R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Observations Needed: Cooper 1st gen versus 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Observations Needed: Cooper 1st gen versus 2nd gen

OK, so I'd like to hear some observations from people who have owned both a 1st and 2nd generation Cooper (not a CooperS).

I am the original owner of a 2006 Cooper with 78K miles and I'm thinking of getting a 2011. I know there have been lots of changes and I am hoping some have been for the better.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from some of you who have crossed the same river.

Thanks to all.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like there're a lot of lurkers but no takers so I'll jump in here.

Maggie was my 06R53 which I ordered to suit, was the only owner and took immense care of her. Until she was stolen back in 09 whilst I was stationed in The Netherlands.

Maggie, Too is my 10R56 JCW which "replaced" Maggie. She was also ordered to suit and we've already driven almost 26k miles in the last 15 months!

My insurance company (USAA rocks!) would've shipped another 06R53 to Europe for me, if I'd found one that I wanted. However, I didn't want to get somebody else's troubles/problems and I would've been hard pressed to find the right car from across the pond. So, I dropped back and punted for the easy answer.

Now, back to the point: Which would I have? Granted a JCW better meets my requirements than an S, however, is an R53 better/worse than an R56?

I would not admit this to anyone outside the MINI family, but I'd take the R53 every time. If USAA could've gotten me an exact replacement of Maggie (new, not used), 06R53 CR/W with the same bells and whistles, I would've done that in an instant.

And that is because the R53 was my first MINI, plain and simple. I do miss the "roar" of the supercharger (abuzavi yelling "Go, go SUPERCHARGER!!" whilst passing cars in the Alps of Switzerland). I liked the R53 center stack set up a WHOLE LOT better than the R56, though that has changed for the 2011s. To be fair, Maggie, Too has a nice burble going on that still puts a silly grin on my face, the build quality seems to have taken quite a hit since my 06R53. Maggie, Too makes me hit the unlock button on the fob several times to get the passenger door and/or boot to unlock. The dealer's replaced the hood scoop at 20k miles and the clutch at 24k, both under warranty, whereas Maggie only failed me when the new Gatorback belt broke after an Alta 15% pulley install (which wasn't covered by warranty) and the slave cylinder went out (which was).

So there ya go. Nothing scientific about it, just MHO. YMMV, FWIW. Regardless, Maggie, Too and I still take the windy backroads whenever the opportunity presents and I am really looking forward to the BRPT this year as I'll be a rookie and doing it end-to-end. Hope to see y'all there!

Cheers!!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Thanks for your take, Poppa Bear.

I am hoping some Cooper to Cooper (non S) folks will share their experiences, too.

Cheers.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an 06 Cooper (MCa) and now have a 10 Cooper (MCa). The main differences to me are very obvious - the transmission is no longer a ticking time bomb, and the interior is more solid and refined.

Aside from that, it does seem to be slightly quicker and does handle slightly better/more tightly. I don't have any other major observations that are any different from anything you'd hear about R56 to R56S (buttons in different places, the sport button rocks, car is "chubbier" overall, etc).

I've come to realize that all the things that I miss about my R50 were things *I* did to it. I just need to do those things to my R56 when I get time/money, and I'd be just as happy.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
We upgraded from an 04 to an 07. We got the 07 because of the six speed, but in general the 2nd gen Coopers are all around better. Not startlingly better but it grows on you after a while. I thought that was a neat trick as we really liked the 04. I think its a worthwhile upgrade.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I've seen many a R53 vs R56 thread since the R56 was introduced. Most end up being locked due to flaming opinions. But to the OP's original question the R50 vs R56 justa, most of those threads never dealt with that issue. Yes, there are some that will always like the looks of the R50 and center stack as pointed out, but in general the justa was a much more significant mechanical improvement with the upgraded engine, 6 speed manual vs 5, or a 6 speed Aisin automatic instead of the prone to break CVT. I'd take a R56 justa anyday over any R50.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
romille
3rd Gear
Just wanted to mention the clutch, if you are a manual driver. The 2011 clutch is new, and much lighter. My only other MINI experience is with our 2010, so I don't know how it compares to an '06. However, the 2010's clutch is quite hard to push compared to the 2011. As a new manual driver I actually like the 2011 clutch, but it did take some getting use to after the 2010. And my husband hates the 2011 clutch; I think it just takes some getting use to. Every time I drive the 2010 and get back in the 2011 I find myself unintentionally smashing the heck out of the clutch at first, so I can only imagine it must be frustrating if you are long accustomed to a heavier clutch.

Oh, and the 2011 S has 181hp compared to the 2010's 172hp... the steering feels subtly better... and the increased tint on the sunroof is a welcomed improvement.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I've owned the vehicles in my signature so I qualify for this thread. I really loved the gokart feeling of my '05 MINI Cooper Hardtop. It always seemed to have good power due to having a 5 speed and not a 6 speed like the Cooper S had due to the higher RPM the engine stayed at during highway speeds. I loved the more UK type styling of the interior, especially the center speedo. The '05 just felt like what I thought a MINI should have felt like-a micro performance vehicle. I only got rid of it and my family car at the time to upgrade to a large MINI(Clubman) due to 16 year old daughter having to get a new car. I didn't want to have 2 cars in addition to her one.

I loved my '08 MINI Cooper Clubman but I thought it became more of a German vehicle, losing the UK feel. It also appeared way bigger inside and way more refined, causing it to lose the gokart feeling. I only got rid of it because I needed a Cooper S so I could play with the Cooper S's up in the high altitudes mountanous areas of Colorado where I do my runs.

Remember, a Cooper trim MINI is still considered a performance vehicle but it is marketed here in the US as the base model. In the UK, there are two trim levels below Cooper-the First and the One. Cooper has and hopefully will always be known as a performance level, just like the classics.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Hmmm...

Did the clutch actually change from 2010 to 2011, or were your two cars just very different (which would also seem strange)?

The clutch and gearbox on the 06 is OK, but far from stellar. I've never owned an automatic transmission and I'm not going to start now. I hope the 2011 is an improvement.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by romille
Just wanted to mention the clutch, if you are a manual driver. The 2011 clutch is new, and much lighter. My only other MINI experience is with our 2010, so I don't know how it compares to an '06. However, the 2010's clutch is quite hard to push compared to the 2011. As a new manual driver I actually like the 2011 clutch, but it did take some getting use to after the 2010. And my husband hates the 2011 clutch; I think it just takes some getting use to. Every time I drive the 2010 and get back in the 2011 I find myself unintentionally smashing the heck out of the clutch at first, so I can only imagine it must be frustrating if you are long accustomed to a heavier clutch.

Oh, and the 2011 S has 181hp compared to the 2010's 172hp... the steering feels subtly better... and the increased tint on the sunroof is a welcomed improvement.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:48 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
Hmmm...

Did the clutch actually change from 2010 to 2011, or were your two cars just very different (which would also seem strange)?

The clutch and gearbox on the 06 is OK, but far from stellar. I've never owned an automatic transmission and I'm not going to start now. I hope the 2011 is an improvement.

Thanks.
It did change a little. Search Motoringfile for specifics. i'd be hard pressed to believe they are that much different in feel.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
romille
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
It did change a little. Search Motoringfile for specifics. i'd be hard pressed to believe they are that much different in feel.
It is actually quite different; enough so that when my husband first drove my car he made me take it to the service dept because he thought something was wrong with it. While there, the service guy said that he had also been quite surprised at the change. But, as I said, I think I like the new clutch much more. It may take a little getting use to for other MINI owners though.