R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dsc....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dsc....?

Hey guys. I was on my second REAL drive with my MINI yesterday. Had the sunroof down, heat blasting, cold January day, really phenomenal. I had the (controlled ) adrenaline and a HUGE smile on my face the whole time I was swishing around those turns, then downshifting and passing up other cars. Occasionally, I saw a couple of MINIs that had the same idea as me! One time, I was behind a MINI, a really pretty one- pepper white with (red?) sports stripes in a cabrio- and passed it up. Needless to say, he passed that car up to and he was right behind me the whole time we were cruising! Really a great thing to be a MINI owner, definitely a great community.

Anyways, enough rambling. On to my question. As I was going through those turns, I noticed the car was holding back a little. I don't know how to describe it, but it was almost like the car didn't want me to turn. I definitely felt in control of the car, and had a lot of space to work with. I tried harder and harder to try and get away from this "holding back" my MINI was doing, but I couldn't seem to?? So my question is, would DSC help in this situation, or would it just make it dangerous? I don't want to end up in a tree... but, on safe turns, I want to be able to corner them like my MINI wants me to! If it isn't the DSC, what could it be? Driving technique? Thanks!

Clay

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn off the DCS and learn to feel your car. I run with it off in all my cars unless it is raining hard and I am pushing the car hard. I don't trust it as much as I trust myself. Wrecked a z06 because of it. Car would not turn because I forgot to turn it off. Went staraight as an arrow but I need to turn. I could have went around that corner fast in my truck which has a 6" lift and 35" tires. Big brother was driving and it was my bad I forgot to turn it off for the 10 minutes home. Came out ahead on the deal too which was good. Drove it for 17 months and got all my money back with the insurance and sold it to make a race car. Hit a 4X4 stop sign. Ended up parked over it. Would not move and inch to the right with even full lock turning. I stopped 4 feet to long but at that slow speed it woould still not turn.
What good is a high performance car if only allows you to brake in a straight line?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Zo6's have dynamic stability control!? I thought they only had basic Traction control? The 07's have basic stability control.

If what your describing is understeer, you need to manage that with technique if the dsc or tc are working against your inputs the indicator lights will be flashing. Take a road course class. Track days work wonders as well as experience. I never have any issues with my mini unless im puahing too hard for the current set up which i will then understeer.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 02-18-2011 at 01:23 PM.