R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 MCS Impressions and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
claysin3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 MCS Impressions and Questions

OK... So, I've got 200 miles on my 2011 Eclipse Grey MCS (coming from a 2008 MCS with Stage I JCW tune) and I have a couple of questions. If any of you could help, that would be great... I've also listed a few of my first impressions. For other 2011 owners, what are your impressions?

First the questions...
1. What is the small dot that has been incorporated in/at the end of the fuel gauge?
2. My Sirius satellite radio reset itself to the factory presets and then magically went back to the programmed settings after about 30 minutes. Anyone else experiencing this?

Now the impressions...
1. Engine is noticeably improved over previous builds. Feels like much more than 9 HP improvement. Rivals the Stage I JCW tuner kit in all aspects.
2. Pop and Burble ROCKS!
3. Ride is SOOOO much quieter than before!
4. Cockpit is void of annoying creaks, rattles, etc.
5. HK stereo upgrade is well worth the price.
6. Black headlight surrounds, enuf said!
7. Ride is a bit too smooth. Some of the enthusiast feel has been lost.

Overall, this car is a marked improvement over the last generation. Anyone else have any impressions?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
Hello, unfourtunately I cannot help you with your questions, however I can share some of my impressions.

1) After 500 miles fuel consumption is improving.
2) At High altitudes de turbo lag increases considerably, making it a bit hard to avoid the turbo's sudden boost :S
3) For me the ride is a bit harsh in the city but perfect for the highways.
4)Since this is my first MINI, I've felt that people want to race all the time. If I approach someone on the highway they'll try to get away, and at stop lights 7 out of 10 times they try to keep up with me. (it's not that I drive that fast but that turbo is FUN!).
5) Adaptive headlights are wonderful!
6) The HK sound system indeed is worth it. The sound is very clear and has good enough bass for me.

Cheers!

Last edited by CFRM; 01-16-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Forgot #5 & #6
Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
I too was wondering about that little dot on the fuel gauge. As for the SAT radio mine has not done that but on Saturday it would not let me change channels, kept going back to channel one...

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
ptrd
2nd Gear
The dot? Is it when you're fuel is low dot?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
I have also been wondering about the dot. Its on all the time, I let the fuel run low ( 1/4 full ), just to see if it changed, it didn't, the pump icon and last 2 meters went red as expected. Must be some special feature we've yet to engage .... So far issues at all w/ my SAT, I use it all the time.

My 2001 is also my 1st Mini so can really compare, but would agree with all your impressions above, and I just LOVE IT.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 AM
tccox
4th Gear
My Sat radio has never done that, its been trouble free.

I also have no idea what the dot indicates (Hmmm just did a Google Search. Might it be the indicator for 30 miles remaining ??

MPG has improved from 28 to nearly 31 commuting to work.

HK Stereo is awsome

Cannot compare my 2011 MCS to earlier Minis. Believe it or not the day I picked up my new Mini was the first time I had ever even sat in a Mini. No regrets at all. Love the thing.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by claysin3
OK... So, I've got 200 miles on my 2011 Eclipse Grey MCS (coming from a 2008 MCS with Stage I JCW tune) and I have a couple of questions. If any of you could help, that would be great... I've also listed a few of my first impressions. For other 2011 owners, what are your impressions?

First the questions...
1. What is the small dot that has been incorporated in/at the end of the fuel gauge?
2. My Sirius satellite radio reset itself to the factory presets and then magically went back to the programmed settings after about 30 minutes. Anyone else experiencing this?

Now the impressions...
1. Engine is noticeably improved over previous builds. Feels like much more than 9 HP improvement. Rivals the Stage I JCW tuner kit in all aspects.
2. Pop and Burble ROCKS!
3. Ride is SOOOO much quieter than before!
4. Cockpit is void of annoying creaks, rattles, etc.
5. HK stereo upgrade is well worth the price.
6. Black headlight surrounds, enuf said!
7. Ride is a bit too smooth. Some of the enthusiast feel has been lost.

Overall, this car is a marked improvement over the last generation. Anyone else have any impressions?
My radio does the same thing; sometimes the presets come up, and sometimes the factory settings do. At first I thought my wife had deleted them all, then they show up the next time we start the car. And the programming is, I think, a nightmare for the Sirius stations. Clearly the BMW "I-Drive" engineers have been demoted to the Mini section.
I have the sport suspension and I like it--just right for me; no worse then my 09 Corvette.
Incidentally, the Vette has only been out of the Garage twice since the 011 MCS arrived. Lil Blu is just more fun to drive. And no quality issues at all.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
I can't address most of your questions. But I can share some impressions on my 2011 MCSC at 2,500 miles:
  • What torque steer? I've sensed it once in a fairly unusual situation.
  • I notice the same thing about folks wanting to compete. Two days ago it was an Acura RSX. I suppose he thinks he outgunned me. I wasn't gunning. I've owned an Acura RSX. I know what it can do. This MINI can do a lot more. But I don't need to prove it to him.
  • I can't speak for standard tire handling. I've been on Blizzaks since 100 miles. I have a feeling I'll be disappointed when I go back to my factory run flats.
  • Its snowing today (3-5"). My significant other asked whether I was taking the Avalanche today? Nope! This car is a horse on snow and ice with Blizzaks.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
+1 to everything... i had an 02 and just got my 2011... it has about the same torque pull that my 02 did and it was heavily modded... i love the ride... i mean i do want to eventually move to coilovers but for now it feels great... i love my HK system... it bumps! i cant wait to get the jcw stage 1 kit... i heard it the power gets you close to a factory jcw...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
chowmein702
Neutral
I love my MCS '11! I don't have anything to compare it to, since this is the first MIni I've owned, heck, it's the first time I ever even sat in a Mini! I did get to compare all 3 models at the dealer before I chose the MCS. IMO, I didn't get much more feeling out of the JCW!!! I chose the MCS for the "bang for the buck" factor.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by capt fred
My radio does the same thing; sometimes the presets come up, and sometimes the factory settings do. At first I thought my wife had deleted them all, then they show up the next time we start the car.
Are you using his & hers key fobs for the car? That would explain why the presets would change.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oakland Raiders Mini, I was thinking the same thing about the Sirius presets. I've not had the problem since I picked up my car on 30 December.

For some of the rest of you... Pictures!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now show us yours...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
J Kimmel
Neutral
Our new '11 is head and shoulders better than our previous 2006 S...ride is better quieter, the HK system is no comparison, and the power is huge in comparison. I cannot wait for a warm summer morning when I can run it over Loveland pass

silver is our old 2006, and the white one is the new one

Attached Thumbnails 2011 MCS Impressions and Questions-1224001212b.jpg   2011 MCS Impressions and Questions-0619001826.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM
datadink
1st Gear
I have never had any problems with the Sirius Radio but have wondered about the dot on the fuel gauge a few times myself.

I had a 2003 MCS and I must say that the 2011 I got last month is a vastly better built car. I attached a recent photo of mine that I took on a recent drive.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 MCS Impressions and Questions-miniintheburg.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
claysin3
2nd Gear
Kimmel... Both those rides are sweet! Love those black rims...

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
claysin3
2nd Gear
Melangell... Awesome ride... As soon as the residual road salt washes away and the lingering snow melts, I will post pics of my new ride! Gotta get her washed up first!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Dodgy
3rd Gear
First the questions...
1. No idea--like the rest of you very curious. It's illuminated, but the arrow pointing to the filling cap isn't... Huh.
2. Haven't had that problem ever. Was surprised to see that it actually kept my stations and preferences even after disconnecting the battery.

As to impressions, this is the first MINI I've owned and am quite enjoying it. I've had the opposite impression on ride, though: it can be very rough depending mostly on road surface (some seemingly smooth freeways get very tough--my wife says it's even harder as a passenger because you're not holding onto a wheel.)

Follow-up question. Anyone know if the stock bridgestone Turanza's are directional or not? I looked at the tire and didn't see the standard markings...

Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
claysin3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dodgy
As to impressions, this is the first MINI I've owned and am quite enjoying it. I've had the opposite impression on ride, though: it can be very rough depending mostly on road surface (some seemingly smooth freeways get very tough
Coming from a 2008, the ride is INCREDIBLY more smooth. My wife actually likes riding with me now! That said, it's a driver's car so it's never going to feel like a Mercedes sedan or an Audi A8 but relative to earlier MINIs... Well, all of us who traded up know what I'm talking about!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
for everyone that thinks it may be a rough ride they should go test drive an r53 and compare... mine was so rough!!! or maybe get ride of the brutal runflats which i need to do

Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First the questions...
Just a guess, but I'm thinking that it's there to show the range of the fuel gauge, so that you can judge at a glance the relative position of the current level. Look at an analog gauge, and you can see the full range and where the needle is within that range. The dot at the high end accomplishes the same thing, since the low end is always lit.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its my first Mini and I love it.
I was also wondering what that lil dot is.
The ride is rough but I think its more due to the run flats. I've had cars with 245/45 18's and the ride wasnt as bad lol

Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
According to the owners manual when the gas level is low "An indicator lamp comes on when the remaining range is less than approx. 30 miles/50 km."

I believe this is the indicator that you all are talking about.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I believe the light may just indicate fuel gauge is working. If you motor after the last indicator light, it stays on showing there is no malfunction and probably drawing your eye to the gauge reminding you that you are extremely low of fuel. Also, this is first of 4 MINIS I've had without sport suspension. Ride is too nice but it handles the same. Also, had same problems with Sirius as above. The 9 extra hp are made known to you. I could go on...

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
claysin3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by biggripper
According to the owners manual when the gas level is low "An indicator lamp comes on when the remaining range is less than approx. 30 miles/50 km."

I believe this is the indicator that you all are talking about.
The light in the tiny dot is always on! Don't think it is a low fuel indicator!

Quick Reply: R56 2011 MCS Impressions and Questions