R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hill Assist @*&%@

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is Tornado, what you are describing is not the way hill assist should be behaving. Yours sounds broken.

You should be able to make a leisurely transition from brake to throttle, release the clutch while applying throttle and the CM should just move forward with no reverse roll while moving from brake to throttle.

I don't under stand your 2 second issue, the hill assist should release as soon as you move forward regardless.

The CM is a little more touchy at stalling because the engine is a little doggy for a vehicle of that weight before the turbo kicks in. I drove four different all 4s at the dealership when I was test driving and none of them had the issue with hill assist that you are describing.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have watched this string with interest - not because I have driven manuals for over 50 years and am a better driver - but I do not have a problem with HA. I am thinking maybe something is amiss with the OP's HA.

When I pull up to a stop on a hill and put the trans in 1st to be ready to go and the clutch is depressed and my right foot is on the brake, I know the HA is in effect. When I move my right foot to the gas and release the clutch, the HA immediately releases and I move forward. I have - in 2+ years and 30k miles - never had the HA not release.

It the OP's does not release and his rear wheels drag, I think there is a problem the dealer should address.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A small bit of Trivia. Does anyone here know what automobile company developed the Hill Assist but they called it Hill Holder and held the patent on it for as long as they could. I want guesses first and then I will tell everyone. Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't someone earlier in this thread tell us that it was Studebaker?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
I am also suprised by the report that the HA doesn't hold for a consistent amount of time. I have "demonstrated it" to several people, including one "new to manual" driver, and I can count one-one thousand, two-one thousand, and am almost at 3 before it releases -- every time.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tornado
Please stop telling me (and others here) to learn how to drive manual cars. It is insulting.
Not sure who you are directing this to but I stand by my comment. If the fault is the CM then that certainly is another story. (That still needs to be determined and proved.)

Didn't mean to insult you that was not my intention, but knowing what I know about the HA systems I doubt very much that it is the vehicle. I think it's a technique issue.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Slave to Felines,

You are correct but Subaru for the longest time was the only manufacturer offering it as standard equipment on it's manual transmission vehicles

Old 09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
According to the WDS:
AFA: Drive-off assistant

When driving off on an incline, a switch from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal is required. Here, the drive-off assistant prevents the vehicle from rolling in the following situations:
  • uphill in a forward gear
  • uphill in reverse gear
Here, the brake pressure required to hold the vehicle is maintained. The road surface inclination is picked up by the longitudinal acceleration sensor in the DSC control unit. The necessary braking torque or engine torque is calculated from the road surface inclination. After detection of the wish to drive off, the brake pressure is reduced as soon as the applied engine torque is sufficient to move the vehicle in the desired direction of travel. If the parking brake is actuated, the drive-off assistant is disabled. If there is no wish to drive off within approx. 2 seconds after releasing the brake pedal, the drive-off assistant is also disabled.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
According to the WDS:
AFA: Drive-off assistant

When driving off on an incline, a switch from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal is required. Here, the drive-off assistant prevents the vehicle from rolling in the following situations:
  • uphill in a forward gear
  • uphill in reverse gear
Here, the brake pressure required to hold the vehicle is maintained. The road surface inclination is picked up by the longitudinal acceleration sensor in the DSC control unit. The necessary braking torque or engine torque is calculated from the road surface inclination. After detection of the wish to drive off, the brake pressure is reduced as soon as the applied engine torque is sufficient to move the vehicle in the desired direction of travel. If the parking brake is actuated, the drive-off assistant is disabled. If there is no wish to drive off within approx. 2 seconds after releasing the brake pedal, the drive-off assistant is also disabled.
That's exactly how mine works to a tee.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love hill assist.
If I'm in neutral it won't kick in. So I don't see the issue. If you don't want it on, just slap that baby into neutral at the stop light on a hill, then shift when you see green.