R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Temperature in Tachometer Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
fox718
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temperature in Tachometer Help

Hey I just upgraded my 2010 Cooper for a 2011 Cooper S. I'm loving it so far but there's one little quirk thats driving me nuts. In my 2010 I use to be able to display the temperature in the large tachometer (where the rpms are). In the 2011 it defaults to the speed and I can't figure out how the heck to change it.

I have a huge, beautiful speedometer in the middle of the car, why would I repeat it in the tachometer?

Any clues how to switch it to the temp. again?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Simple...press in the button on the end of the turn signal wand until the temp is displayed. I would advise you to read your manual....twice....there are a lot of functions you need to program for each key fob that are explained in the book. Everything from daylight running lamps to radio stations.

Good luck,

L

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
I have a huge, beautiful speedometer in the middle of the car, why would I repeat it in the tachometer?
I don't drive without the digital speedo in the tach; it's much more natural to me. I forget there's a giant, analog one in the middle until someone riding with me says something about it!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Larry (Mini15235) is spot on... Read the manual.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
fox718
1st Gear
Larry (Mini15235) and Melangell,

Of course I've read the manual. Ironically as Larry suggested I've actually read it twice, cover to cover. There was nothing in there in 2010 and nothing in there now about what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the display on top, not the bottom. I actually want to emulate exactly how it is in this picture. In my 2010 mini I could toggle to the temperature leave it there for a little while and when I toggle out, it would display the temperature in the top display above. Now it seems like I can't have anything on top except the speed!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Hmmm...I'm not sure I have anything to offer in the way of help since I never saw the inside of a 2010. I hope you weren't thinking I was being snappy saying to read the manual, cause that was not my intention.

There are a lot of things in the car that are only explained in the manual. For example, I've had my car a month and only just learned that if you "blip" the high beams on after you have parked and removed your key, it will light the headlights for a programmable time so you can walk to the house.

Thats a nice feature for us since we back into a carport we installed just off the main driveway. I may just be behind the times, but when you have been driving a 2003 Crew Cab truck for 8 years these little features make you smile when you find them...

Larry

Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 AM
fox718
1st Gear
No no I didn't think you were being snappy at all. Actually I thought I was just being unclear.

Yeah these little features are really nice. I've read a bunch that were never explained to me at the dealer and I could have easily gone my whole life without knowing they where there. But I've noticed that either a few things are missing from the manual, or I'm a terrible reader! (i.e. this tachometer issue)

I also found a setting for the lowering the Gong volume once and I completely forgot where I saw that too =_=

Anyways, thanks for the response. Enjoy your mini, you picked it up at a great year!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM
stevenfstein
Former Vendor
Shameless plug for my website www.minicooperinfo.com but I have all of the MINI training videos posted here http://minicooperinfo.com/?page_id=256

Best.... Steve

Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
jearl
2nd Gear
I just picked up my 2011 a couple days ago. I'm pretty sure my MA said that in the 2011's, the large display always shows the speed and you can't change it. In my '08 I know I could put the temp in there as pictured above, but I always had the speed displayed there so no biggie for me. You might be able to go into the super secret diagnostic area and change it...I remember reading a thread in here on how to get to it.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
yes for the 2011's the Digital Speed is permanent.

You can search the forum for NCS Expert (here and more importantly on E90) and change the setting but it is a thorough read and I would not suggest anyone without high computer skills to tackle it.

You would change DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT in the KOMBI cluster.

Where are you located? If you're local I can put you in touch with my good friend does programming in the NYC Metro Area and it's suburbs.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Sal
1st Gear
does that Hi beam blip work with new countryman
Thanks

Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 PM
fox718
1st Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin

You can search the forum for NCS Expert (here and more importantly on E90) and change the setting but it is a thorough read and I would not suggest anyone without high computer skills to tackle it.

Where are you located? If you're local I can put you in touch with my good friend does programming in the NYC Metro Area and it's suburbs.
Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm definitely looking into this!

Toolazy, I'm down in Miami and I'd hardly say local but I really appreciate it. I have some freelance to work on but I'm going to look this up soon and see if I can do it. Thanks again everyone, I'll post an update if I can.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenfstein
Shameless plug for my website www.minicooperinfo.com but I have all of the MINI training videos posted here http://minicooperinfo.com/?page_id=256

Best.... Steve

Hey man, that's awesome stuff! Thanks!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
fox718
1st Gear
Ok lots of info on this throughout the forums but I can't justify the cost of the cable. Anyone know of a good site for the cables or is willing to help me out in south Florida. I'm a graphic designer and can barter for services

Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
sumthnaboutbritt
Neutral
ditto..

Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin

I'm happy to see someone else ask about this. I'm in the same boat. i had an 09 mini cooper and just picked up an 11 on Monday. i was trying to figure out why the bold mph was bothering me so much, since id been without a mini for a few months, and then i realized what it was and could not for the life of me figure out how to change it. I was sitting in my car with a friend last night for over an hour fidgeting and reading the manual (we were in a dead zone so couldnt google it on our phones). I liked having time, temp, and miles til empty displayed. and the mph number is so bold!

I'm in NY..can you fwd me your friends contact information? Has he or she done this before? I'm probably going to speak with the dealer before i go ahead with anything but I would love to make the switch.