R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Snowed in MINI

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Acesup1090
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snowed in MINI

Just a little funny story. I was on my way home from work in a bad snowstorm, and couldn't fully make it all the way. I had to abandon good old Lucy on an entrance ramp to a highway, and this is what happened to her!

Attached Thumbnails Snowed in MINI-163485_478452332107_718207107_6379391_3995084_n.jpg   Snowed in MINI-166147_478452422107_718207107_6379393_118896_n.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
She looks so sad there, left alone and cold.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
old81
M6
That is so sad, your MINI was too low? Or just summer tires.

How the heck did you get home? Nasty looking snow.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
One of many reasons why I moved from the NY area. Sorry that had to happen to Lucy.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
Have you considered using your MINIs afterburners to melt the snow. Then just back out.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
That's funny.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Youre lucky, around here larger vehicles tend to target MINIs. If that was on a ramp around here you prob wouldnt find it till spring... If not with damaged parts!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
hahah wow! i just got back to long island right after this storm hit! good thing else i would of been posting this same thing!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
danadubs
1st Gear
That is super annoying. Sorry the plows did that. Hope you were able to dig out... I'm interested as well... how come you couldn't make it home? Summer tires?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
And this is why I live in the South. Also, I hope nothing was damaged on Lucy!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
-1 for abandoning your MINI!!!!!!!! MINI owners are like Marines and never leave one of our own behind.....

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to call Mr Plow!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
fixman2k
2nd Gear
OOF DAH --- I would have tossed in a hand gernade vs. shovel all that ;-)

Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
I really shouldn't have poked at you on this one (afterburner comment). I've been there too, but not with a MINI. My last time was with a Honda Accord. There were huge snow drifts across the road on the two mile 'back way' to my country house. I may have made it all the way except two cars had the road blocked side by side. Once I came to a stop my goose was cooked. Had to leave it there and walk the last 1/2 mile. When I came back the next morning, I was buried.

Not fun digging it out.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I do not get the whole leave your car and just go home. If you were stupid enough to be out on the road you should stick with your car until help arrives. Carry some extra cloths and supplies. When People just leave there cars the roads become totally blocked. Emergeny vehicles and 4x4 are prevented from accessing peopel in need. It is just plain stupid. If you do nto have the tires or driving skills park it. Get a hotel room. Why just block the road because you made a bad decision. Stares should impound the cars and $500 fine. That would get the message out to be responsible. I have been caught before too. I stuck to slow side streets and thought ahead about where all the hills are. We have a storm coming this afternoon in Seattle.
They have been warned for a week now but you will see parking lots all over the freeways tonight on the national news. Get Blizztacs, Cable Chains or learn how to drive. You never see this in Montana or the upper Mid West.
City Slickers. Give me a Mini with Blizztac's I will go places soccer mom's in SUV's can't go. Until you start plowing with the front end that is. In MT it is light snow but you can't see for the constant stream coming over the hood.
Drive smart out there people. I have rescued many of stcuk motorists over the years on snowmobiles. Drifted in over the doors. Best one- " He was going to the post office to mail a letter". I was lilke you moron you risked your life to mail a letter. Where do you think that letter was going to go during a blizzard. Here's your sign!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Island maser
I do not get the whole leave your car and just go home. If you were stupid enough to be out on the road you should stick with your car until help arrives. Carry some extra cloths and supplies. When People just leave there cars the roads become totally blocked. Emergeny vehicles and 4x4 are prevented from accessing peopel in need. It is just plain stupid. If you do nto have the tires or driving skills park it. Get a hotel room. Why just block the road because you made a bad decision. Stares should impound the cars and $500 fine. That would get the message out to be responsible. I have been caught before too. I stuck to slow side streets and thought ahead about where all the hills are. We have a storm coming this afternoon in Seattle.
They have been warned for a week now but you will see parking lots all over the freeways tonight on the national news. Get Blizztacs, Cable Chains or learn how to drive. You never see this in Montana or the upper Mid West.
City Slickers. Give me a Mini with Blizztac's I will go places soccer mom's in SUV's can't go. Until you start plowing with the front end that is. In MT it is light snow but you can't see for the constant stream coming over the hood.
Drive smart out there people. I have rescued many of stcuk motorists over the years on snowmobiles. Drifted in over the doors. Best one- " He was going to the post office to mail a letter". I was lilke you moron you risked your life to mail a letter. Where do you think that letter was going to go during a blizzard. Here's your sign!
"Blizztacs"???

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This from Gig Harbor, WA. Where is rains, and rains, and rains..... Explains the grumpy-nuss.....

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Going to snow today and I have to pick my JCW from the detailers, I might wait. They will be leaving there cars everywhere in the streets by 6PM. I snowmobile alot so play in the snow often. I hate the just leave my car and
go home crowd. Fit right in here in the Seattle area. They do drive good in the rain here. Was just in Miami and they should come here to practice.
Not sure how good being froozen into a snow bank is on the car and paint.
Some people just do not car. 20+ K investment and just leave it there to what ever happens. Your correct Fever! I have no vitamin D in my system.
On a weekly massive dose for 3 months. I need to visit the sun. Was in Miami last week and it was colder there than when I got home to Seattle. My luck.
Oh look WI and CT the next two weeks for travel. Doesn't look much brighter.
AZ is sounding good.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
SeanBlader
2nd Gear
AZ is sounding good.
No offense to the poor congresswoman, but AZ doesn't sound all that good to me.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Going to snow today and I have to pick my JCW from the detailers, I might wait. They will be leaving there cars everywhere in the streets by 6PM. I snowmobile alot so play in the snow often. I hate the just leave my car and
go home crowd. Fit right in here in the Seattle area. They do drive good in the rain here. Was just in Miami and they should come here to practice.
Not sure how good being froozen into a snow bank is on the car and paint.
Some people just do not car. 20+ K investment and just leave it there to what ever happens. Your correct Fever! I have no vitamin D in my system.
On a weekly massive dose for 3 months. I need to visit the sun. Was in Miami last week and it was colder there than when I got home to Seattle. My luck.
Oh look WI and CT the next two weeks for travel. Doesn't look much brighter.
AZ is sounding good.

And then it rains some more…… That snow ain't happening, never does when they actually think they see in coming in the NW. Lived here all my life, you just have to get out all seasons no matter what. Just got in from my daily walk - a bit chilly but dry!

You should have seen Snoqualmie Pass on Sunday afternoon - they lifted the chains requirment - yet a good dozen people were chaining up anyway! Pretty sure I saw chains on the rear of a front wheel drive car to boot.... And I-90 on West slope was mostly clear and bare! Anyone who knows how to drive and has decent tires should pretty much never have to chain-up a front wheel drive car.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:06 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
Tell us how you really feel......

Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Acesup1090
Just a little funny story. I was on my way home from work in a bad snowstorm, and couldn't fully make it all the way. I had to abandon good old Lucy on an entrance ramp to a highway, and this is what happened to her!
Wow thats alot of snow on the poor MINI
This might have been a good thing to have in the boot

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...d=6820&sc=3364

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Now that is kool......... Beats the rusty shovels I lug around over the Pass. Would add to shopping list......... if it wasn't for the bad reviews on the river....... Is cheaper there.......

On eBay too.

And by sellers who can't spell collapsible.

REI might be a better source......

Last edited by MCS Fever; 01-11-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
You are from the SeaTac area with a whopping 11" of annual snowfall. Two of the last three years in Wisconsin we were over 100". I wouldn't be giving people advice on whether to stay with stuck cars during blizzards if I was you. Your advice could lead to hypothermia or worse. Last year we had hundreds of people stuck on I-94 outside Madison for around 8 hours. It was a near death experience for some of them. We were sending out snowmobiles to get people out of their cars and to someplace that was safe.

Stick to what you know -- how to drive a MINI in the rain.

Quick Reply: R56 Snowed in MINI