R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Premium package...yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Premium package...yes/no?

It seems that people either love or hate it, especially the sunroof. I live in miami and it gets hot but I feel like if I tint the sunroof a bit and keep the shade closed it shouldn't be that big a deal, and maybe the fixed the leaking and other problems for the 2011's? Also not sure about the HK sound system. If only one out of three of the premium package options is worth it then I'll probably just get one since I don't really need auto A/C.

Also I really wanted to try the leatherette seats since I've always had cloth and wanted to try something different but is it that bad?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Premium package: Most Def.

The auto A/C is handly on long trips in the Summer to keep cabin temps constant.
H/K sound is great.
Sunroof is fun!

Leatherette: No.

Real Leather or Cloth your choice: Most Def.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 03-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joyride305
It seems that people either love or hate it, especially the sunroof. I live in miami and it gets hot but I feel like if I tint the sunroof a bit and keep the shade closed it shouldn't be that big a deal, and maybe the fixed the leaking and other problems for the 2011's? Also not sure about the HK sound system. If only one out of three of the premium package options is worth it then I'll probably just get one since I don't really need auto A/C.

Also I really wanted to try the leatherette seats since I've always had cloth and wanted to try something different but is it that bad?

Thanks!
Had leatherette on my first MINI and regretted it. Living in a hot and humid climate like South Texas, I wouldn't own any type of vinyl or leather for a daily driver. I suspect Florida is even more humid. I'd recommend the cloth seats myself.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to get the cloth seats in mine since in Richmond VA it gets pretty humid in the summer. Alas mine came with Leatherette...

Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Leatherette Yes+

Sunroof On a 70-80 degree day, even if you only get a few of those a year, totally yes.

H-K Totally YES !!!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
djDK
1st Gear
hahah i like how Tccox is totally the opposite of everyone

Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
djDK
1st Gear
i think the worse feature of any care ever invented is the "AUTO AC" wtf is that ****? i still dont get it.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by djDK
hahah i like how Tccox is totally the opposite of everyone
I'm old, mean and cranky as hell. What else could you expect ?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I got Leatherette, 'cause it sounds fancier than just plain ol' leather!

No regrets!

Dave

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
HK STEREO a Big YESS!!!!

I have not owned any $30k+ luxury autos to compare it to, but the HK system linked to my IPOD is one of my favorite features of the car. I have a huge 12" sub in our home theater surround system, so I am pretty spoiled in the audio department. I will say that I really find the HK system more than ample for me at 38 years old.

I like my Sunroof and I had it tinted at 5% Tint for here in NC.

+1 for Leatherette seats. They feel great, but I may add a neoprene seat cover for the summer. Both for protecting the seats from my sweat, and because the black and red Neoprene seat covers I found have a "racing" style to them that looks cool.

Also love the blue tooth phone option.

Larry

Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This month is especially good to get the premium package with the $1575 option credit. It's a no brainer if you are getting a stick shift. If you need auto, well you could get the auto credit instead ($1125)

Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Premium Yes

I've had leatherette and leather -- get the leather

Never had a leak or rattle in the sunroof in two MINIs in over 160,000 miles combined

Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
NoHoR56
2nd Gear
I've owned 4 BMWs and, now, a Mini S. I think the Premium option is not worth the money in a performance oriented car. Have never gotten it. Also - my BMWs all had leather and my Mini has leatherette and I'm completely fine with it. Historically I would have advised getting sports package and thinner tires but with roads getting worse and worse - and with run flats - I don't advise it. In So Cal I've got through countless performance tires on fairly minor pot holes. Just not worth it. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tccox
Sunroof On a 70-80 degree day, even if you only get a few of those a year, totally yes.

My range is more like 45 - infinity and beyond. Probably even opened it on some days below 45. Mine has been fine - no rattles, leaks, etc.

I prefer my Leatherette to the real leather in my wife's vehicle.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:33 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
HK Stereo is a must.

Sunroof is great, I personally love mine, especially in 50-70 degree weather. Heck, even in 80 if I'm moving. Tilting it just for fresh air at any time of the year is great too. I have an '11 and don't hear any rattles and it doesn't leak, even when I'm flying down the road in rain with it tilted.

The leatherette gets gross anytime it's even slightly warm out. The look of the cloth is really nice too. If you live anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line, you're asking for trouble by getting leatherette or a dark colored leather, but that's my opinion. Maybe get the leather/cloth option if you're really stuck on getting at least some leather?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The HK stereo is worth it alone. I like the sunroof, but that's just personal preference. I feel like it opens up the cabin and gives you a bigger feel inside. Auto AC came with the package, so that was that.

I can't stand the leatherete. Not fun in humid climates. Doesn't breathe at all, so you get stuck with hot, sticky seats in the hotter months. I also didn't like the checker pattern of the cloth, so leather it was.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
I don't think the HK is a personal preference, I think it is an absolute must. The stock is horrid. I hate my leatherette seats, would much rather have cloth. If you're an old coot like me with a bald spot on the back of your head, you will find the sunroof most annoying on sunny days, even with the screen. I keep a hat in the car at all times.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
H/K yes, have had it on all 3 MINIs.
Seats, cloth is my fave.
Auto A/C on the '11 is vastly improved, I didn't really want it but it came with premium so I got it and am now glad I did.
Sunroof, I have had that on all 3, too. I just like opening the sunroof on nice days, I will have a full graphic on my '11 so won't be able to see out of it, which will also make it cooler.
Annette

Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You don't need to buy the package you can add auto air for 500 and the HK separately and still save 750 I think by not getting the sunroof. This is how I configure mine when I build them online.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
You don't need to buy the package you can add auto air for 500 and the HK separately and still save 750 I think by not getting the sunroof. This is how I configure mine when I build them online.
True, that.

Annette

Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's what I should have done. Ordered without the sunroof. What a complete waste. The inside of the car gets HOT! Even with a Zippy shade installed. The stock screen is a joke. Why bother? Other than when you sell the car, most everybody expects it.

Ok, rant off.

I really like the cloth seats. Cool in summer, not cold in winter. FREE... I bet they will wear better than the other materials too. (I still wish that back when I ordered my M3 I had gone with the Alcantara/cloth seats. (yet another no cost option)) Sorry but leather sucks.

Do yourself a favor, go listen to a stock radio and then the HK. If you can't tell the difference, well, you're deaf and it doesn't matter what you get...

Auto AC is just fine. I don't think I've touched other than for defrost, since I've gotten it. Truly set and forget.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Malice Cooper
I don't think the HK is a personal preference, I think it is an absolute must. The stock is horrid. I hate my leatherette seats, would much rather have cloth. If you're an old coot like me with a bald spot on the back of your head, you will find the sunroof most annoying on sunny days, even with the screen. I keep a hat in the car at all times.
I resemble that remark!!! Yes - the sunroof can be annoying IMO - if it had an opaque inner cover for when you don't want the sun it would be fine IMO. Ditto the stereo - pretty darn good for a factory install. I have the cloth and wish I had the leather, but the cloth is perfectly acceptable to me because the car had everything else I wanted and I got a great deal on my 07 MCS when I purchased it new.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
I bought my 2010 off the lot, and while it had the Premium Package, it didn't have the HK stereo. Seems they were out of those when my car was built or something, so the dealer discounted the Package.

That said, I'm fine with the Auto AC, sunroof, etc. To each his own! Then again, I haven't had any problems with anything yet.

Spridget

Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm on my 2nd MINI.

I would never get the sunroof again. I loved the way it looked when both panes of glass were cracked open. But, I had way too many problems with it and it adds a lot of unwanted weight to the car.

I had leatherette seats, now I have cloth seats. Cloth seats are much nicer. They don't get as hot, they're easier to clean, and to me, they're a lot more comfortable.

The HK stereo is a must, unless you're planning on going for an aftermarket system. The basic MINI system is a joke.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best thing about real leather is it cleans up so easy. One of our first drives in the MINI I get out at a mountain pass and there is a melted chocolate blob I had been sitting on. Got a cloth wet with plain water and it wiped right off. Try that on cloth seats.

Used to like the velor seats of the '80's too, so I ordered cloth on my 2008 GMC which is much like mico-fiber. OMG what a lint magnet, I had to wipe the lint into a pile with a rubber glove on my hand or it would not vacuum off. GM even had replacement material you could get on warranty, but I heard it was not much better. So I got Katzkin leather for the truck in 2 tone red and black with perforated inserts and custom embroidery. So much nicer and easy to clean. Price very reasonable too.

Quick Reply: R56 Premium package...yes/no?