R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Comfort Access and key

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comfort Access and key

Anyone know if it's bad to leave key fob in the car when parked?
I keep the Minis in a locked garage and like to just drop the the "key" down in the cup holder so next time I just hop in and the key is right there. Nothing in Mini manual.

With that said my last Nissan had the same type system and the manual did say not to leave it in car as it was harmful to the cars ignition and drains fob battery. The proximity deal I guess.
Tanks-o-lot

Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been leaving the key in the cupholder for over 2 years now. No issues.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:53 AM
claud
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Been leaving the key in the cupholder for over 2 years now. No issues.
BUT does your JCW have comfort access? I got it, but would never leave a key in a car----even in my own garrage---in a very nice neighborhood with a security system.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
I do indeed have comfort access. That is why I replied. I leave the keys in both of my cars in my garage in a nice neighborhood with a security system. Maybe I am lazy?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Glad to hear this. I leave everything in my car, but have been bringing in the key to the new MCS since I got it. I'll go back to leaving it in the car in the garage now. I live on 12 acres and have a 1200 foot long driveway, and we currently have 8 German Shepherds in various stages of K9 training, so anyone who can get close to my car when it's in the garage is going to have to work at it .
Annette

Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For all those that do leave their fob in the car great news that you have a locked garage or safe place for it.

But if you do not have such a place to leave it leaving teh FOB in the car is the worse thing you can do.

Of note to many of you With Comfort Access you are not supposed to be able to lock the car with the fob inside. This has been proven on 07 thru 10 models where a fob is left in the car and the door button pressed and the car locks and immediately unlocks. Not sure if anyone has tried it on a 2011 but it is probably the same.

So to the OP yes you can leave the FOB in the car but it may drain the battery prematurely. As the Comfort Access FOBs have replaceable batteries if it does drain it there really is no danger just that you may need to replace the battery sooner.

I have had my fobs since April 2008 (almost 3 years now) and have never had to replace the battery. But then I never leave the fob in the car either.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 AM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Thanks all, I feel comfortable leaving fob in car now. If 2 years and no problem that's good enough for me. Plus no mention in owners manual.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
There are times that I do not drive my car for a week. I have no issues period.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Of note to many of you With Comfort Access you are not supposed to be able to lock the car with the fob inside. This has been proven on 07 thru 10 models where a fob is left in the car and the door button pressed and the car locks and immediately unlocks. Not sure if anyone has tried it on a 2011 but it is probably the same.
With my 07 with comfort access, if you lock the car with the metal key from the fob and leave the fob inside, it will lock; and not unlock using the buttons on the door handles. Also it seems to power down like normal once it is locked.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 04-01-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
TITANIUMJOE
Neutral
Comfort Access UPGRADE ?

I recently bought a 2009 Mini Cooper S and I was disappointed to see that my doors do not unlock for me and my car only starts with the thingy in the dash. So how can I get the comfort access upgrade? Is it easy to install and how much $$$ am I looking at?

I don't live near an actual Mini Dealer.

Joe

Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TITANIUMJOE
I recently bought a 2009 Mini Cooper S and I was disappointed to see that my doors do not unlock for me and my car only starts with the thingy in the dash. So how can I get the comfort access upgrade? Is it easy to install and how much $$$ am I looking at?

I don't live near an actual Mini Dealer.

Joe
Comfort Access is a $500.00 factory option. From what others have said before. It's not possible / feasible to add later.

Each door has has a little lock/unlock button on the exterior door handle.
(The doors do not lock/unlock without pushing a button - either the CA button on the door handle or FOB button).
There are radio receivers modules in the car. One around the rear view mirror area and my Clubman has one under the rear bumper. Maybe others elsewhere?
I believe the ignition switch cradle is different?
The FOBs themselves are different and very expensive.
Then there is programming the computer system.
Don't know if other associated wiring and connectors are present for all the CA electrical parts?

Last edited by klricks; 04-06-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
TITANIUMJOE
Neutral
too bad...I would have loved the comfort access option. Is it possible my car has the option and it isn't turned on or I don't have it programmed or just don't know how to use it? Is there a way to know for sure by the look of the key or something? I bought my mini from a non-mini dealer, so they were in the dark about what options my car actually had and now so am I. It was advertised as having the premium package. I thought the comfort access was part of that package. I also thought the 10 speaker sound system was part of that package. Now I'm thinking the car dealership just used the word premium, not knowing that is was actually a specific mini package. Any suggestions on how I can be sure if my mini has the comfort package without driving to a mini dealer?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Comfort Access is the thing I missed most when I traded in my 2008 for a super deal on a 2010. I was so excited about the deal that I didn't realize I didn't have CA or auto wipers until I got the car home. Dope.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TITANIUMJOE
too bad...I would have loved the comfort access option. Is it possible my car has the option and it isn't turned on or I don't have it programmed or just don't know how to use it? Is there a way to know for sure by the look of the key or something? I bought my mini from a non-mini dealer, so they were in the dark about what options my car actually had and now so am I. It was advertised as having the premium package. I thought the comfort access was part of that package. I also thought the 10 speaker sound system was part of that package. Now I'm thinking the car dealership just used the word premium, not knowing that is was actually a specific mini package. Any suggestions on how I can be sure if my mini has the comfort package without driving to a mini dealer?
The easiest way is to look for the little black button on each door handle. (Thumb position when holding the handle).
Also the CA key FOB has a pop off cover on the back for replacing the battery.
(The non CA FOB has non replaceable rechargeable battery that is charged by putting the key in the ignition slot).

There is a guy on the forum who works for a dealer and will run your VIN to see what options your MINI has.
Edit Look here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-car-has.html

Last edited by klricks; 04-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Also another interesting tidbit/misconception. Placing the key in the dash holder doesn't charge or in any way connect to the key to the car. It is just there for convince/aesthetics.

I also have been leaving mine in my car for about 3 years and still haven't had to change the battery.

One caveat: I get so used to it being in the car that when I do forget and bring in my pockets I almost always forget it next time and must run back upstairs to retrieve it.

Interesting anecdote: Once I left it on the A-pillier (outside the car) and it started. I drove 5 miles to work. Went into a panic not able to find it. Got out the car and it was right where I left it. I guess being that close to the interior "fooled" it into starting.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:53 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
Also another interesting tidbit/misconception. Placing the key in the dash holder doesn't charge or in any way connect to the key to the car. It is just there for convince/aesthetics.....
The ignition does turn on when the CA key FOB is put in...
I thought the CA key FOB had to be in the slot in order to program it with the OBC settings?.... Also I was told by dealer to put the key FOB in the slot on the way to the dealer so the maintenance data would be transferred to the key FOB, otherwise no data is transferred.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
accce
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gr8ful
I keep the Minis in a locked garage and like to just drop the the "key" down in the cup holder so next time I just hop in and the key is right there. Nothing in Mini manual.

With that said my last Nissan had the same type system and the manual did say not to leave it in car as it was harmful to the cars ignition and drains fob battery. The proximity deal I guess.
Tanks-o-lot

Where do you live?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Also another interesting tidbit/misconception. Placing the key in the dash holder doesn't charge or in any way connect to the key to the car. It is just there for convince/aesthetics.
WRONG

1. CA cars - the fob has to be in the slot to properly program the key for things like personal radio stations, blinker blinks etc. - But yes the CA fob "Does Not" have a rechargable battery. It also needs to be in the slot to get the latest mileage and run data for the car so that the dealer can scan it for a service appointment.

2. Non CA cars the fob has to be put in the slot for the car to work.

I also have been leaving mine in my car for about 3 years and still haven't had to change the battery.

One caveat: I get so used to it being in the car that when I do forget and bring in my pockets I almost always forget it next time and must run back upstairs to retrieve it.
well that kinda sucks And i do it two sometimes so you are not the only one.

Interesting anecdote: Once I left it on the A-pillier (outside the car) and it started. I drove 5 miles to work. Went into a panic not able to find it. Got out the car and it was right where I left it. I guess being that close to the interior "fooled" it into starting.
Yes if the fob is close enough to the central RFID pick up then it will allow the car to start and drive off. If the key had foallen off you would have been notified that the fob had gone missing by a key with a line thru it on the tach display.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by klricks
Comfort Access is a $500.00 factory option. From what others have said before. It's not possible / feasible to add later.

Each door has has a little lock/unlock button on the exterior door handle.
(The doors do not lock/unlock without pushing a button - either the CA button on the door handle or FOB button).
There are radio receivers modules in the car. One around the rear view mirror area and my Clubman has one under the rear bumper. Maybe others elsewhere?
there are also sensors in the B pillars and the center console
I believe the ignition switch cradle is different?
yes they are
The FOBs themselves are different and very expensive.
yes $285 or more
Then there is programming the computer system.
Don't know if other associated wiring and connectors are present for all the CA electrical parts?
Yes there is other wiring that is not in the car if CA was not ordered from the factory. Basically the whole interior would have to come out and a new main harness put in.
And programing would have to be done after all the proper hardware was installed.

Can it be added to a Non CA car - simple answer yes but the cost would be out way to much. it would be much cheaper to seel the car and by one with it from the factory.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
One more caveat: IF the battery in the CA fob goes out (let's say you get the thing soaking wet) AND the car is locked you can use the little key thingy and open your door manually and then put the fob in the slot and start the car without the battery in the fob.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
kimbowill
Neutral
Originally Posted by gr8ful

Tanks-o-lot
Does anyone know if you have Comfort Access, you can buy a second key that is not Comfort Access to save some cash? We lost our second key and the dealer wants $450 YIKES!
If you know of any online dealers that are good please post the link too. Thanks all.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
hoyme
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kimbowill
Does anyone know if you have Comfort Access, you can buy a second key that is not Comfort Access to save some cash? We lost our second key and the dealer wants $450 YIKES!
If you know of any online dealers that are good please post the link too. Thanks all.
Don't know the answer specifically (my MINI with Comfort Access is about to be built). But these keys need to be programmed to the car -- there is a security code in the key that has to be paired-up with the car's electronics so only that key works with that car. So, while you might be able to find one on line (haven't looked) you need to take it to someone who can do the pairing - like a dealer.

The $450 is probably the key and the labor to do the programming - still high, I agree, but you can't compare it apples-to-apples to just buying the key.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kimbowill
The dealers transport co. lost one of my CA fobs on delivery. The dealer ordered me a new key and mailed it to me. I am 200 + miles from the dealer.
The buttons worked and it would start the car when placed in the cradle like a non CA fob.
Had to go to the dealer and have the lost CA key un-programmed and the new CA key programmed into the system.
Maybe you can not have the programming and save some money? I am guessing $100-150 for the programming?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
MikeInOKC
1st Gear
I (almost) never put the FOB in the dash. Yes it sits in the cup holder in the garage. Sometimes the missus will bring it inside and I have to do the "go in and get the key" dance.
3+ years and no problems.