R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 mini for long term use ie, will it handle the power

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Old chuck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini for long term use ie, will it handle the power

Trying to get a feel for the reliability that a 2011 mini S will give. Have read(yea I know) that the S has more issues then the non S. Is there any data to support this? I know the S is tweeked fairly tight and puts out quite a bit of power for its'ie displacement. Actually, it puts out more then an M3 for displacement. For the gear heads here, are the internals built to withstand the torque that the S will put on them over the long haul? Just trying to get a feel for the ability to stay together and give fairly trouble free service.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Minionymous
2nd Gear
There are cars that are puttin gout over 100 hp per L the mini should be ok

Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Old chuck
2nd Gear
That was my point. The new mini S is putting out around 181 hp without added boost and with 1.6 liters. I know that there are cars that do around two per liter but would not call them the best for long life. I know the mini is a fun car but just was wondering what are the chances of a mini S going over say 150,000 miles without major work.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
150K? Zero. That's my bet. I've never seen any forced induction car, (engine), last that long without something.

But at least they are cheap.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by richardsperry
150K? Zero. That's my bet. I've never seen any forced induction car, (engine), last that long without something.

I don't know about that statement. Before I bought the MINI, I drove a 2000 VW New Beetle (1.8 liter Turbo). When I got rid of the car, it had 165,000+ miles on it. Original turbo (K03), original clutch, and had never had the internals of the engine touched. I had the car re-programmed by APR, a turbo-back exhaust, and revised intake. I would estimate the horsepower at roughly 180 with these improvements. I ran full synthetic the entire time changing the oil at about 7500 mile intervals.

I didn't baby the car, but did perform all reccomended maintenance at the appropriate time. I do think that it's possible for a forced induction car to achieve the type of mileage he's asking about. It just depends on the design of the equipment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get the same kind of service out of the Clubman. I mean come on, VW isn't that high on the "reliability meter" either.....

Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just about every over the road truck out there is turbo charged, and they regularly do a million miles between o'hauls.....and I guarantee you those truck engines work a lot harder than any MINI's...

It just depends on how it's cared for, that's all....just as the previous poster wrote. Do the maint, change the oil regularly (I also do 7,500 intervals on my '09 Clubman S and have had 1 problem in 31K miles - chain tensioner replaced at 3K) follow the required maint and there's no good reason it shouldn't last.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I also have a 2003 Audi TT with the 225hp 1.8liter and it has over 100k miles with 0 problems. I don't know why the MINI won't go the distance.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You really aren't trying to compare a huge cast iron, low revving diesel truck engine to the little high revving Mini engine are you?

And there is a difference between still running at 150K and running a lot better with some TLC work. (say a valve job, turbo seals...)

Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Well Old Chuck, if you wait till the reviews are in, you will never buy an MCS. Unfortunately internet forums tend to show the problems and issues more than happy drivers who have no problems.

I had the same misgivings as you before I bought my 2009. Now at 2 years and 26,000 miles I would tell you to take the plunge. This car is a lot of fun to drive and I love it. It did need a new tensioner and I do change the oil around 7,500, and in a way, I am keeping my fingers crossed; but every time I drive it, I am glad I bought it. Of course I do have the manual shift/convertible which is even more fun.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There are thousands upon thousands of MINIs out there. what you read about for problems on internet forums equate to less than 1% of the people driving a particular car.

Yes two people have mentioned chain tensioners and YES there was a problem with them but it has been resolved. YES there has been a problem wiht the High Pressure Fuel pumps but they have fixed that AND extended the warranty to 100k for those that had the ones that were a problem.

There is not one single car out there that can be called 100% reliable, they all break down or have thier problems, they are mechanical. But if you are looking for the BEST reliability buy a Toyota, but don't complain that it is a boring car.

My opinion - buy one. But then again I may be biased I have had 1 fuel pump replaced under warranty and no other problems. or maybe I'm just lucky.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schatzy62
But if you are looking for the BEST reliability buy a Toyota, but don't complain when the pedal sticks and kills your whole family in a giant fireball

fixed that for you

Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 PM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
Well I have a Prius with 75K and not one problem. It goes and goes, 55mpg, and yes, it stops on a dime on my command.
Just change oil and perform maintenance.

I also have a MINI that at 15K required a new sunroof cassette and motor and tensioner and timing chain. Fixed under warranty.
If the fear is there of repairs, but a MINI, see how it goes, enjoy the ride, and buy an extended warranty out to 100K. That's what I did, after getting the 3K worth of work done on their dime. Lucky.

I do enjoy the MINI. It is a blast to drive like no other.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have a '98 Volvo V70 T5, It has a turbocharged 235 hp engine, it is pushing 200K miles now and has had no engine or transmision problems.

Dave

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I've had my car in for repairs for about 4 weeks over the last month and a half. I'm still considering buying another to replace it if I can get a good deal on a new one. From my experience, I just wouldn't drive it past warranty, but then again my experience is probably abnormal. Just make sure your dealer provides loaners!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I have 53k on mine and had a right fuel sending unit replaced. That be it

Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
The bottom line is if you enjoy driving it, keep it until warranty expiration or buy extended warranty for peace of mind. Repairs can be costly.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpyVsSpy
I have 53k on mine and had a right fuel sending unit replaced. That be it
I had that done too. Plussss clutch pedal, timing chain and tensioner, thermostat, sunroof problems countless times, various pcv stuff and they're now replacing a piston.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
I had that done too. Plussss clutch pedal, timing chain and tensioner, thermostat, sunroof problems countless times, various pcv stuff and they're now replacing a piston.
What happened to your piston? And how/why?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
What happened to your piston? And how/why?
Basically I was driving around 60 mph in 6th gear and I got a CEL. Car ran really rough and started making a lot of white smoke. I thought it was a head gasket, but apparently not.

So I got it towed and my dealer with all their wisdom can't say why it happened, or the exact condition of the piston! They also won't say if there was any cylinder damage. They will only say it failed and they're only going to replace one piston/ring. Actually they also said they checked to see if I over-revved it... This inadequate repair being done at the dealer likely doesn't bode well for the future durability of my car.

I'm not very pleased with all this, so I'm trying to get a trade assist from MINIUSA. May get a JCW if all goes well.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Basically I was driving around 60 mph in 6th gear and I got a CEL. Car ran really rough and started making a lot of white smoke. I thought it was a head gasket, but apparently not.

So I got it towed and my dealer with all their wisdom can't say why it happened, or the exact condition of the piston! They also won't say if there was any cylinder damage. They will only say it failed and they're only going to replace one piston/ring. Actually they also said they checked to see if I over-revved it... This inadequate repair being done at the dealer likely doesn't bode well for the future durability of my car.

I'm not very pleased with all this, so I'm trying to get a trade assist from MINIUSA. May get a JCW if all goes well.
Ugh that sucks! Was your car tuned?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Ugh that sucks! Was your car tuned?
Was running my stock map.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM
MysticM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry

My 2002 Subaru WRX just turned 192,000mi on stock engine / gearbox/turbo/clutch..it has had the COBB stage II since 30k mi...don't know where you are getting your data from. It all depends on how you maintain and drive the car.