R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 GTI vs 2007 Mini Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:53 AM
BigCanoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GTI vs 2007 Mini Cooper S?

Any reason to go from a 2007 GTI to a Cooper S of the same year? Better gas mileage? More fun to drive? Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arncota
Any reason to go from a 2007 GTI to a Cooper S of the same year? Better gas mileage? More fun to drive? Thoughts?
This topic has come up a few times. I'd suggest you drive them both. They are very different cars, both fun to drive and each has some ups and downs. The stock '07 GTI is a little less nimble, but very user friendly. Plenty of space inside, comfortably seats 4 people and still has room for cargo. But, it doesn't handle as well, the gass mileage isn't as good and all-around, I just don't find it as much fun to drive.

In my opinion, if you have the '07 with the DSG transmission, you should just get any other car to save yourself the repair costs.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 AM
BigCanoe
2nd Gear
I own a 2007 GTI with manual 6 speed. I used to own a 2003 Mini Cooper S. I was looking at the 2007+ Mini Cooper S as an alternative with slightly better gas mileage. The GTI is quiet and comfortable for sure.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
The only serious problem on the FSI GTI's are the cam followers which is an easy fix. The DSG is covered for 100k miles and there is a recall for defective units. I'd say the MINI has more problem spots and the GTI is great value for the money!

Just got to drive both and look at service history.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
GTiGLi
1st Gear
I'm a long time VW nut, currently have, and will always have VWs, even though I just purchased a Mini.

I had a 2007 GTI. The 2.0T is an amazing motor with lots of potential. With a downpipe and a software upgrade, it is *very* quick and I still got decent fuel economy. It is very comfortable and is probably easier to drive and live with daily.

The mini is definitely more nimble. I bought it for the fuel economy. I traded the GTI on an V8 S4...having already had a GTI, I figured I'd give the Mini a shot. I opted for the turbo model since they get better fuel economy, and I must say, it's a hoot.

If you don't plan to keep it for long, the Mini probably has better resale value. However, It's looking like it's going to be more expensive to play with if you plan on doing any customizations/mods.

And if you do your fluid and filter changes on the DSG every 40k as prescribed, they're very reliable transmissions.

It sounds like from your post, that you already have a 2007 GTI. Unless you're just looking for something different, I don't think it's necessarily worth jumping ship.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
BigCanoe
2nd Gear
Ya, I have a 2007 with a 6 speed manual. Probably not worth the loss to trade or sell it.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by arncota
Ya, I have a 2007 with a 6 speed manual. Probably not worth the loss to trade or sell it.
I don't think it would be worth it unless you do a private trade with someone. Get an APR tune and some suspension mods to tighten up the handling and you'll have a better performing car than the MINI for less than you'd lose on the trade in.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both are great hot hatches. I came from 2 GTI's in a row to own my MINI, and have lusted after the newest GTI's while simultaneously loving my MINI. I've even test driven a GTI (twice, incidentally), since owning my MINI. Came close to perhaps going back to VW once or twice, but decided to stick with my MINI.

Happy now, I still follow the latest news of the GTI a lot. So given all that, I'll say this:

They're both very fun cars to drive. I love the GTI's engine and 6-speed manual. The handling is pretty much the perfect mix. Sporty, but not too harsh and frantic. Somewhat softer than the MINI's, which makes it much easier to live with, day to day, but for a spirited drive or track day, the MINI wins in this department.

The GTI wins overall, because it is simply a better all-around car. It has more room in every dimension, larger trunk, can come with 4 doors for family-hauling duty, and yet still remains fun to drive.

Sure, it isn't perhaps as fuel-efficient, but who cares.

If (God forbid), I totalled my MINI today and was unhurt, but had to buy a car right now to replace it, I'd get a new GTI (or Golf R!!!). I know, I know, BLASPHEMY!!!

That doesn't diminish my overall love for MINIs, but as my family grows, the MINI is more and more of a weekend/summer-only car, and less of a daily driver. The GTI could be everything to me, all the time...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
AXO
5th Gear
I drove both the GTI and the Mini S before I purchased my Mini S. I would like to say I was undecided, but I wasn't. I liked the Mini S much better. I love the Looks, handling. The performance and braking were pretty close. I am very happy with my Mini S and I am sure you will not be disappointed. The Mini S works for me.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I think the problem with the GTI is it feels way too neutral. It's a great drivers car, but it leaves you feeling a little disconnected. I think in stock form, the GTI is a better performing car, but the MINI feels better.

The MINI's manual transmission feels far superior, handling feels more confident (GTI handles better I think regardless), brakes better, steering feels tighter, but the 2.0T feels so smooth, it's hard to beat in the segment! Of course this is all subjective.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear

This was my 2010 GTI. Loved the car, would probably still have it if:
A) I didn't settle for less and skip the adaptive Xenons
B) I didn't settle for less and skip the Dynaudio
C) I didn't have a desire to own every car on my automotive to-do list

It was a great car from 53 to 9000 miles when I traded it on the '11 S. I miss it and occasionally regret the trade, but the Cooper is more fun, gets better MPG, feels quicker because of better throttle response, longer warranty (but you'll need it with the MINI), and has a fun image.

The GTI will have better reliability, likely more outright grip but when modded come close, is quieter, softer, and generally a more refined daily driver. The GTI's interior would be at home in an Audi.

Both are great cars, it depends on what you want.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 PM
AXO
5th Gear
One Man's Bologna is another Man's Steak!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Nice, are those Interlagos wheels? Love it! I'd also regret not getting the xenons and dynaudio! I'm guessing you got it off the lot and didn't want to wait for the exact car you wanted?

BTW, VW has a BETTER warranty and maintenance plan than MINI 3/36k maintenance and 5/60k warranty.

Originally Posted by Roundel

This was my 2010 GTI. Loved the car, would probably still have it if:
A) I didn't settle for less and skip the adaptive Xenons
B) I didn't settle for less and skip the Dynaudio
C) I didn't have a desire to own every car on my automotive to-do list

It was a great car from 53 to 9000 miles when I traded it on the '11 S. I miss it and occasionally regret the trade, but the Cooper is more fun, gets better MPG, feels quicker because of better throttle response, longer warranty (but you'll need it with the MINI), and has a fun image.

The GTI will have better reliability, likely more outright grip but when modded come close, is quieter, softer, and generally a more refined daily driver. The GTI's interior would be at home in an Audi.

Both are great cars, it depends on what you want.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Nice, are those Interlagos wheels? Love it! I'd also regret not getting the xenons and dynaudio! I'm guessing you got it off the lot and didn't want to wait for the exact car you wanted?

BTW, VW has a BETTER warranty and maintenance plan than MINI 3/36k maintenance and 5/60k warranty.
Not only did I settle, I bought the car in two hours and didn't check local stock. Mine came with the Detroits, which I promptly sold, but there was a '10 at an even closer dealer with Denvers and Xenons. FML. I made sure not to make the same mistake on the Mini, damned transaction took nearly two weeks!

About the warranty, VW is total ****. 3 free oil changes (there's really not much else to it, and brakes aren't included). Starting in '09 there is the maintenance but the limited warranty was shortened to 3/36k.

The wheels were custom-matched Carbon Steel Grey 18" Interlagos with ContiExtremeContact DWS tires. H&R springs too.

I traded the car into Passport Mini, the sales manager bitched bitched bitched about how the market is soft on the car. They had an identical '10 on the lot...mine sold in a day, the stock '10 sat. Dammit wish I kept the wheels but couldn't.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Wow sorry to hear that! The '11s say 5/60k on the VW website, figured the '10 would be the same. My '08 CPO has a 74k warranty, which I've never had to use.

Awesome wheels, I would have bought some stock Denvers or something cheap to stick on and sold the Interlagos on vwvortex or golfmkvi! But when you're in a hurry to sell, it's easier said than done!

Originally Posted by Roundel
Not only did I settle, I bought the car in two hours and didn't check local stock. Mine came with the Detroits, which I promptly sold, but there was a '10 at an even closer dealer with Denvers and Xenons. FML. I made sure not to make the same mistake on the Mini, damned transaction took nearly two weeks!

About the warranty, VW is total ****. 3 free oil changes (there's really not much else to it, and brakes aren't included). Starting in '09 there is the maintenance but the limited warranty was shortened to 3/36k.

The wheels were custom-matched Carbon Steel Grey 18" Interlagos with ContiExtremeContact DWS tires. H&R springs too.

I traded the car into Passport Mini, the sales manager bitched bitched bitched about how the market is soft on the car. They had an identical '10 on the lot...mine sold in a day, the stock '10 sat. Dammit wish I kept the wheels but couldn't.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Jahan
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an 07 GTI DSG Loaded, and I sold it to my sister and got an 07 Mini Cooper S 6speed Loaded.

The Mini gets much better mileage (average ~30 vs 24-25), has better brakes and better handling. Overall it's much more fun to drive stock vs. stock, and so far I'm happy with my decision.

The GTI has more body roll, better ride, more comfortable interior, better stereo, MUCH more room (I could carry two mountain bikes or multiple snowboards in my GTI, no way for any of that stuff in the Mini), and a better engine.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Wow sorry to hear that! The '11s say 5/60k on the VW website, figured the '10 would be the same. My '08 CPO has a 74k warranty, which I've never had to use.

Awesome wheels, I would have bought some stock Denvers or something cheap to stick on and sold the Interlagos on vwvortex or golfmkvi! But when you're in a hurry to sell, it's easier said than done!
I had Denvers but the sales manager said no deal without the wheels. I should have went to another dealer (really should have kept the car, from a purely financial standpoint) but finding a properly-equipped Cooper S with a great discount due to 5500 Mini Executive miles is not easy and takes months. So I traded the wheels and sucked it up. It's actually not a big deal, I parted out my stock Denvers and made $420 bucks so it's all good.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:40 AM
JayDeeMmmEP3
1st Gear
tough question..
i had a Jetta GLi once, but the car crap out on me due to electrical wiring issues. and it was purchased new.
I vowed never agian to get another VW, so i bought a Mini and LOVE it. but, the GTI is a great car, and i do have friends who own GTi and there are awesome... i say get what makes u happy to drive it everyday... if you could get used to small trunk space and a useless back seat. GO MINI!!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder.. is this you?

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146332

If so I am boosted_r56.. I posted all my thoughts in here.

Woot since I have owned a 2006.5 GTI and a 2007 MCS I can chime in on a few things.

MPG: Mini cooper S I am averaging 34.7mpg combined.

Handling: The cars steering is more responsive than that of the GTi's. Both cars handle great, except my GTi was on full suspension when purchased. The MCS is like a go cart that is street legal.

Styling: As much as I loved the plaid interior, I am in love with my heated leather seaters and cold weather packages since I live in utah.

LSD - The mini has an electronic LSD that is quite noticeable when shuffling around the track and in corners. As we know the GTi has no lsd and therefore just spins.

The mini is like a smaller GTI.. both are Direct injection, FWD, 6SPD, Turbo. The MCS is about 2669lbs curb weight making it much lighter than the GTi. Currently the GTi has much more aftermarket than the cooper as far as bigger turbos, etc.

I personally would take either car if given the chance, but cant say i havent been pleased with everything the mini has brought to the table thus far. I race local Lap Battles and Time attacks and currently minis take the 1-4 positions in the race class and the street class followed by GTi's.

It really comes down to the purpose of the car and what you want to do with it. I personally was seeing 30mpg in my GTi, so 4-5mpg more isnt to bad when you drive 500+ miles a week. I dont think this is much of an argument to where you can argue interiors either, both have nice interiors in my opinion, i do miss the indigo gauges of the GTi but dont mind the orange in the MINI, the minis have a nice "mood light" feature that allows you to change the color of about 10 LEDs placed in the car that add to the ambiance of car.

You will find you will pay more for aftermarket parts being the market is small, but always growing. But I firmly dont believe in Ebay downpipes any ways so it works pretty well.

I would guess my MCS is as fast if not faster than most stage 2/2+ GTi's on this website. With plans to go with a different turbo this fall. Half the reason i own my mini is i love cars that i dont see modded all the time, I cant say i have seen another MCS in utah with a FMIC at all or even many mods. Stock turbo these cars can make around 220whp/260wtq so power to weight is what really helps the mini.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
2007 MINI is either open diff or mechanical LSD with about 30% lock. The DTC is the e-LSD and I think that came around in 2009.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
i stand corrected then, thank you.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
no, my 08 has the e-LSD option.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
no, my 08 has the e-LSD option.
I too stand corrected But the '07 is for sure only mechanical LSD or open diff for the S.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I think some manual cars even had LSD and DTC before they got rid of the LSD option, but I suspect these would be quite rare.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 08 manual has mechanical LSD and DTC.

I have always liked the gti but could never pull the trigger on one. I recently test drove a nice 2011 model and still prefer my 2008 mcs with jcw bits for the pure fun factor. If I needed more space and wanted a more refined drive then the gti would be high on my list. But it is NOT as fun to drive day in and day out and that is still my number one priority.

Quick Reply: R56 2007 GTI vs 2007 Mini Cooper S?