R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which version should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't forget to report back with what you buy....

Be sure to read post #42 here........

400,000 Mile MINI

And post #523 here - High mileage MINI's do exist !!!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3206996

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-21-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
If its not too late......I suggest the base model. If you are cruising then whats the difference. I am at 25,000 miles per year and enjoy every moment of mine between highway and two lane country road. Put the car in sport mode and enjoy the acceleration and handling. I get 42 miles per gallon driving spirited and corning the heck out of on/off ramps. I also got 205/55/15 tires for even better handling. I also have a six speed so driving quickly with higher RPM's is not a problem. The suspension is a little less firm but not at the expense of riding mushy ...at all. The gearing will surprise you with what it can do even without the turbo. Love mine and will never be sorry for getting a base model. Additionally, as mentioned, I love the safety of the spare tire driving the distance that I do. Try it before you decide. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini coop
........... The suspension is a little less firm but not at the expense of riding mushy ...at all. .........

Justa has the same suspension as the S and the JCW. You can add the $500 sport suspension option to all 3 models. There's another stiffer yet $1,307 suspension kit option for the JCW. It's those 15" tire that give the softer ride......

Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Vic Mackey
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The price on the 08 used one is a great price. You still would have over a year of warranty left.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
IloveMyGirlFriendsMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you test drive both before making any decisions.

I own and have a passion for some fairly serious sports cars, right now a honda s2000, before that a highly modified/turbocharged/roll caged miata as well as other comparable cars, and I am SHOCKED by the performance of my gf's stock automatic 07 justa that we picked up this weekend...

She was originally looking at earlier type s coopers with 60k+ miles at comparable prices to what we got the 25k mile 07 for. Just as you have expressed concern about driving a boring car, she wanted to get out of her accord and get into something that was actually FUN to drive, so we thought the S was the only way to go. FALSE.

The car is so light and well balanced so that like the mazda miata (one of the top rated sports cars of all time), an extra bit of hp doesn't necessarily increase the fun factor. Although my s2000 is exciting, I have to admit that my non turbo 1990 miata was possibly more fun in the narrow coastal mountain twisty back roads of california due to the fact that it was even smaller and lighter.

So back to the mini... When we started to think about the fact that she spends 60 miles a day or more commuting, and saw the 40mpg claims on the non supercharged/turbocharged mini's, we new we had to give one a try. My girl friend even took the time to learn how to drive a manual before going out to test drive mini's so that we could possible look into getting a manual mini due to our concerns that an automatic would be a dog.

We found the very clean pepper white 07 auto with the sports package/paddle shifters/etc and decided to check it out. When we realized how fun the little car was despite the fact that it had what I used to refer to as a slush box, and she could relax in california traffic but still have fun, we were sold.

I love gliding through the gearbox in my s2000, but today I just took the mini for a spirited drive through the hills above berkeley/oakland, and I still managed to have a blast. The fact that the car is so light and easy to toss around, and the selectable transmission allows a little more control entering the turns unlike a standard auto, it is undeniably a thrill to drive. While cruising down the highway it feels nice and solid and well built, normally what I would feel in a heavy vehicle. When I start pitching it through the twisty roads, it feels feather light. I can't wait till we throw some wider/lower profile wheels and tires on it...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniShini
I need to go buy a car.
With the kind of miles you plan to drive, I too would suggest a new '11 or near new. Better yet, you may still find a left over 2010 at epic savings. Some NAMers have posted $5-7K off MSRP! Please keep us posted

One question on the run flats. Do you carry a spare tire with you if you don't have run flats? And do Mini's have donuts? I mean, it's practically a donut already. I guess I've only had one flat in the last 5 or so years, so maybe it's not that big of a concern.
I ditched my runflats years ago and never looked back. Instead of carrying a donut, I carry a Slime kit with me to repair flats. It’s around $54 at your local Chinamart. http://bit.ly/b6cLE1

Or, you could use Tyre Guardian. It’s also suppose to work fine with modern tire pressure systems (TMPS). It works on the opposite principle of green goop like Slime. You add the liquid to your tires before you have a flat. Matter in fact, it's suppose to last the life of the tire. Here's their website for more info: http://www.tireguardian.com/ I don’t know how reliable this product is over time. I know slime works because I’ve used it; it’s just messy.

I also have tow insurance, which adds about $12 per year on my premium, but I enjoy the peace of mind .

BTW: With a Cooper S, all roads are flat and straight, and I don't care where you live.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
MiniShini
1st Gear
I Got One!

After a long day - but very fun - of driving every mini available, we decided on the 2008 S 6-Speed that we'd looked at originally. Isn't that the way it works out. I had a really enjoyable 35 minute or so drive before handing it over to my hubby for the rest of the evening. He's due home at 8 and he'd better not be late!
I think I've attached at pic of it.

Attached Thumbnails Which version should I get?-my-mini.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Pepper white. Good choice. Have fun!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
OK. One final piece of advice. (I hope)
I can get an '08, 6-speed, 25,200 miles for $14999. It's been at the non-mini dealership for about 6 months. I can take it in for a key scan - although I don't have permission from the owning dealership for that yet. Should I buy it or get something newer with fewer miles. I can't really afford $20,000 - or I don't really want to.
Just double checking that this is what you finally bought... My '08 Cooper has 39,000 so that's a good, low mileage MINI.

+1 on the color! You're gonna love your commute - mine's 60 miles a day and I declined the Honda, too.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Congratulations MiniShini on your new MCS! Here's my definition of the MINI: A short car that inspires long tales. Please let us know how you get along.

Follow this link to local MINI/Mini clubs: http://bit.ly/amGWsd . This is a great way to enjoy some extra miles and make some new friends as well.

Let the fun begin!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Congrats, MINI Shini! Happy motoring!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Congrats! You made the right choice. As if you didn't already know

Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
After a long day - but very fun - of driving every mini available, we decided on the 2008 S 6-Speed that we'd looked at originally. Isn't that the way it works out. I had a really enjoyable 35 minute or so drive before handing it over to my hubby for the rest of the evening. He's due home at 8 and he'd better not be late!
I think I've attached at pic of it.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
One little complaint

OK. I drove to work this morning and everything was great. I have a problem thought. What am I supposed to do with gears 3, 4, & 5. I'm already doing 50 by the time I top out 2nd. And I CANNOT get a speeding ticket yet. My hubby will kill me......twice!
Totally had a blast on the way to work. Can't wait to have to go "run some errands" and enjoy the roof on this beautiful 48 degree day!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
OK. I drove to work this morning and everything was great. I have a problem thought. What am I supposed to do with gears 3, 4, & 5. I'm already doing 50 by the time I top out 2nd. And I CANNOT get a speeding ticket yet. My hubby will kill me......twice!
Totally had a blast on the way to work. Can't wait to have to go "run some errands" and enjoy the roof on this beautiful 48 degree day!

Let's hope you keep the tickets to a MINI-mum. Radar detector time?

So does a used MINI from a non-MINI car dealer come with any factory warranty?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
It's still got some factory warranty left on it. So, I've scheduled a key scan and we'll go from there as far as what has to be done. I know the dealer we bought from changed the oil, so I plan to have to preferred oil put back in it and sort of start fresh with the maintenance plan. Brakes and windshield wipers should be fine, but I don't want to mess around with unknown oil. I can also purchase the extended warranty/maintenance plan which I intend to do.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
It's still got some factory warranty left on it. So, I've scheduled a key scan and we'll go from there as far as what has to be done. I know the dealer we bought from changed the oil, so I plan to have to preferred oil put back in it and sort of start fresh with the maintenance plan. Brakes and windshield wipers should be fine, but I don't want to mess around with unknown oil. I can also purchase the extended warranty/maintenance plan which I intend to do.

That's kool on the factory warranty. With your kinda highway miles I would recommend 10,000 miles between oil changes. Be sure and check the oil level on occasion, the turbo charged MINI does use oil.

I always go without the extended warranty and/or extended maintenance plan whether it be a vehicle, computer, camera, appliance, cell phone.... you name it. There are threads on here discussing them. It boils down they are a good deal for the sellers, or they would not be selling them. But if you must, remember the price on everything is negotiable.

So does your new baby still have the original run flat tires on it? If so - how do you like the ride comfort on run flats?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
I've never bought an extended warranty/maintenance on anything either. We're pretty self sufficient around here. But we've also become significantly busier and if I can make this someone else's problem, that sounds good to me. I may regret it after I hit 100,000 miles - and then I'll just chalk it up to learning.

I'm still out on the run flats. We're going to change them, put 17" rims on with low profile tires. But I don't know if I hate the tires or not. I'm thinking it's definitely a rough ride, but the first 15 miles or so are paved county roads and they're pretty rough anyway. So is it the tire, the sport suspension, the road, or all of the above? But the thought did enter my head that my chiropractor might be getting more money too. LOL

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM
amberback
5th Gear
I'd ditch the run flats for sure if you're buying new tires. They're super expensive and don't do you enough good to be worth it. Try some 215/45/17s on the new wheels.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats MiniShini, as if there was any doubt about the outcome of your first post. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Maine Mini S
1st Gear
Congrats on the new ride! I was expecting that was the one you were going to get. Nice price and nice mileage!
I just bought my first Mini a 2011 MC S and I found the ride to be a little bit stiff at first too, but you get use to it and with that smile on your face..... You won't even notice it!

2011 Mini Coupe S Black w/red stripes

Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
I've never bought an extended warranty/maintenance on anything either. We're pretty self sufficient around here. But we've also become significantly busier and if I can make this someone else's problem, that sounds good to me. I may regret it after I hit 100,000 miles - and then I'll just chalk it up to learning.

I'm still out on the run flats. We're going to change them, put 17" rims on with low profile tires. But I don't know if I hate the tires or not. I'm thinking it's definitely a rough ride, but the first 15 miles or so are paved county roads and they're pretty rough anyway. So is it the tire, the sport suspension, the road, or all of the above? But the thought did enter my head that my chiropractor might be getting more money too. LOL

Well that's another thing - you will run out the miles on any warranty very fast before the time runs up - another reason not to buy the warranty.

If you are going from 16's to 17's then hell yea ditch the run flats. Low profile tires ride rough enough as it is. We stayed with 16's and even before the wife got out of Discount Tire's driveway she could tell the ride quality had vastlly improved over the run flats.

The sport suspension is a $500 option and may not be on your S. (The S does not stand for sport - in fact it's up in the air just what the S stands for). You could have your VIN run to see what options your car has.

This NAM member will email it to you:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-car-has.html

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-23-2011 at 10:00 AM.