R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 OBD II Port Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBD II Port Location

I tried to search (here and Google), but do not see a good picture of the OBD II port on a r56.

I have my 2011 on order, so I don't have the car yet. However, I wanted to plug my Garmin EcoRoute HD in and wanted to get an idea of what this would look like.

So does anyone have a nice close up of the OBD II port? Maybe even one with the EcoRoute HD plugged in?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 AM
perro
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's impossible not to find it..

It's right above the foot rest under the dash...

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the same place as every other car made since 1996. Under the drivers side knee bloster.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Maybe I should rephrase my question: I know where the OBD port is. But as I understand it, the r56's port is under a little flap.

I'm just curious as to what it looks like with something like a scan gauge tool plugged in.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not mine. Just sitting right there in the underpanel.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Not mine. Just sitting right there in the underpanel.
Can you get a pic of it?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not so much a flap as it is a connector cover. I'll see if I can get a picture later, my camera phone doesn't have a flash and it's too dark under the dash to make anything out.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r56trbo
It's not so much a flap as it is a connector cover. I'll see if I can get a picture later, my camera phone doesn't have a flash and it's too dark under the dash to make anything out.
Thanks! Do you think if something is plugged in that the cover will hang down in view? I just want this EcoRoute HD to be a stealthy install. Otherwise, I might have to order and extension cable.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Waste of time relative to a 2011...

Cover to OBD port was deleted in 2010. Older ones will be different. See relevant model change TSB. It's just an exposed under dash plug in the mandated location.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theunclesam
Thanks! Do you think if something is plugged in that the cover will hang down in view? I just want this EcoRoute HD to be a stealthy install. Otherwise, I might have to order and extension cable.
Have you seen the size of an OBD plug? "Stealthy" is not the word I would use to describe what an OBD cable looks like... If you're thinking that a connector cover being in view is a problem, then you might want to look into other options.

However, if you can find a right-angle extension, that might make it considerably lower-profile...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r56trbo
Have you seen the size of an OBD plug? "Stealthy" is not the word I would use to describe what an OBD cable looks like... If you're thinking that a connector cover being in view is a problem, then you might want to look into other options.

However, if you can find a right-angle extension, that might make it considerably lower-profile...
Oh I know how big that plug is. I just know on some cars it's a little more up behind the dash than others.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 AM
tojofi
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theunclesam
I have an ecoroute HD plugged into my '10 MCS and you can't see it at all (& there was no cover on the OBD II port). I did not use an extension cord, I just plugged it in & then tucked the ecoroute up into the lower dash area using existing wiring to hold it in place.

The unit ships with double-sided tape and zip-ties, but I've found that you can easily just tuck it in and it will stay in place (even on our northern spring roads!) This also makes it really easy to remove should you need to take the car to the dealer.

You don't want to bury the unit too far into the dash as there is a 'reset' button on the unit for resetting the bluetooth. I've not had to use this but I'd not want to rip apart my dash just to reset the unit if I needed to.

I highly recommend the ecoroute HD if you already have a compatible Garmin unit. If you don't, you might want to look into the Scanguage II instead... all depends what you are looking for I guess.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tojofi
I have an ecoroute HD plugged into my '10 MCS and you can't see it at all (& there was no cover on the OBD II port). I did not use an extension cord, I just plugged it in & then tucked the ecoroute up into the lower dash area using existing wiring to hold it in place.

The unit ships with double-sided tape and zip-ties, but I've found that you can easily just tuck it in and it will stay in place (even on our northern spring roads!) This also makes it really easy to remove should you need to take the car to the dealer.

You don't want to bury the unit too far into the dash as there is a 'reset' button on the unit for resetting the bluetooth. I've not had to use this but I'd not want to rip apart my dash just to reset the unit if I needed to.

I highly recommend the ecoroute HD if you already have a compatible Garmin unit. If you don't, you might want to look into the Scanguage II instead... all depends what you are looking for I guess.
Great to hear! I have the Garmin 1490 with the EcoRoute. Been using it on my current car (Scion tC) for a few months now. Can't wait to give it a go on the MINI

Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Bluetooth ODB sender and I use Torque on my Android phone to read info. But the Bluetooth dongle plugs straight into the ODB plug and I keep hitting it with my left foot. Anyone knwo an angle adapter I could put between the 2? Or a flexible or wire extension?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MyroMini
I have the Bluetooth ODB sender and I use Torque on my Android phone to read info. But the Bluetooth dongle plugs straight into the ODB plug and I keep hitting it with my left foot. Anyone knwo an angle adapter I could put between the 2? Or a flexible or wire extension?
There's OBD extension cables out there. Try an Amazon search (Or whatever Canada has )

Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If anyone is searching for the extension cable, here it is: (they have 2ft or 6ft versions)

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...1962f-6ft.html

Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
VColi
2nd Gear
Where is the [FONT=Times New Roman]OBD-II data port located[/FONT] for the Countryman?

Vince

Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Read the thread, Vince. You'll see this post in it:

Originally Posted by richardsperry
It's the same place as every other car made since 1996. Under the drivers side knee bloster.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Pez D. Spencer
3rd Gear
I had the Scangauge, the display was so dim I could only see it at night. Got the Ecoroute, love it. I could not get the Ecoroute to stay anywhere I put it, after a few miles it was hanging by my left knee. Solution for me was to first wash, twice, the bottom of the dashboard right by the OBDII with rubbing alcohol. Then I used Scotch mounting tape and mounted it there. It has not come loose since. It is not in the slightest in the way there, and you will only see it if your looking for it. Kind of looks like it belongs there.