R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Noob alert - throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
revo87
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob alert - throttle response

Hey guys,

Just a quick (and not so smart) question... So, I noticed something in my Mini One that I just can't wrap my head around. Picture this: going downhill, doing about 20mph, clutch disengaged and second gear in, try to rev the engine and it won't rev... I mean, it just won't! I put my foot to the floor, and it doesn't budge! Same thing if I just had it in neutral. Does that happen to you guys, or was I the only one trying it?

It happens more often when I have to use it in heavy (ish) traffic.

Idk... Any thoughts?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That sounds very strange. We don't have MINI One's in the USA but I would think it should be no different than any other car if the same test were performed.

Although I just thought of something. Some european countries have a system where the engine can shut down when at a stop and as soon as you press the accelerator the engine starts back up. Maybe if you have that engine shut down system and it knows you are on a down hill decent that it will not let the engine rev. Just a thought.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM
revo87
Neutral
Thanks schatzy62

The One has pretty much the same engine as the cooper, only difference is that stroke is shorter, making it a 1.4 liter engine, instead of a 1.6 Looses quite a bit of power in the process too, but hey, better mpg xD

About the stop-start system, mine has it, but it's been switched off since pretty much it's second week (never cared much for that to be honest...), so i don't think it should be messing with the throttle response, right?

I don't know dealer came to me with the ''nothing on the obd, must be bad petrol'' excuse...

Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 AM
revo87
Neutral
Hey guys. Just got my lil R56 from the dealer, and finally I think my baby is back =D Did the service (a couple of months before it was actually due, but never mind...) so the oil and oil filter were changed and did a software upgrade...That helped a lot, got more low down grunt (well, as much as one could expect for a 75bhp car), no hesitation, smoother idle... Another thing I did the moment I got it back was patching an electrical cable that runs right next to the exhaust. From being so close to the pipes, the plastic cable wrap started to melt, but the cables inside weren't damaged... Has that happened to anyone else? Anyways, to prevent something more serious from happening, I wrapped the burnt bit in electrical tape, and then on aluminum foil (the one that is used on the chimneys and such)... Not pretty, but at least it ain't burning... Waiting to get a bit of that self adhesive exhaust wrap to make it look good =) Hope it helps someone...