R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which version should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM
MiniShini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which version should I get?

I'm looking for a Mini Cooper, it's my first. I'll be using it as a daily driver putting on approximately 100 highway miles a day. I'm in love with the coupe S, but I don't know if that's what I should get. My husband is doing a lot of reading on this and other sites and so we'd like some advice.

Should we get the S or should we stick with the standard model? It will be a six speed either way. If we are set on the "S" version, would we be better off with a 2006 "S" vs a 2007 or later "S"?

I'm a little crazy - not criminal - just crazy. I generally plan to get a speeding ticket once a year. I love to drive. I love my music loud.

My husband is slightly less crazy and wants to get a car that won't be a complete PITA needing constant repairs or otherwise lacking in reliability.

I always drive the wheels off my cars, my current car has over 205,000 miles on it and runs just fine. I would expect to drive my mini for at least 150,000. Will an S last that long?

Either tell me I'm too crazy and need a standard model, or tell my husband to chill out a bit. And I'm impatient as hell too, so I might have a car tomorrow afternoon!

Last edited by MiniShini; 02-20-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: adding year
Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Test drive both. I really like my Cooper S, I got it last May and it hasn't seen the dealer since. Be sure to change the oil every 5K miles instead of the facoty recomended interval, your turbo will thank you!

I used to get at least a ticket a year, until I got a good radar detector, they are well worth the price.

Dave

p.s. There is another thread going on now about the same thing, check it out.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mc-vs-mcs.html

Last edited by DneprDave; 02-20-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
I would recommend the MCS, unless you live and drive only in a congested city and your top speed is typically regulated by the next stoplight. In that case, save yourself some money and just get the standard Cooper; they’re still a blast to drive.

Regardless, as DneprDave said, test drive both .

Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniShini

I generally plan to get a speeding ticket once a year.........

......a car that won't be a complete PITA needing constant repairs or otherwise lacking in reliability.

I always drive the wheels off my cars, my current car has over 205,000 miles on it and runs just fine. I would expect to drive my mini for at least 150,000. Will an S last that long?

Duplicate thread here.

In that case plan for more than 1 ticket a year in any MINI.

Buy new, the warranty will help if there are reliabilty issues.

Best MPG will be had from a Justa, which will also have the best ride quality.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-21-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The 2007 and new S will have the "Prince" engine and get a lot better MPG's. Driving 100 miles a day the mpg's will make a big difference. It's is also turbo charged instead of supercharged and has more power.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seriously? 100 miles a day? That's 25K a year just from commuting? On a used Mini?...lol

Seriously? Buy a Honda. Change the oil about once a year and buy tires. The thing will run forever. Not fun, but how much fun is 25K a year of commuting?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
Seriously? A Honda?? I might as well cut my hair and become a lesbian too! No freaking way. I want to enjoy my 100 miles a day and have some fun - otherwise, I might as well become an accountant too.

I apologize to the lesbian accountant that I've just seriously offended.

I want a Mini - I want an S. I just need to justify it.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Seriously? 100 miles a day? That's 25K a year just from commuting?

.......how much fun is 25K a year of commuting?
Depends on the commute - in rural Nebraska probably nice clear flat roads with little traffic where you can actually drive......

Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
You're right. I drive about 100 miles a day right now and I don't even see a car usually until I'm about 30 miles into the trip. And then it's clear sailing again until I'm about 5 miles from my office. So, yeah, the road is mine and I'd like to enjoy it. And if I do get a little board, I take a different route - cause I have several options. I LOVE Nebraska!!! ('cept it's a little cold today)

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 AM
amberback
5th Gear
I'd suggest a non-s Cooper. I don't think you'll be disappointed, mine never feels slow. They're more reliable, in general, and just as fun to drive.

Buy the newest one you can. Even better if you buy new - you never know how the car may have been treated before and having a warranty will be nice. Do NOT buy a pre-2007 automatic non-S (CVT issues). If you're going automatic and pre-2007 then get the S (didn't have the CVT). If you're getting a manual then that won't be an issue.

I also drive a lot, at least 80 miles a day. I love my Cooper.... but I do put it away in the winter and drive a winter-beater Honda to help keep the MINI miles "low" (at 20k a year).

Something else to consider... Once you get in the MINI you'll probably find yourself driving around for no reason. Taking the long way home. Going on rallies with the club or driving across the state for an event. So maybe you drive 100 miles a day now, but you might want to take all those new extra "MINI miles" into consideration.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
You're right. I drive about 100 miles a day right now and I don't even see a car usually until I'm about 30 miles into the trip. And then it's clear sailing again until I'm about 5 miles from my office. So, yeah, the road is mine and I'd like to enjoy it. And if I do get a little board, I take a different route - cause I have several options. I LOVE Nebraska!!! ('cept it's a little cold today)

Can't beat that - an hour moving to do 50 miles beats a hour crawling to do 10 miles any day. What better way to do that 50 miles than in a car you love.

You will be happiest with an S power wise, happiest with a Justa MPG and ride quality wise. Our MINI is the wife's too, and the Justa was just not on the radar. She wants something that gets out in traffic or passes when the power is needed. We improved the ride quality greatly by getting rid of the run flat tires right away. Her previous car was a 2005 PT Cruiser GT HO turbo, even the S MINI beat it for MPG. I still recommend buying new for warranty and reliability.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-21-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nebraska has curves? I thought it was a long straight road with a 90 every once in a while. Like Florida, but cold...lol Least that's what it looks like as you fly over at 35K feet..lol.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Nebraska has curves? I thought it was a long straight road with a 90 every once in a while. Like Florida, but cold...lol Least that's what it looks like as you fly over at 35K feet..lol.
Nobody said it has curves........ Been there .......

Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Seriously? A Honda?? I might as well cut my hair and become a lesbian too! No freaking way. I want to enjoy my 100 miles a day and have some fun - otherwise, I might as well become an accountant too.

I apologize to the lesbian accountant that I've just seriously offended.

Isn't wanting it enough justification? Settling is never satisfying. I had a non-s and once I drove the S I knew I could never go back. If you get the "justa" don't ever drive the S or you'll know what you're missing out on.

P.s.
Get a 2005-2006 model S. I hear people have alot of problems with the new engine. Plus, I think the First gen(2002-06) is more of a driver's car as it feels more raw whereas the newer cooper (2007+) is way more refined and bmwish. Not that is a bad thing but going by what you've said, it sounds like the R53 is more for you. It won't feel as muscely down low but god the supercharger makes great noise!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Vic Mackey
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the Honda comment the person a few posts up made. Economic wise it makes perfect sense. I should have done the same thing. Buuuuut I figure if I was going to be trapped in a car for 2 hours a day, it might as well be something I love to be in.

I drive about 90 miles per day and wouldn't want to do it it anything else. Go with the same theory as the bumper sticker says on my 07 Cooper "S"...."life is too short to drive a boring car".

Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Maine Mini S
1st Gear
Why do you need to justify it? Your working......... It's your money...... Just Do It!!! One or two miles per gal (if that!) should not even come into play. I just bought a 2011 S and I'm averaging close to 33 mpg. I've had the car for about 3 weeks and already have almost 2k on it and I love it!
The way I look at it, if you can afford it...... Then get what you want......

Life is just too short

Jerry

Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
To answer a few questions.
Yes, Nebraska has curves, you just gotta know where to go. Our "get through our state" roads are straight. Our fun roads we keep to ourselves.

Ok, guess I was only answering one question.

I need to go buy a car.

One question on the run flats. Do you carry a spare tire with you if you don't have run flats? And do Mini's have donuts? I mean, it's practically a donut already. I guess I've only had one flat in the last 5 or so years, so maybe it's not that big of a concern.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
amberback
5th Gear
To answer a few questions.
Yes, Nebraska has curves, you just gotta know where to go. Our "get through our state" roads are straight. Our fun roads we keep to ourselves.

Ok, guess I was only answering one question.

I need to go buy a car.

One question on the run flats. Do you carry a spare tire with you if you don't have run flats? And do Mini's have donuts? I mean, it's practically a donut already. I guess I've only had one flat in the last 5 or so years, so maybe it's not that big of a concern.
The S does NOT have a spare. The non-S does have a spare.
But you could always buy one and throw it in the boot if you're worried.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Justa's have donuts and regular tires standard, S's do not have a donut and have run flats standard (no room for a spare because of the exhaust).

I did get the Cobalt spare in my sig for long trips. And also a Slime Spair kit.

A lot of NAM peeps got rid of their run flats - they ride like Fred Flintstone's tires and wear out fast. Maybe the ride quality would not be a huge issue with your long flat fast Nebraska roads.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you are only moderately crazy because you are asking for help to justify getting an "S". Absolutely NO justification is required !! NONE, NADA, ZIP. You know you'll get one, then people will really think you're crazy, because you won't be able to wipe the goofy grin off your face. Nuf said.
Best of luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
MiniShini
1st Gear
OK. One final piece of advice. (I hope)
I can get an '08, 6-speed, 25,200 miles for $14999. It's been at the non-mini dealership for about 6 months. I can take it in for a key scan - although I don't have permission from the owning dealership for that yet. Should I buy it or get something newer with fewer miles. I can't really afford $20,000 - or I don't really want to.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
mini on
4th Gear
here's my couple of cents. I would buy new. So if this decision comes down to money I'd buy a more loaded base model and get most of the equipment you'd like to have ex harmon kardon radio. If you get snow in NE I would check out Nokian snow tires. If you decide to go with an S Get rid of the runflats ASAP you can sell them for about as much as a set of new tires. I have an 08 S that I built for 25k and overall I am quite happy with how I built it. We the people on NAM used to talk more on how we built our cars.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Doesn't Mini offer like 1.9 interest now.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
OK. One final piece of advice. (I hope)
I can get an '08, 6-speed, 25,200 miles for $14999. It's been at the non-mini dealership for about 6 months. I can take it in for a key scan - although I don't have permission from the owning dealership for that yet. Should I buy it or get something newer with fewer miles. I can't really afford $20,000 - or I don't really want to.

Your budget is most def in the used arena - but that's a pretty new used MINI. Why not take the whole car to your MINI dealer for a check-out before you buy, not just the fob. But there will be no certified used warranty I assume.

Have you looked at the MINI dealer for used? Who knows, the MINI dealer might have something on the lot and make a better deal on a certified used MINI with warranty....

Certified Used:
http://www.miniofomaha.com/CPOStory

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-21-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
amberback
5th Gear
I agree, if you're going to buy used then try to get one from a MINI dealer. Or if you find one somewhere else, pay to have the MINI dealer look it over first.

Quick Reply: R56 Which version should I get?