R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Lo/Jack, is it worth it and who's got it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lo/Jack, is it worth it and who's got it?

I know there is a thread on theft protection where Lo/Jack is discussed a little bit but it is from 2008. I wanted to start a fresh thread and get some of your opinions on GPS security tracking options and Lo/Jack systems with the "early warning" key fob. What do you recommend based on your experiences? I live in NYC and work in crime-dense areas and as I pour money into my car, I grow wearier... Although I usually always make an attempt to park in a garage, I may look into something like this for peace of mind.

I know the MINI's have engine immobilizers (igniton interrupt) built-in and the parking break holds pretty well but if what if a thief or group of thieves were to flatbed it etc... This may seem trivial to some of you but I am just curious as to your opinions, please share

Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
ptrd
2nd Gear
The sad reality is, if thieves want it, they will get it.

I mean they stole a brand new 750il from the Detroit motor show. Lojack is just another theft deterrent. Again, flatbedding a car is easy even with the brakes on. The car just slides up the ramp (I've seen it personally on a wrecked car with locked brakes).

At the end of the day you just have to make the car a target. Be smart about what you keep inside and knowing that modding the car could attract unwanted attention.

Also it's slightly safer to know there aren't that many mini and parts aren't interchangeble. So it's not like a civic / escalade where you can easy wash the parts.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOT worth it...DON'T got it!! Do have an Alarm though, don't know what that's worth don't want to find out either!!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
For me, it's a matter of IF I want the car back after it was ACTUALLY driven like they stole it..... .

Insurance company gives you back the car after some cosmetic damage repairs then subsequent issues pile up on your wallet.

No thanks to LO/JACK.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 AM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
if you have Nav you don't need lo-jack. Police can track your car through any GPS system.

Not sure if Lo-jack will void warrenty or even if it's compatible with the onboard computer.

If you can't get remote start I doubt you can get lo-jack.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
NoHoR56
2nd Gear
Don't get it for a MINI. The cars that need it the most are the ones that are stolen the most - which, in 2010, were mostly SUVs. In which case, I still wouldn't want it.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TA2DMAC
if you have Nav you don't need lo-jack. Police can track your car through any GPS system.

Not sure if Lo-jack will void warrenty or even if it's compatible with the onboard computer.
It can be run completely separately so there is no requirement for it to be compatible with the onboard computers.

You can get lo-jack even with out the possibility of remote start.

I had it on my last truck and it did get me the truck back with all the tools in it (stolen in Boston) but when all was said and done the truck was not worth putting back on the road. Only reason I got it back was that I watched them steal it and was on the phone to the police with in seconds of it being stolen. If it had not been there to see it happen it probably would have been HOURS before I knew it was gone, and at that point it would have been taken apart and the lo-jack disabled. Most real car thieves can find the parts and disable it in less than 10 minutes.

As others have said if the thief wants it they will take it no mater what.

Just make sure you leave nothing in it that makes them want it.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
peeti
3rd Gear
Ummm.. since when? All GPS systems, save onStar-like ones, are one-way only.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear

Don't know if this is true either about the GPS tracking... how exactly would the police track it? The police claim the only tracking device they use is the Lo/jack system.. and ON-Star I guess?

I know the benefit of having lo-jack is that it works through radio frequencies. So if your car is hidden in a garage or satellite poor location, it won't be easy to find it if you were using GPS.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had it on my 2007 MCS and just had it installed in my Countryman All4. Insurance doesn't discount anymore so at least I may get the car back. My hope is the police catch the thief and there is jail time.

Worth it to me. I don't know how hot the Countryman will be on the stolen car market.

Bill

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It consists of 27 satellites, 23 which are always active. A gps reciever basically connect to at least 4 of them in order to determine your position. Older GPS systems had CD's that you had to install non interactive software that would show your position based on stored data and position recieved via GPS reciever, thus having to buy upgraded software regularly. However newer system have what's called active postioning. They have whats simular to an IP address. The reciever not only recieves postions from the satelites, but also stores and/or sends data depending on your GPS. A logger tracks data in interevals and stores it inside the gps unit and can be accesed via USB, usually used by trucking companies to track an employees driving habits. Second is a data pusher, which a lot of fleet vehicles like UPS or Armored cars use to track vehicle postion, speed direction, standing time etc. The data encrypted and is transfered to their base system. Finally theirs a data puller, which is basically what Onstar and Lowjack and every cell phone with GPS. It's a continuosly active system that can be accessed when needed. All real time GPS sytems are equiped with data pullers. Don't beleive me, go to Google earth Lattitude, sign up and type in your phone number. It will pin point you. However you have to accept through the text it sends you first (their way of keeping it legal).