R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ordering Ice Blue Mini this weekend..a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there, I almost ordered Ice Blue, but switched to Horizon Blue(for business reasons), but love the Ice Blue. You can get all kinds of mirror caps after market, I got the checkered ones for my '06 on ebay. You can also do a vinyl wrap in black.
I would absolutely get the heated seats, my husband just test drove the Countryman with them and until he tried them he didn't think he'd like them but said it felt great on his back. He liked the medium setting.
I would go with the Xenons and white turn signals (those egg yolks in the middle of your pretty blue hood = yuk).
The Harmon Kardon sound system is great. I know you could probably find aftermarket at a stereo shop for a better price, but if you're not the type to do it, then get the HK and enjoy a decent sound system.
If you have a tendency to spill, the leatherette is great. We ordered it on the Countryman.
I had the cloth on my '06 and treated it with an upholstery spray I got at a fabric store.
Annette

Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 AM
OurPassportStamps
1st Gear
Aloha Everyone!

I just wanted to say how blown away I am with how quickly each of you responded to my post and how appreciative we are for all your input.

I just printed out this entire thread, so DH can read and analyze.
and then I can play around with the configuration later today.

We are considering bumping the budget up a bit based on your suggestions
DH wants me as safe a possible, especially since we have all these monster SUVs around us...so the numerous lighting comments are being considered

the last 2 cars that I've had have all all been for at least 10 years each and over 100,000 miles on them (Honda Civic Hatchbacks) Both of those cars were little work horses and served me very well, I'm hoping the MINI will be just as wonderful!!!

So, I'll come back with the end result...should I post it here or start a new thread? Still learning about where to find things on this message board and how things are done around here, in terms of posting protocol!

Thanks again!!!

Karen

Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is another thread you might want to read. Its "What do you most regret" or something to that effect. It lists all the things people wish they had ordered and didnt.
When I was ordering my MINI I was torn between the fact that I was used to driving more "luxury" type cars and didnt want to buy a car that I would regret later on because of the amenities that it lacked. I also didnt want to push the price up into the range of a 3 series BMW. I must have spent 2 months going back and forth on Minis website configuring my car. In the end I kept my price to a reasonable level and still got a car that feels like a little brother to my wifes BMW.

In an earlier post I mentioned 2 less expensive options that I was glad I ordered, but if I was going to mention the ones that I would have been kicking myself if I didnt order it would be the Xenon headlights, sunroof, and the HK stereo. The Xenons make a huge difference in night driving. The sunroof is huge, and the problems that people talk about in the forums are mostly on earlier models. It lets in a lot of light, opens wide, and makes me feel that I didnt really miss much by not getting a convertible.
The HK stereo is much better than the standard one- much better!

If your budget is really tight, get the things now that you cannot get at a reasonable price later. You can get the armrest later.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
I'm replying simply for the first question, but I'll do all
1) The highest setting really is "burn your bum!". I put it on initially in coldcold weather, but always have to drop it down. Feels amazing on the back, I just get too hot and my carpool buddy doesn't do "hot seats, sunroof open" in 20deg weather
2) Negotiate for the dealer to swap em. Some dealers won't budge much on price, but will throw in freebies
3) HK sound is a must. And frankly, I love my sunroof and since you're not looking to track it, I say go for the Prem. Package