R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ignorant, STUPID sales people at dealerships!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:50 PM
sailor737
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignorant, STUPID sales people at dealerships!

Hey All,
I was test driving a Cooper S and a JCW the other day and i was trying to decide if it was worth going for the JCW over the S model and the salesman told me that the 2011 JCW is SUPERCHARGED??? I asked him if the JCW engine had a different compression and he said no.... Then i asked him if it had upgraded brakes, already knowing the answer and he said no again... Are you seriously trying to sell me a car you know NOTHING about... CMON!!
Anyone else experience retarded sales folks... What happened to intelligent sales people who are actually enthusiasts!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
YES!! this one sales person tried to sell me a 08 mini cooper s and said it had 17" wheels but they were the 16 in wheels... they also thought it was super charged... ill give it to them that they werent a mini dealer but still know what your trying to sell....

Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Very rare to get an enthusiast as a salesman/woman. The ones there pretty much just wana sell a car and get paid or commision or whatever. When my wife got her VW Rabbit the salesman was a VW owner and even in a vw car club. He knew everything bout the car, thats what impressed her and made her mind up.
When I went to see about my MCS the guy was very knowledgable and courtyous (sp). An older gentleman, knew alot about the car and features/specs/history. Not pushy or too laid back, very pleasant to do business with. Even the test drive he took with me he was giving me tips on how to get the most out of car and appreciate the handling.
I have a few friends who sell autos and they dont know squat about them, just about payments and where the gas goes.
Real salespeople....... rare.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
good point.. i got very lucky with my salesman at mini of dallas! he owned a mini and knew a lot about them... it helped with our rapport and i ended up getting a GREAT deal and an amazing car!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
sailor737
Neutral
I'm in the military and use USAA auto circle which guarantees you a price just above invoice and options at INvoice as well!! The sales person told me that we wouldn't decide on a set price until AFTER i ordered it and AFTER it arrived. I knew i was to wait for the financing until it officially arrived but waiting to agree on a price?? Crazy!! it was the same salesperson who told me it was supercharged!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
First time buying a car in the USA ? .... lol.

What's even more rare Automan21, is a salesperson who actually owns/drives a car manufactured by the company he/she sells for

Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sailor737
I'm in the military and use USAA auto circle which guarantees you a price just above invoice and options at INvoice as well!! The sales person told me that we wouldn't decide on a set price until AFTER i ordered it and AFTER it arrived. I knew i was to wait for the financing until it officially arrived but waiting to agree on a price?? Crazy!! it was the same salesperson who told me it was supercharged!
If it's a set amount above invoice, you really never know the actual dealer cost until the car arrives.....probably why he would not comit.

Find another MINI dealer if you are uncomfortable with that one. Could be his ignorance is saving you from months of issues down the road.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
ptrd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
First time buying a car in the USA ? .... lol.

What's even more rare Automan21, is a salesperson who actually owns/drives a car manufactured by the company he/she sells for
It depends. Mini of Dallas, seems like most of the sales people drive mini's. They all park them in a row in the back.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah the salesman did own a 07 MCS and loved it lol

Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
I would venture that the average NAM poster knows more about MINI's than the average MINI 'motoring advisor'.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah sales person told me my 2008 HIFI (back in April of 2008) had the Harmon Kardon system.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about the not-so-knowledgeable motoring advisors. My Motoring Advisor was awesome!...and his advice/recommendations were a big part of the reason why I was able to afford a MINI in the first place! Shout out to Prestige MINI in Mahwah NJ, they have a great bunch of people working there! I was a first time new car buyer, and they really helped me out, made sure every concern I had was addressed, and offered me a great deal. My MA had mentioned to me that he has owned 3 mini's, and currently drives one, so he was more than knowledgeable on the vehicles. When I went to take delivery of my new cooper, as my MA was going over the features of the interior with me, he was thoughtful enough to NOT demonstrate the window operation knowing that the car had just been washed, otherwise it would have left dreaded water stains Little things like that make a big impression on me.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This thread makes me hope a new MINI dealership opens up nearby. If the majority of MAs aren't very educated about their product, then I'd think it'd be quite easy for one of us type to get a job there. I'd love a job selling MINIs, Talk about working with something you love. Plus, then I could get lower price on a new Coupe! WANT COUPE!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:39 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
I would venture that the average NAM poster knows more about MINI's than the average MINI 'motoring advisor'.
Thats because we do our "homework" on a car that becomes our pride and joy

Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
i knew more about the car than the little mom & pop lot's sales guy(son of said mom an pop) did. Despite the fact he told me they buy then sell at least 2-3 a month. But hey i got a great deal on it... $17,995 (before taxes,GAP,and such) I'll take it. Same dealer is now selling a 08 clubman S though... damnit!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
If it's a set amount above invoice, you really never know the actual dealer cost until the car arrives.....probably why he would not comit.
Nonsense, when you order a car, you order it at current pricing. I ordered my car and had the price negotiated at the time of ordering.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not everyone likes their job and is enthusiastic about it. Its hard to keep up with all the car models but with a MINi its easy. Not too many differences. So shame on a MINI MA that does not know the prior gen S was supercharged and the current gen S is turbocharged.

Let me tell you about my experience with my MA at Prestige MINI back in November of 2008.

He is on here and is active. When I met him he had a 2009 BRG JCW. We test drove a Cooper S, a JCW and a leftover R53 convertible with JCW kit and sidewalk package (that in retrospect was VERY sweet). He told me that I would like the JCW the best when I asked his opinion on supercharged vs. turbocharged.

So I go home to put a serious config together on miniusa.com. He says come back the next day, I have something that you will really like. He put me into my current JCW, a very loaded up car that was on the lot. He was excited too as he had not sold one yet. Keep in mind they had only been shipping for 4 months at that time.

Thanks BigMiniAl for a great buying experience!!! I got a great deal too. I could not be happier.

And the nice thing is we still stay in touch. I am dying to meet up with him to see his new 2011 JCW.

The guy even meets up with me a few days after I took delivery and buys me a bagel and coffee in the snow. That is dedication

Last edited by onefish2; 01-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Nice story. When I bought my first MINI back in April of 2002, the dealership was just completing the MINI section and the salesman that took me out for a test drive was a BMW guy. I don't think he knew too much about the car, but it didn't matter. After I took the first corner, I looked at him and said, "You've got the easiest job on the planet...this car just sold itself."

Old 01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Not everyone likes their job and is enthusiastic about it. Its hard to keep up with all the car models but with a MINi its easy. Not too many differences. So shame on a MINI MA that does not know the prior gen S was supercharged and the current gen S is turbocharged.

Let me tell you about my experience with my MA at Prestige MINI back in November of 2008.

He is on here and is active. When I met him he had a BRG 2009 JCW. We test drove a Cooper S, A JCW and a leftover R53 convertible with JCW kit and sidewalk package (that in retrospect was VERY sweet). He told me that I would like the JCW the best when I asked his opinion on supercharged vs. turbocharged.

So I go home an put a serious config together in miniusa.com. He says come back the next day, I have something that you will really like. He put me into my current JCW, a very loaded up car that was on the lot and I could not be happier. He was excited too as he had not sold one yet. Keep in mind they had only been shipping for 4 months at that time.

Thanks BigMiniAl for a great buying experience!!! I got a great deal too.

And the nice thing is we still stay in touch. I am dying to meet up with him to see his new 2011 JCW.

The guy even meets up with me a few days later and buys me a bagel and coffee in the snow. That is dedication

Who worked with you at Prestige? You mentioned his NAM name, "bigminial", is that Alfredo Lisciotto? He was my MA

Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Alan S. He is no longer with Prestige. He has moved onto bigger and better things. He is now selling Bentley's, Rolls-Royce's and Bugatti's in Greenwich, CT.

I will be calling him up next week to get me a Veyron . I wish .

Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
sailor737
Neutral
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
This thread makes me hope a new MINI dealership opens up nearby. If the majority of MAs aren't very educated about their product, then I'd think it'd be quite easy for one of us type to get a job there. I'd love a job selling MINIs, Talk about working with something you love. Plus, then I could get lower price on a new Coupe! WANT COUPE!!!!
That's what i'm talking about!!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
We just placed an order for a 2011 Countryman S. The MA we placed the order with is the same one who did my order in September '05 for my '06 MCS. As we've been going through the process again, my husband has been so surprised about how much he remembers about El Kabong. I finally had to fess up that Neal (the MA) liked my MINI so much back when I got it, that he ended up ordering the exact same one for his dad. His dad still has his, so Neal is still very familiar with it .
Regardless, it is great to order again with someone who so obviously loves what he sells. He has had quite a few MINIs of his own in the past 5+ years, but it is still what he drives everyday, too.
Annette

Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
Sorry to hear about the not-so-knowledgeable motoring advisors. My Motoring Advisor was awesome!...and his advice/recommendations were a big part of the reason why I was able to afford a MINI in the first place! Shout out to Prestige MINI in Mahwah NJ, they have a great bunch of people working there! I was a first time new car buyer, and they really helped me out, made sure every concern I had was addressed, and offered me a great deal. My MA had mentioned to me that he has owned 3 mini's, and currently drives one, so he was more than knowledgeable on the vehicles. When I went to take delivery of my new cooper, as my MA was going over the features of the interior with me, he was thoughtful enough to NOT demonstrate the window operation knowing that the car had just been washed, otherwise it would have left dreaded water stains Little things like that make a big impression on me.
I 2nd that for Prestige Mini. They were/are a gret bunch to deal with, especially my Motoring Advisor there.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
well i have to tell you as a former honda salesman it drives me nuts to find a sales person who does not know their products. im not a honda fan by any means, i needed a job and they offered, so when i worked there i could tell you anything you wanted to know about any honda for the currents years and i would find out anything else you needed to know about previous.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
He is on here and is active. When I met him he had a 2009 BRG JCW. We test drove a Cooper S, a JCW and a leftover R53 convertible with JCW kit and sidewalk package (that in retrospect was VERY sweet). He told me that I would like the JCW the best when I asked his opinion on supercharged vs. turbocharged.

So I go home to put a serious config together on miniusa.com. He says come back the next day, I have something that you will really like. He put me into my current JCW, a very loaded up car that was on the lot. He was excited too as he had not sold one yet. Keep in mind they had only been shipping for 4 months at that time.

Thanks BigMiniAl for a great buying experience!!! I got a great deal too. I could not be happier.

The guy even meets up with me a few days after I took delivery and buys me a bagel and coffee in the snow. That is dedication

That is an awesome story. In reality, I think that the MINI more than most cars should be sold by an enthusiastic person who really knows what they are talking about. These cars are awesome but unfortunately overlooked by people who don't give them a 'real' chance.

Im starting to consider selling MINIs as I love the brand and could use the extra cash (minimum wage part time at a clothing store isnt quite cutting it anymore :P).

-Bradley

Quick Reply: R56 Ignorant, STUPID sales people at dealerships!