It was a near death experience for some of them. We were sending out snowmobiles to get people out of their cars and to someplace that was safe.

Stick to what you know -- how to drive a MINI in the rain.

100" ????? OMG And here I sit in Charlotte stuck at home for the past two days
because we got 5" of snow topped by 1/10" of ice. And the Mini is in a nice heated garage.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Well Tom I grew up in WI and spent lots of time in MT and I am in the mountains every weekend where we measure in feet not inchs. Just because
we live the wet side the cabin has 6 feet + right now at about 2400 FT. In WI I was the guy rescuing people stuck on the interstates with my snowmobile.

You should have enough fuel if you do get stuck and are stupid enough to venture out. You should have a snowmobile suite in the back, chains, Water
and some food. I have a stash in my winter vehicles. Water is froozen sometimes but I can thaw it out with the heater. If you are not prepared you should not go. People put here loved ones at risk because what, Target has a sale or they want to go now? I know I could get to bellevue to get my Mini and home on the run flats with no issues. I do not really trust the rest of the drivers. I will wait till tomorrow.

What do they alway tell people when they get lost or stuck in the mountains in there car. Stay with the vehicle! You will get found faster and more likely alive. Like the idiot in OR last year with the wife and baby who got stuck and he died trying to walk out. Family lived because they were found with the vehicle. He didn't get far in his sneakers and windbreaker.

Mt Baker gets over 1000" of snow a year. I have been to the top many times on a snowmobile. I pull a 21ft enclosed trailer higher on the mountain
than guys would go with a sled bed. Yes I chained all 4 35's. And had chains on the trailer too. For the amount of snow WI has been getting the last few years I would not be brag about snow. Several years you never even opened the snowmobile trails due to lack of snow. Lots of talk from a sod busting flat lander, LOL. I have pushed 3 feet of fresh with my truck and trailer getting to the turn out. Other just stop or get stuck and block the road. Same people who put it in park and and block the roads in the city. Surprise.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
Oh, a fellow Wisconsinite. I hear what you are saying and I'm pretty sure you hear what I'm saying. As for recent snowfalls, we broke our all time record in '08 then broke it again in '09, both over 100". '10 was a bit over normal.

You know from experience when you are stuck in a blizzard when the chill factor is sub zero and the snow is falling horizontally that your options are pretty limited. For the most part Wisconsin motorists are fairly well prepared.

Yes, people should have the right equipment and clothing and they should stay home when things are really nasty. In my case my MINI is wearing 4 Blizzaks and a collapsible snow shovel is in my bonnet along with cold weather gear. When things are really bad it is parked and if I venture out its in my Chevy Avalanche. But there are times when unexpected things happen that you don't see coming.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/15381096.html

I was a bit low on my estimate of the number of cars stranded on Interstate overnight. It was over 2,000.

Enough of this. What do you think about dem Packers?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Odd - only car stuck there........

And no other deep snow - the plow aimed for it repeatedly !

Last edited by MCS Fever; 01-12-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
I hope those Packers win so the Seahawks can beat them in Seattle. .
After we get by the Bears. I was always a Vikings Fan, LOL. Made it interesting with all my friends growing up. Keeps snow like it is for a couple more hours here and I am doing a little street riding on my sled. On the water here so we are the last to get any real snow here. Mountains are to get 1 to 3 feet by tomorrow. Can't sled for 2 weeks as i am off to Waukesha WI on friday for a week. Built our new plant there last year and closed the Seattle facility. Good WI workers and located in the center of the country for a good shipping location. And I can get a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. All that is missing is to drive the car onto the lake for ice fishing. Ok I am officially home sick now.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Island maser
I hope those Packers win so the Seahawks can beat them in Seattle. .
After we get by the Bears. I was always a Vikings Fan, LOL. Made it interesting with all my friends growing up. Keeps snow like it is for a couple more hours here and I am doing a little street riding on my sled. On the water here so we are the last to get any real snow here. Mountains are to get 1 to 3 feet by tomorrow. Can't sled for 2 weeks as i am off to Waukesha WI on friday for a week. Built our new plant there last year and closed the Seattle facility. Good WI workers and located in the center of the country for a good shipping location. And I can get a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. All that is missing is to drive the car onto the lake for ice fishing. Ok I am officially home sick now.
You are a dreamer. Not to many folks admitting to being ViQueen fans these days. Have a good time in Waukesha.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
If the weatherman is anywhere near correct we should be getting a bit of snow out of this storm here in southern New England. Glad I have my snow tires on. Should be fun tomorrow morning.

Wonder if we will see the plows on our street before Thursday.

Proper tires makes such a huge difference as to what conditions are fun and what conditions you should stay home. Got to love the Nokian tires. Those Finns sure know how to make a snow tire.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Waukesha the home of the Fonz. Get those queens back playing back outside since thebubble burst. Brett at the helm was just plan wrong. Girl who runs our customers service was in morning for a year. I told her it was like a boyfriend cheating on her. Her response- Oh- I coud live with that but the Vikings! Never!.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I can sooooo see the look on the snow plow driver's face every time he went by and buried that MINI. Hope you got out of there without much damage.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
Hope you got out of there without much damage.
That was my thought, too. Plows throw not only snow... also any grit, gravel, rock salt, truck tire treads, dead raccoons, etc. that happen to be in their path. In other words, stuff that I would NOT want bouncing off the pristine finish of my precious MINI!

Spridget

Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Got around 20" in our neck of MA today, still coming down pretty good. Left the house around 6am and got to work thankfully without trouble. Havent had to get any snow tires for any of my vehicles yet. MINIs are great in this crap!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Acesup1090
2nd Gear
Thread has been dead for a bit, but here's an update. I gathered a couple of friends and shoveled it out the morning the pictures were taken. After a half hour of digging, she was rescued. To the ******* that felt the need to berate me for being out in that weather without proper snow tires or "driving ability," I was coming home from work and this is the only car I have available to drive. It was left off of the road where it was not blocking the ramp. I did not feel the need to call for help when it's an unnecessary expense. I dealt with the situation myself in the morning, free of charge.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Rob490
2nd Gear
Benefit of living in SoCal? It was 80 degrees today :P

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that sucks! Hopefully you were able to get it out the next day or so.

For our judgemental friend from the PNW;

You primarily just get snow, on top of snow,on top of snow. 1" or 100" it doesn't matter, it's still just snow.
Driving in the Mountains at altitude, in snow, is a lot different than driving in the snow in the Long Island Sound area. Due to the effects of the salt in the air and the water, coupled with effect of differing thermal masses in the ocean and land as the storms move up along the coast, the snow comes down as wet, slushy crap. It's not the nice dry snow with a really nice coefficient of friction you would typically get inland in the PNW. I've lived in Vermont, Wisconsin, and grew up in the Mountains of So. Cal, so I have driven in a lot of snow. I've also towed horse trailers through the mountains in winter, with and without chains. It's no big deal.
In Southern New England, and Long Island we do not just have to drive through snow. It is a combination of snow, water, sluch and ice. You are, if not careful, capable of hydroplaining on a shear ice layer as your front end has to plow a mixture of ice, snow and slush. We typically have to drive on ice. As bad as Long Island can get, Boston and the Cape can be even worse.
The salinity content, along with the actual moisture content of the air at sea level has an effect on the way and type of snow that is encountered. It really is different than what you may be used to.

As for staying with the vehicle; He's not in a remote mountain pass miles from any occupiable dwelling. He's on a busy highway in Long Island, New York. There is no concern about an S&R Team. He most likely got caught by the storm going to or from work, You aren't always afforded the opportunity to wait out the storm, chain up and get on your way.
Get out of the vehicle, get yourself off the highway, and take care of it the next day.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
I don't know who to feel sorrier for; poor Lucy buried under all that trash or the poor, sad, lonely li'l guys and gals left locked up in their cold garages all winter long with no one to play with. At least Lucy got to go out for an adventure albeit a tragic one.