R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 For those with 2011s: have these service dept issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with 2011s: have these service dept issues?

This is the third time I've had to take my 2011 ClubbyS in for service.

Time #1) emissions sensor went bad. I left it for two days, only for them to call for me to come get Clubby because they had to get the part in from Germany (this happened in end of Oct, dealer "couldn't stock 2011 parts yet because BMW was holding on to them to use on the line" ). Took two days to fix it due to "new part design".

Time #2) Got my iPod connector cable replaced. At first, the SA just assumed my iPhone 3GS wasn't compatible. After three explanations that it worked just fine until all of the sudden (no updates either), a tech finally helped me, diagnosed the cable, and replaced it.

Time #3) In that whole connector tizzy, the tech realized my Aux jack was loose. No part in, of course. Took two weeks to get it in. Then, a "10min fix" took 65 minutes (not including a wash). Reason? "2011 models are so different, we had to rip your dash open to replace it, rather than just pulling the socket out. This is the first 2011 we've done this to, so it was a bit tricky". That comment made me . Poor Clubby might have been an experiment...

It seems to me like the dealer a) doesn't stock 2011 parts, at all b) knows very little about the 2011 changes. It seems that there are a lot of minor changes people find unexpectedly, but I would figure a dealer would know.

Anyone else experienced this?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Maybe you should name your MINI Guinea Pig. Hope you don't have any more issues!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like its time for a new dealer. I've had a few issues (I also have a 2010) and have had to have some major work done already (clutch and flywheel replaced at 2K miles) and have not had any experience like yours. I've been to two different dealers for repairs and both have been pretty knowledgeable on the issues I've had.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Not sure where the OP lives, but having two MINI dealers within a reasonable driving distance is the exception to the rule.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Atomick
1st Gear
You've probably had your 2011 longer than I have, but I've had none of those issues that have required a trip to the service department. That said, I have absolutely noticed that the aux in is pretty fiddly; it takes a real shove to ensure the connection is solid, and it doesn't really stay seated when the cable is moved while connecting/disconnecting a device. It feels like just a matter of time before it breaks or needs replacing. Now, if only we had stereo bluetooth for audio streaming and didn't need a cable at all... :-)

Cables, though, do go bad all the time, and the MINI ones are so short that they require seriously sharp curves to even put the device in a cupholder, much less in the cubby at the base of the center column. Considering one from Amazon that's 6" longer...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
NJ: I have a 2011, a bunch of changes were made for the 2011s apparently. The radio got the facelift so I guess I'm kinda not surprised by all of this..

Veggi: I actually have another one about 30min from my house. The one I go to is right next to my work though, and I had a great buying experience so I don't mind going back. The second dealer near my house is more of a pain in the butt to get to, and they tried to screw me while trying to sell me a car, soooo I guess I'd like to follow my morals

Atomick: I've started laying the cable flat and then putting my phone right under the e-brake. It doesn't interfere with the brake and keeps the cable straight. I used to jam it in the cupholder too, that's what made the wire short out and I guess bent the Aux jack. The tech said there's a pouch in the footwell of the passenger seat, on the side of the center console. That's apparently where you're supposed to put it, but the e-brake nook seems to be the most fool proof. I
If you start to get connection issues, such as it taking forever for the IPOD icon to show up or only sound out of one side, time to get a new cable

Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
dealers are the worst
good luck

Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have no problems in mine...knock on wood. the aux jack may not be an issue since i found out that the aux stereo plug is not very thick. got myself some premium stereo plug that is thicker and had no sound issues ever since.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Having worked at a dealer when brand new models and model refreshes are done it does take time for the Service Department to catch up on the changes. Some are pretty major changes in how things are assembled etc.

For example when Dodge refreashed the Ram back in 2006 they had a recall on the vent actuators inside the dash. This would have taken around 2 hours in the old body style but since the dash was all new it took over 7.

This:

To this:

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wahoo, I just got back from the dealer in Charleston (two hours away). A few days ago I had a CEL warning (the little engine in the speedo) and was told that the resulting code shows that the thermostat had gotten stuck a few times. The SA said that they would normally have just replaced it but they had none in stock. They are getting a bunch in in a couple of weeks so I get to go back in three. While there, I asked the parts people if I could buy or order a side sunvisor (tan) from them (for the passenger side) and was told that they had none in stock nor could order one at this time. I seems that there IS a parts shortage of sorts for the 2011's.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change your karma and the next time you go back bring em donuts.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
I'm thinking of at least getting a t-shirt out of the deal! Actually, I don't mind going to Chucktown from time to time AND it is a good excuse to get out and drive the MINI. Now if it starts to become a habit....

Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Holy crap, Pheatton!!! Who would ever want to spend a long drive in something like either of those???!????!?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:48 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Had my 2011 MCS with bluetooth since November 17, 2010.. Zero problems either mechanical or with electronics. No problems at all pairing my IPhone 3GS with car or using it with cable as IPod.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
romille
3rd Gear
I haven't had any of these issues, although I wanted to chime in on the cable. I have sat in the service waiting area a few times for little stuff (stripe install on MCS, 'we owe' washes, etc) and have actually heard a couple people getting cables replaced, although I think they had older cars. So I think the cable thing isn't uncommon, but your loose aux input might have been a factor there.

I know my cable's mini jack was constantly coming loose when I was plugging my phone in at first. This makes me think that a) the jack is too loose fitting or b) that cable gets flexed a lot more than you would expect. But now I just have an old iPod Nano tucked in the net with a Sirius channel guide to hide it, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

And yes, it seems a lot of dealers don't really know jack about the 2011's yet... this is based on reading other posts and hearing people at the local dealership say ignorant things. You would think they would train people when things change like this, but then maybe we hold our expectations too high because we love our MINIs so much.