R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Too many gadgets and wires!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
todoubled
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many gadgets and wires!!!!

Where do I start, i guess finding a lighter adapter that gives u the ability to use at a min 3 additional gadgets and fit in the cubby space under radio. I found one that blew up and havnt found one to replace it. Ive got a valentine radar, gps, droid, sirius radio and phone charger. 90%of car lighter adapters dont work with valentine radar for some reason . So i found a dual ext that worked with the valentine then connected to another dual lighter adapter. Now that the powers taken care of it on to the aux input. I got a triple aux adapter and connected it to droid,sirius and gps(use it for its bluetooth). Thanks to kevin from IAudio resolving aux volume issues for me with his systme it sounds totally on par with cds, im no audiophobe but i cant tell the diffrence between cd and the droid or sirius. The only thing i noticed is the bass is lower but easy to adjust for the droid. It took longer to get the wires under controll then tryn to figure droid out. The new droid is pretty sick. It fits into my old balckberry holder too almost identical size and issue of it not fitting with case. Im really enjoying the Integral audio system. I forgot what my point was i guess being stuck home in crappy weatherr im just bored and feel like bein bitchy. and frustrated with it.

Last edited by wandrur; 02-05-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
With that many gadgets the only way to really connect them is by hardwiring. The V1 came with a hard wire kit. The Siruis radio probably requires the DC plug for the 5V converter but you can hide that inside the center console (I hid mine behind the dash) I bought a female socket at radio shack to hardwire. So easy and clean.

Pull up the center console and tap the lighter plug wiring or tap with an add-a-circuit in the fuse box.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate seeing wires. I have my V1 hardwired. That is the first thing I did when I got my MINI home. It went into the garage and I hardwired it.

I have a TomTom iPhone kit and that is hardwired as well.

If I can do these mods any one can.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
SpyderDNA
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought the radio shack female socket today so I can hook up my Starmate 5 without having that ugly plug sticking out my lighter socket.

Where did you hook the terminals of the adapter too?
Did you mount the socket or is it just lying behind the dash somewhere?

Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
With that many gadgets the only way to really connect them is by hardwiring. The V1 came with a hard wire kit. The Siruis radio probably requires the DC plug for the 5V converter but you can hide that inside the center console (I hid mine behind the dash) I bought a female socket at radio shack to hardwire. So easy and clean.

Pull up the center console and tap the lighter plug wiring or tap with an add-a-circuit in the fuse box.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My Sirius power adapter is behind the dash inside the trim piece that's exposed when the right door is open. I get the power from fuse panel by using the Buss add-a-circuit. There are a lot of threads on this subject. I have the V1 on an ignition switched circuit and the sirius stiletto on the 30 min delayed circuit.

To get in the least amount of trouble electrically (and with the dealer) tapping the circuit underneath the lighter socket is the safest place.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the easiest place to tie into power is under the cigarette lighter. Just loosen the center console and clamp onto the wires there. (Blue plastic wire clips are available from Radio Shack) More than one adapter will fit under the side of the console. Then pull apart the dash as far as you need to to get the wires to where you need them.