R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Premium package...yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
Best thing about real leather is it cleans up so easy. One of our first drives in the MINI I get out at a mountain pass and there is a melted chocolate blob I had been sitting on. Got a cloth wet with plain water and it wiped right off. Try that on cloth seats.
I have yet to get anything on any of my cloth seats that didn't clean up good as new. I'd rather be comfortable for the rest of the time (99%) I am sitting on them.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
crvols
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't remember seeing any cloth seats when i bought my 2010 a year ago but, did get the Premium Package II which was the sunroof and auto air but, no HK radio fpr $1,250.

I live in Nashville, so we get hot weather for 8 months of the year and have had no problems with either my stock seats or sunroof. I did have all the windows and sunroof tinted (30% on side and back, 70% on roof and windshield). The 70% lets 70% of the light though but blocks 60% of the heat producing rays and keeps the interior cool. I like the way the sunroof brightens up the interior even with the perforated shades pulled.

As to the auto-air, I am used to "set it and forget it" in my other cars so: I would not have a Mini without the Premium Package. I also think i will recoup the cost of the package at resale time.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:58 PM
nykwan
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yetti96
You don't need to buy the package you can add auto air for 500 and the HK separately and still save 750 I think by not getting the sunroof. This is how I configure mine when I build them online.
Actually, you'd only save $500. I only ordered the HK and auto AC at first. And then added the sunroof a few days later to my order, and it was only $500 more. One of the other two is $750 when ordered alone.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that there is still a free package in May when car is supposed to come in.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nykwan
Actually, you'd only save $500. I only ordered the HK and auto AC at first. And then added the sunroof a few days later to my order, and it was only $500 more. One of the other two is $750 when ordered alone.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that there is still a free package in May when car is supposed to come in.

You are right, the HK is $750, Auto AC is $500, and Sunroof is $1000 alone. But IMO I still wouldn't pay $500 for the sunroof, it lessens headroom and adds heat; yes I tinted mine but that is an added cost to eliminate the added cost I didn't want. I would gladly trade the sunroof for HK.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow thanks everyone for the replies! For some reason I didnt get any notifications for this thread.

Its so crazy how things add up when configuring the car, no matter what I do I cant keep it under 27k! Some things are surprisingly cheap and some are strangely expensive. $500 for black paint? $750 for the HK is a bit much...an arm rest and DSC cost the same lol

I might be willing to give up the xenon headlights...so far I got HK, arm rests, black paint, and JCW package...for a few hundred more I might as well get the premium package like I originally wanted for $28k.

Decisions....

Also someone mentioned the free package until the end of march which I thought was awesome but the manager at the MINI dealership (which I used to work at) told me that only works with a different lease that ends up being more expensive for some reason?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I agree that $500 is a bit much for black paint. That was one of the reasons my '06 was Pepper White since it was one of the "free" colors. $750 for the H/K, however, is a great deal. To get similar sound and ease of use aftermarket would easily be double that(I checked). So I went for it on my '11. I had it on my '06 since I wanted the premium stuff anyway, but when I ordered my '11 I decided to be more selective and research if I could do any of what I wanted cheaper later on. The sound system was a no go. I was very used to the steering wheel controls in my '06 and to find an aftermarket that worked with those was ridiculous price-wise.

If you are financing and are only off by $1000 total, then figure out what that thousand extra will be spread out over the loan or lease. I'm betting it's pretty minimal.
Also, resale on a JCW without Xenons might be problematic.
I ended up about $1500 over what my initial budget was, now that I have the car I'm glad I got those few extras. I'm totally enjoying them.
Annette

Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Noooo, don't get rid of the xenons! You'll never go back to halogens after a night drive with the MINI xenons, and wonder how you lived all these years without them.

The H/K is a huge improvement over stock. Do get it.

I finally bit the bullet and went over my initial budget and got every option I wanted. I enjoy them all, and every time I do, I remember how happy I was that I did spring for it, even if it was another $17/month per $1000 (on the 0.9% for 60 months, it's roughly that) - and I went about $2.5K over.

Ah I see while I was typing this, BoCRon went ahead and said more or less everything I wanted to.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joyride305

Also someone mentioned the free package until the end of march which I thought was awesome but the manager at the MINI dealership (which I used to work at) told me that only works with a different lease that ends up being more expensive for some reason?
You can only get the option credit on a purchase - not a lease. MINI Select qualifies as purchase but it'll cost you more in interest.

You have to take delivery in March for it though. An order would not get here in time.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
don't give up xenons - it's one of the best options. if budget is your concern, you can do without the armrest - over rated. the mini interior is not that big to warrant an armrest. beside the armrest is small compare to normal ones.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok I see xenons are important lol. Ive never seen the mini at night so I dont know how they look. Some projectors are weak thats the only thing I was concerned about.

It really is a VERY slippery slope. For another few thousand I can just get the JCW with HK and projectors and be done with it

I'm having trouble drawing the line I guess lol

Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
MINI11
3rd Gear
I really like the HK stereo, its probably one of the best factory units I've ever heard. I also really like my sunroof, but I did pay the dealer $150 to put limo tint on it. The combination of that and the factory shade seems to allow very little heat transfer from what I've experienced so far. I don't live in a hot climate though, 80-85 degrees way up here at 7000' is considered "hot".

As for the seats, I wanted cloth, but the available S models on the lot with auto were limited, so I ended up with leatherette. Not my first choice, but also not a deal killer. The car was dead-on otherwise as for the options I wanted, and it was still totally wrapped up and unmolested.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No packages here and I don't regret a minute of it. They would have been a waste of money for me.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Melangell
No packages here and I don't regret a minute of it. They would have been a waste of money for me.
I think that's what I love about my MINI most. It's so customizable that I truly feel like its my car (even if there are a zillion of em where I live). I went the opposite as Melangell and got the prem, cold wthr, sport and convenience package. I wouldn't change it and love the setup. The decisions seem so difficult but in the end, you'll love what you get no matter what options it has.

I'll agree on the xenons. They are significantly better than many of the japanese cars with xenons (where there is not much of a projector, but more of a modified halogen setup with a xenon bulb). The light pattern has great definition with a very sharp cutoff. Great for driving at night and a safety feature if nothing else.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 AM
crvols
2nd Gear
[quote=joyride305;3245298]Ok I see xenons are important lol. Ive never seen the mini at night so I dont know how they look. Some projectors are weak thats the only thing I was concerned about.

You are right about the OEM lights, they are not great so, for $50 I bought a set of Phillips Extreems and installed them myself......problem solved. I live off of 4 miles of a twisting country road and they do a great job without the sharp cutoff of Xeons and, much cheaper!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
You are right, the HK is $750, Auto AC is $500, and Sunroof is $1000 alone. But IMO I still wouldn't pay $500 for the sunroof, it lessens headroom and adds heat; yes I tinted mine but that is an added cost to eliminate the added cost I didn't want. I would gladly trade the sunroof for HK.
Your thinking was the same as mine.

Just ordered this week and got the HK audio and auto A/C, but had no interest in paying another $500 for the sunroof.

No premium package for me.

Now, if I was positive that by the time my car was delivered they'd still have the free premium package I'd have done it...but mostly to get the HK audio and auto A/C for free.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:59 PM
peichor
1st Gear
I say yes! My 2010 had premium, and my 2011 does too. I love the H/K sound and the auto air. The sunroof is great in the spring and fall, but summer can be a bit uncomfortable. Solution, tint that sucker, I put 5% on my sunroof and now no complaints. Never had any rattle from them in ether one.