R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Comfort Access or Not

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
woodyups
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comfort Access or Not

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on my !st Mini wanted to get the Forums thoughts. Where I live its hard to find a New Mini on the lot with it.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
amberback
5th Gear
I love it.

It really proves its worth then you're trying to get in the car while carrying stuff.

I could see girls benefitting more from it than guys though. I leave the key lost in my purse and never take it out.

Order your MINI to your liking, unless you're saving $$ by buying off the lot there is no reason not to get exactly what you want.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had it for 3 years now, and love it. I wish I had it on my Range Rover.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I will not purchase a car without it any more. Just Love it. Hate getting in cars that don't have it now.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
My first MINI had it and I didn't realize how much I loved it until I traded that one in for a new car without CA. Big mistake. And I miss the automatic rain-sensing wipers as well.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I love comfort access, however in the middle of cold Vermont winters I curse it because you can't install a car starter with comfort access.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, have it...

on an S coupe, and also on an Audi. I would get it again easily. Not as sophisticated as some w/ optical sensors for the open function, and the latch mechanism/handle can be balky at times (another thread relating to comfort access was going on that some weeks back), but it works.

As a guy by the way (to complement the female in the purse key option comment), key just can stay in your pocket for days on end, unless you want to use incremental remote functions.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
when it works, it's really convenient and great.

unfortunately, i had terrible experience with it on my prior cars - battery drain, easily broken (especially when out of warranty), cell phone signal interferes with it, works only half time (felt stupid standing there touching my door handle). so i didn't get it this time and didn't missed it at all.

bear in mind that either get it now ($500) or it would be prohibitively costly to retrofit CA onto a mini later (>$2000).

Last edited by cccplus; 04-14-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Dean Coop
1st Gear
One of my favorite options on mine. Its just too nice not to have to get your key out of your pocket.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chimera
I love comfort access, however in the middle of cold Vermont winters I curse it because you can't install a car starter with comfort access.

Much rather have OEM remote start - use the OEM remote start everyday on my GMC truck.

We even looked into adding the comfy access when we discovered it existed after the fact (cannot be done easily). But sure don't miss not having it in the MINI. Would be nice to have the auto dimming mirror though.....

Last edited by MCS Fever; 04-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I love it as part of the convenience package. It was a last minute add on for me and it was great. Makes life much easier when trying to get into the car with packages...no worrying about getting the key out at all. I like the auto headlights/auto wipers too.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
I dunno...for $500 I figured I could just take the fob out of my pocket. Didn't order it and don't miss it. Maybe it grows on you over time.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Just remember if you have Freddie or Jason chasing you - you won't drop the keys while trying to unlock the door.

Many movie women have died precisely because they dropped the keys as the ax murderer chased them.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Himself
1st Gear
I love having this on my MCS however it seems to be a bit hard on the battery. I have a habit of not locking my car and if you don't, the wipers and radio seem to stay on for a while. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Himself
I love having this on my MCS however it seems to be a bit hard on the battery. I have a habit of not locking my car and if you don't, the wipers and radio seem to stay on for a while. Anyone else have this problem?
CA is the best..

This is how my '10 works with CA Fob in my pocket.
When engine is running-
If you give a quick press of the start button then the engine stops and the radio etc stays on for a few minutes. A 2nd press will immediately shut everything off.
-OR-
If you give a long press, (1 or 2 seconds), then the engine and everything else immediately shuts off.

Kevin

Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM
woodyups
1st Gear
Wow that is what I love about this forum, such a wealth of opinions and info! Well my Mini Saga continues, I was all set on a new one when I came across an '06 S cabrio. This decision is going to kill me before I ever get a Mini home!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by woodyups
Wow that is what I love about this forum, such a wealth of opinions and info! Well my Mini Saga continues, I was all set on a new one when I came across an '06 S cabrio. This decision is going to kill me before I ever get a Mini home!!!
that 06 is a completely different car from a 2011.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Himself
Normal operation. But - in order to shut everything down, just hit the start/off button a second time, and the electronics will shut off. Problem solved.

I have CA and like it, but wouldn't spend $500 on it again. The system was better on my E90 330i - you didn't have to push a physical (and balky) button on the outside of the handle to open/lock the door; all you had to do was put your hand around it to open it, and swipe 2 fingers across the area where the lock cylinder would be to lock it. Really slick.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:07 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'm clearly in the minority, but the only thing I really like about Comfort Access from my (extensive) time in loaners with it is getting the hatch open when my hands are full without fumbling for my key.

I prefer the look of the door handles without the buttons and don't mind putting the key fob into the dash to start.

This may be a stupid question, but can you unlock both doors with the driver's side button? Sorry my loaner has no manual.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Best $500 treat I ever gave myself....don't pass up the opportunity, life isn't a dress rehearsal!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I have it on my JCW and I love it. I had a 2008 Highlander. I came standard with it. As a matter of fact there is no place to put the fob into the dashboard. I just left it in a pocket or in the cup golder.

Traded that Highlander for a 2011 X5 and even though its a $1000 option on that car... I had to have it.

As others have said, I would not get a new car without it.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
I'm clearly in the minority, but the only thing I really like about Comfort Access from my (extensive) time in loaners with it is getting the hatch open when my hands are full without fumbling for my key.

I prefer the look of the door handles without the buttons and don't mind putting the key fob into the dash to start.

This may be a stupid question, but can you unlock both doors with the driver's side button? Sorry my loaner has no manual.
Yes there is a setting in the OBC (tach). FYI The passenger side CA button always unlocks both doors regardless of the OBC setting.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Himself
1st Gear
Thanks guys! I had no idea about pressing the button a second time. Works perfect.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 AM
white3
4th Gear
My wife has CA on her BMW and I thought long and hard about getting it, but decided in the end not to. Its different for a woman, she keeps her key in her purse, so with CA she doesnt need to fish around to find the key.
For a guy, your key is usually in your pocket so its just as easy to press the button on the key fob as you walk up to the car. I just dont see the big advantage. Plus- at night when I press the open button on the key fob, my car lights up like a Christmas tree.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Espada
1st Gear
My TL SH-AWD w/Tech. Package comes with Comfort Access. The thing I like the most about CA is that I can start the car and walk away to grab mail, or something out of the house if I forgot it. It is also very nice to just walk up to the car, open the door, and start it. It doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference when you do not have to hunt around for keys.

Hell I have a Ducati Multistrada 1200 S that has a CA type key fob, my old Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS had one as well. You just hop on the bike, pull the clutch (for safety), hit the starter button and you're off! It is really nice when you do not have to fumble for keys with motorcycle gear on!!!!!

So yeah, my last three vehicles had CA in one form or another. You can bet your rear that when I order my JCW it's gonna have CA

Quick Reply: R56 Comfort Access or Not