R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Planning on purchase....2006 JCW w/29k or 2011 S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
bendtundra
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning on purchase....2006 JCW w/29k or 2011 S?

First post since joining in the last month. I belong to to three other forums and love the help that I always get. I want to pose a question to all you "miniacs".... My wife would like a mini and I wouldn't mine driving it around on occassion. Would you purchase a used '06 JCW with 29k miles for around 21k or buy new? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Steven

Last edited by bendtundra; 04-07-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I'd go with the new one for many reasons (ordered exactly as desired, only owner, warranty, zero miles, etc.), but a lot is going to come down to test driving both, IMO.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same as above, I bought my first car used, an Xterra with 85k miles that I still love, but it's been awful to me here and there and needed a lot of help to run nicely, I doubt I will ever buy a used car again. I'm the kinda guy that likes to know EVERYTHING that's been done to a car and not have to wonder whether the person who owned it before me was meticulous or even careful or knowledgeable about the vehicle at all.

But that's just me ranting, (and my '11 S is on order!)

Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a very nice MINI. I'd buy that 2006 JCW before a new one. The 2006 MINI is probably the most reliable one they have built to date.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2006 was a great year. I will always love and miss my R53. Would have loved to have had the pleasure of owning a R53 JCW. I'd seriously consider it under the right circumstances. That said I'm quite pleased with my R56 JCW. I'm getting more power @ better mpg's than my R53 ever did. In the end you'll just have to decide whether or not you want to fork out the extra cash for an mpg increase and a new car warranty.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
superfly
2nd Gear
I just purchased a 2009 JCW with 51k for 20k and love it to death, my girlfriend has a 2011 S. If she didm't have that '11, I personally would have gotten a new one because with used car interests rates higher than on new (new being 0.9% through mini) my payment would have been the same on a new one but like I said I didn't really want to almost the same cars sitting in the driveway. Now if you are purchasing outright and want to spend less money, go for the 06 otherwise I'd say go new! Just my $.02!!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
bendtundra
Neutral
Hmmmmm..... kinda 50/50... Key points: I've heard that the '06 is the fastest of all minis performance wise, and I've read about some horror stories on the reliability in general after the 50k warranty is up. Love the newer body style changes (bigger) but love the whine of a supercharger.
I'm a meticulous car owner that would love to know the history of the vehicle. I also can tell by the way the car is conditioned whether it has been taken care of or not for the most part. I assume a person who drives a car hard but maintains the inside meticulously would be the same type that would keep up on maintenence. Just my opinion.
I do buy/like new, and enjoy the piece of mind with a new warranty, but I'll buy slightly used with a little research and homework.
Need some more insight fellas. Here is a link to the vehicle....
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2309067432.html

If you buy it out from under me....shame on you! Thanks for all the replies so far!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 PM
bendtundra
Neutral
Originally Posted by biggripper
2006 was a great year. I will always love and miss my R53. Would have loved to have had the pleasure of owning a R53 JCW. I'd seriously consider it under the right circumstances. That said I'm quite pleased with my R56 JCW. I'm getting more power @ better mpg's than my R53 ever did. In the end you'll just have to decide whether or not you want to fork out the extra cash for an mpg increase and a new car warranty.

Thanks for the imput Gripper....or is it big ripper What kind of mileage did your R53 get. Do you think your '09 is faster than the '06? How do they differ in handling? This is going to be our Sunday driver since we have three other vehicles and a motorhome....would you consider it a dd?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Espada
1st Gear
I was going to say get the new MINI.

I was going to say you'll appreciate the better build and warranty backing it up.

I was going to say you will appreciate the better fuel economy.

I was going to say you will appreciate the modern appointments of an '11 Cooper S

But then I followed that link you posted.

Damn.

Get the '06 JCW. Now. If I didn't live in your neck of the woods, I probably would buy that car out from under you. Well I don't think I would do that, but I couldn't make any promises.

That '06 is stunning. While I maintain that there is something significant to be said about knowing the history of your ride from day one; I cannot deny the allure of that JCW.

Last edited by Espada; 04-07-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 AM
superfly
2nd Gear
I just called and inquired about it and gave them money down to hold it for me, sorry. JUST KIDDING!!!!

Looks like it might have the convenience package also with the garage door opener on the rear view mirror. Also, it looks like a beautiful car. Another reason I bought my 09 JCW over new was because I knew that if i purchased a new one, I probably would have regretted buying the used JCW. I would say with all of the comments and tips you are getting on this topic which are very helpful, go with what you think is right so you dont regret it later!! GOOD LUCK, let us know and post pics!!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both good options.
A question you may want to ask yourself is do you plan to mod the car?
If you want to do more performance work the 06 would be better. If you want to drive stock performance get the 11.
So far the R53 has more performance options and RMW looks to be offering more options every day. The R56 is just harder to mod because all newer cars from BMW have the ECU codes locked down more (Not really sure because I mostly follow just the R53 mods).

You have probably read all of the 'R53 is more elemental and pure' and the 'R56 is more refined and civilized' threads. If you have not driven both you should. While they look a lot alike, there are very real difference in the feel of an R53 vs. and R56.

I would get the 06 checked by a good MINI expert and if it checks out get it. Mostly because I like to buy used and let someone else take the new car 'hair cut' of depreciation.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'06 JCW! The first gen simply looks better. (More pure, less homogenized if you will.) And the supercharger whine is better than the turbo any day of the week. It's just a more visceral car. And '06 was an excellent year.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
Hmmm.

What are HER priorities with respect to motor cars?

Just asking...

Kind regards,

Charlie

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
bendtundra
Neutral
wow....I never thought to ask her! She has always trusted me with my car choices. I took her LandCruiser 100 series and heavily modded it for overland expedition which she thought was super cool. She didn't like the snorkel but loved the slee offroad rear bumper and ARB front. She doesn't know how to use the winch but she'll never get the chance anyway. We use it for hauling 8 people or heading to/over the mountain passes.
She has however, took over the used Honda Element that I bought for another company car. My Tundra CM was a tax write off but doesn't get the gas mileage that I want now that my work territory is larger than when I bought it.
The Cooper is going to be a Sunday driver/around town and occasional spirted road car.
I always try to get something that won't leave me regretting as far as car purchases...ie. S4 vs A4. I also am learning from you guys about the availability of additional performance mods for that year and the supercharger. I live a little over an hour from Alta, which might be advantageous.
Again, thanks for the replies

Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
then id do the 06. more of a drivers car.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by bendtundra
wow....I never thought to ask her! She has always trusted me with my car choices. I took her LandCruiser 100 series and heavily modded it for overland expedition which she thought was super cool. She didn't like the snorkel but loved the slee offroad rear bumper and ARB front. She doesn't know how to use the winch but she'll never get the chance anyway. We use it for hauling 8 people or heading to/over the mountain passes.
She has however, took over the used Honda Element that I bought for another company car. My Tundra CM was a tax write off but doesn't get the gas mileage that I want now that my work territory is larger than when I bought it.
The Cooper is going to be a Sunday driver/around town and occasional spirted road car.
I always try to get something that won't leave me regretting as far as car purchases...ie. S4 vs A4. I also am learning from you guys about the availability of additional performance mods for that year and the supercharger. I live a little over an hour from Alta, which might be advantageous.
Again, thanks for the replies
OK - I'll 2nd that.

The Works 2006.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-09-2011, 08:31 PM
swopey
2nd Gear
I just bought an 07 MCS and love it. I was heavily considering an 05 JCW though and can say that if well taken care of and in great shape then go with the JCW. Good luck and hope you get a deal on it, or maybe you already did cause the link has already been removed from craigslist......

Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 AM
bendtundra
Neutral
Originally Posted by swopey
I just bought an 07 MCS and love it. I was heavily considering an 05 JCW though and can say that if well taken care of and in great shape then go with the JCW. Good luck and hope you get a deal on it, or maybe you already did cause the link has already been removed from craigslist......

Well Charlie.....apparently that car wasn't for me. Instead of heading to Portland, I was enjoying Soccer Saturday and doing yardwork. I planned on looking at the car sometime this week. There will be others...just happy for the reponses.
If it was one of you fellow NAM members, you at least owe me a ride in the car!
Anyone looking to sell....I have cash.
Did I tell you I found a GP yesterday?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
AXO
5th Gear
Get the New one!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'd get the '06, but it seems a little pricey. Maybe you can haggle it down to 19-20k. I saw a loaded red one with under 20k miles for 18-19k recently in my area. Then again, there are a ton of MINIs in Los Angeles.

R53 seems more special to me than an R56. Driving experience is more raw, sounds nicer stock, ect.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
11cooperS
2nd Gear
As stated earlier, the R53's best year is 2006, and MINI's best cooper IMO was the R53, and the best cooper is the JCW. So what I'm saying is, a 2006 JCW with that low of mileage is the ultimate. Probably. Depends on service history, etc. You can always buy a warranty for peace of mind or just keep some money on the side.

My 2011 is B>O>R>I>N>G compared to the old 2003 R53 which I loved.