R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 3 year free maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
silvia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 year free maintenance

Just got back from Mini to inquire about possible coolant leak. My lst year of free maintenance was in September 2010. I bought the car in August 2009. I was told my 2nd year free maintenance is not till September 2011 unless a light goes on for service. Then I inquired if I go on September 2011, I won't be able to get my free 3rd year maintenance. Service advisor said that is correct unless MINI computer in car shows i need service.

Does anyone think this is a rip off on 3 year free maintenance?

BTW, the good part is that no coolant leak was found through visible inspection and pressure leak test. Also, I had the Brake Fluid Flush and Micro Filter replaced even though it wasn't done in my lst year of free maintenance.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Silva,
I also have an 09. The brake flush and microfilter are done at 2 years...not the first year. If at one year the computer has not yet indicated the need, you get an oil change service...thats about it.

I understand what your saying about the 3rd year. Its not just Mini. Its common. And you end up paying for a maint service just a mere month or two after the 3 year in service date.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do the brake pads ever get replaced under the 3/36 plan?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Does anyone think this is a rip off on 3 year free maintenance?
Short answer:
No

longer answer

your 3 years of free maintenance is 36 months from date of purchase or a miles figure that does not appear to play here so let's ignore that one but I'm guessing you have a very low miles car.

You purchased in August 2009 .... your pre-paid maintenance expires in Aug '12 .... period.

prolonged answer

Service under the pre-pay has been an oil service at 12 month intervals and/or when the computer says service is required. You initiated that in September the first time out .... but that date does not matter for the plan, only for the next "free one" . . and your second free oil change is 12 months later ... Sept of this year

It sounds to me like they saw your first computer service interval {service vs oil} was near and they completed those items (like the brake fluid flush) and reset the counter for those - a perfectly OK thing to do if they were close. You actually gained else you might have been back for service the following month for these items.

yes, your service plan expires b4 you are due for another routine oil change . . . unless a different service alert comes on - for example a worn brakes issue.

I hope I got that right . . .

Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
Do the brake pads ever get replaced under the 3/36 plan?
sure - I've known several to get it - high miles drivers who use their brakes hard ... not unusual for a MINI to need brakes in 35,000 miles and not unusual for some drivers to do that in a year.

and they got pads and rotors

but if you change your pads to a different make to reduce dust then you can not expect the maintenance plan to change them or the factory to warrant them

this would be a case where "changing them voided the warranty" because MINI is not going to warranty the non-factory pads . . .

Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
sure - I've known several to get it - high miles drivers who use their brakes hard ... not unusual for a MINI to need brakes in 35,000 miles and not unusual for some drivers to do that in a year.

and they got pads and rotors

but if you change your pads to a different make to reduce dust then you can not expect the maintenance plan to change them or the factory to warrant them

this would be a case where "changing them voided the warranty" because MINI is not going to warranty the non-factory pads . . .

Cool, that's good to know. I drive quite a bit so I'm sure I'll reach 36K before 3 years.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
CarJon
2nd Gear
My front pads were replaced at about 25,000 miles per the service lights based upon date and not miles which I thought was strange. Took forever for the new ones to seat properly and stop making noise.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually the brakes are based on time and on a sensor. They use a time based system to "predict" when you might actually need them replaced but there is an actual sensor that wears through and will alert you as well. The thing looks like a usb cable with a bulb on one end that wears down as it contacts the brake surface. The bulb breaks and it shorts the wire out and sets off the service reminder.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Mini changed to 18 months in Sept of 2010. I took my Mini in at 12 months and they would not do a free oilo change so I had to pay.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BMW13
Mini changed to 18 months in Sept of 2010. I took my Mini in at 12 months and they would not do a free oilo change so I had to pay.
Doesn't really help you any, but MINI apparently reversed that change in policy in late September or October.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
If you drive little, you get little maintenance in 3 years. The oil change is one of the few things that defaults to a year frequency if you don't drive enough for the computer to call for maintenance. The other stuff is based on miles and only roughly predicts when (mm/yyyy) you may get there. In my case, mine has had dealer oil changes about every 6 months (in addition to my own at 6k intervals), pads replaced in the first year and coming due again, cabin filter replaced at 12 months, brake fluid flush, and whatever else was required.

However, I bought the car new in April '09, blew past 36k miles in about a year and now have 70k miles on it. Drive a lot, get a lot of "free" maintenance. I also wasted money on the 100k maint plan, so I'll be covered for another year.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
silvia
2nd Gear
by the time 2 years is up, I may only have about 17k. Before the 3rd year is up, I plan to drive across several States on Vacation to add mileage to it.

I am surprised that there was a brake fluid flush performed at 14k miles.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:58 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not maintenance, it's marketing. Designed to make you more interested in, or feel better about buying a BMW or Mini...(or any other brand that claims free maintenance.)

engine oil and filter every 18K miles? Fine if you are only going to worry about the engine during the warranty period. Long term? Probably not so good.

Transmission and or diff fluid good for a lifetime? Good for the lifetime of the warranty, beyond that, not so much. (Even BMW has seen the light and now specifies a 50K mile service life. The M3 gets the diff fluid changed at 1200 miles. (yes, it's a limited slip, but...)

Face it, Mini wants to pay as little as possible and get the vehicle out of warranty in one piece. That's it. Once it's not thier problem, they don't care.

Get your hands on a copy of Mike Millers Old School maintenance program, (basically the program from the E30 BMW) if you are planning to keep the car for a while.