R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Unsure about trading up, R50 to '08 S

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unsure about trading up, R50 to '08 S

I have an '06 R50 5spd that I am mostly happy with, but I have have been considering trading up to an S. The sticker price on my '06 was $16,888 on clearance which was about $5k less than average for this market. It had 31,000km on the clock and is well optioned.

The dealership I purchased it from is trying to sell me an '08 S. They initially had it listed for $26k, which is about right for the area. It has been dropped and dropped until they're trying to clear it out at $19,888. I took it for a spin and I'm actually keeping it overnight while they look over mine to give me a trade in estimate.

I have to say, I'm on the fence. While it does feel quicker, it doesn't seem as dramatic as I had expected. The handling is much stiffer, which I like, and it pulls harder in a straight line, but running it through it's paces on a favorite twisty road it didn't feel all that much faster. It also has some gremlins I think. Clutch engagement feels high, and the shifter actually came loose in my hand and had to be banged back into place, the drivers side window kept rolling itself down.

Overall it drives nicely but because of the high mileage and weird quirks I don't plan on purchasing it. I guess I just thought it was going to be a very dramatic difference and I'm surprised that I didn't fall in love with it. I did like that with the sport button rev matching on downshifts seemed easier, and as I said, the stiff handling and responsiveness were great, but it seems like I could spend a few bucks on aftermarket stuff for my R50 and get similar results for fewer dollars.

Would an R53 have a much different feel? Am I missing something?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
jmnegrin
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, how well your '06 R50 compares to an '08 R56 MCS speaks well for the R50, in terms of engineering, design and execution.

I had a similar experience eons ago, when my drive was a SAAB99. I had a chance to drive a SAAB900 (slightly newer model), but with a turbo. I, too, was expecting exciting differences, and displays of raw power. It did feel more powerful, but nothing dramatic. Sound familiar?

My current drive is a '10 MCSa. It was being serviced, and I got a '11 MCa as a loaner. I was impressed by how similar it felt to my car, even though down 50 or so horsepower. It was rainy, so I'll leave comparisons in absolute handling to others. Getting on the freeway, and getting up to speed was definitely more leisurely, but not slow. Gearing may have some to do with that.

Some of the electronic gremlins may also have something to do with how it was performing overall. Computers do SO much these days, its hard to figure what's mechanical and what not.

ALSO, when comparing remember that there are factors that influence how one car will feel vs another. Wheels, tires (especially tires!), sport suspension, and other options or mods have to be considered.

Good luck in your search(s),

Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I dropped it off this morning and wasn't pressured at all, i just told him about the quirks and my reasons for not being passionate about the trade. I think I will hold onto my R50 for another year or two at least.

Once I ditch the winter tires for some good summer rubber, put a sway bar and a sprint booster and a CAI on it, I think it will meet all my needs. If it feels really solid with those mods, I may feel comfortable spending a little more money on suspension upgrades. I'm glad I spent some time with the S, because now that I'm not so eager to own one, I can be more rational in my decision if another tempting offer comes up. I think if I were to upgrade to a faster, more powerful ride, it would have to be a dramatic difference in performance to be worthwhile. Probably something RWD.