R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 gap between front pillar and roof line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gap between front pillar and roof line?

Hi all

I was detailing my MINI yesterday when I noticed something I don't recall seeing before. On the passenger side front pillar of the windshield, where the pillar meets the roofline, there is a small gap between the pillar and the roofline. It is large enough that I can see the top line of the pillar, but it is small enough that I can not even get my fingertip in the space. The space is only about as wide as the tip of a house key. It almost looks like the pillar slid down from the roof line, but I tried pushing upward on the pillar and it seems to be snugly in place. I suppose it could have been there since I bought the car in May of 2010, but I would think I would have seen it before since I give her a bath and detail her every week! Does anyone think I should be concerned about this? Am I worried about nothing? I have driven my MINI in the rain plenty of times and have seen no leaking, but again, it still seems odd that I never noticed this before.

I tried to take a picture, but since the pillar and roof line are black, and it is hard to see much of anything.

thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
not good . . . nobody else has this issue except me!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM
AkFarina
Banned
Picture?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 AM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
I always cruise the "New Posts" so I didn't see this until now. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. There is a gap between the top part of the A pillar and the rubber strip on the roof of the car. I noticed there was a gap sometime last year and I went to the other side of the car and it's the exact same. So is this normal....well if my car is counted as normal then yes.

I think the gap is there because the water escapes from the hole in the guttering through that gap.

BTW If you take a toothpick you can clear the crud out of the holes on the guttering/rubber stripping. Same with the cowl holes. I did that because water was pooling on the outside cowl under the wipers.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
Picture?

sorry, but as I mentioned in my first post, I tried taking a picture, but nothing showed up . . . all the black on black, combined with my iPhone crappy resolution makes for a terrible photo.

MisterClean: thanks for responding. I will take a look to see if water drains from that spot when I wash her today.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
MisterClean: I suppose it does seem as though the area is made like that for drainage. I was watching water run out as I rinsed off soap during bath time. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
I also have this issue. Mine is because the top two A-Pillar studs are broken. If you open the door and push the rubber gasket under the A-Pillar towards the car you can see the screws attaching the A-Pillar. I wasn't able to tell they were broken until I tried to take the A-Pillar off and the studs came along with the screws instead of staying with the A-Pillar. My issue started when I had the windshield replaced. The people who replaced the windshield also replace the first A-Pillar cover, but it has broken again

Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Hahaha, I was in the same situation. I was detailing mine this past weekend and I stumbled upon the "gap" between the pillar and roofline too. I even went as far as doing what you did and pushing up on the pillar, but did notice as well that it is snuggly in place. I don't think you have anything to worry about

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
thanks Eddyboi77! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I have been watching that area very closely on my MINI, and I have not detected any water intrusion. So I am guessing everything is as it should be. Whew!

COKen: sorry to hear about the A-pillar/stud issue. Hopefully you can get that fixed.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM
superfly
2nd Gear
my girlfriends 11 MCS has the same problem but only on the driver side

Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
WTF is it with that? Is it because of someone messing up at the factory? Something else? I cannot imagine why some of our MINIs have the problem, and some don't . . .