R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Fullbunkergear
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Install

Has anyone installed HID's on the non HID head lights? Im interested in doing it and am trying to find what most people are doing for it. I have a few places and Ideas but Im just not sure what I wanna do. any help would be huge. Thanks alot...

Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This subject is discussed at length in the Modification section

Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea, but he asked here.

Yes it can be done, debatable on if it's a good idea or not.

The opitcs of the halogen vs HID lights are very different. Changing from a 9006/7 (I assume, it's been so long since I bought a car without HID's) bulb to a rebased HID bulb moves the actual point where the light is emmited from the bulb. All headlights are designed to reflect and focus light from a specific source. So changing the bulb may have a negative effect on light output and performance.

It's also illegal. HID lights must have self leveling and usually headlight washers.

So yes, you can, but should you?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
RichardsPerry is right but also the halogen housings are not up to correctly focusing the light from a aftermarket HID system. NA halogens are designed to spread light over a great area with no definable cut off, it just fades out. When you install a HID kit this does not happen and you end up blinding on coming traffic.

Overall its not a good idea as it is not DOT legal and its bad for other drivers.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
vereinmann
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Yea, but he asked here.

Yes it can be done, debatable on if it's a good idea or not.

The opitcs of the halogen vs HID lights are very different. Changing from a 9006/7 (I assume, it's been so long since I bought a car without HID's) bulb to a rebased HID bulb moves the actual point where the light is emmited from the bulb. All headlights are designed to reflect and focus light from a specific source. So changing the bulb may have a negative effect on light output and performance.

It's also illegal. HID lights must have self leveling and usually headlight washers.

So yes, you can, but should you?
You're right that it's illegal, but only because of the excessive glare that rebased HIDs will cause to oncoming drivers. HIDs in north america are not required to have self leveling or washers, that's only an EU (well basically the rest of the world) requirement.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Fullbunkergear
1st Gear
Thanks for the heads up guys, Ill probobly not install them in my current housing. That being said... I found a website that has some good OE HID headlights that I am concidering. How hard is it to install and does anyone know if the wiring harness is different? Im just trying to figure it out as i reall dont like my halogen bulbs, I have a hard time seeing some things on the road and like it was said, the light just stops and then theirs darkness. Again, Any help would be awesome!

Thanks, Mike

Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM
jeepwidow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vereinmann
You're right that it's illegal, but only because of the excessive glare that rebased HIDs will cause to oncoming drivers. HIDs in north america are not required to have self leveling or washers, that's only an EU (well basically the rest of the world) requirement.
If I'm not mistaken, the reason HID headlights are Illegal is because their frequency and intensity is similar to a welding arc when in direct line with the beam. That's why your eyes hurt when someone catches you in the eye when hitting bump or cresting a hill with an HID equipped vehicle.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullbunkergear
Im just trying to figure it out as i reall dont like my halogen bulbs, I have a hard time seeing some things on the road and like it was said, the light just stops and then theirs darkness. Again, Any help would be awesome!

Thanks, Mike
Try re-aligning your beams. Mine came from the factory pointing downward and I couldnt see more than 15 feet in front of me on a dark road. I redirected them to where they are supposed to be and now I can see much better. Although I'd love projectors, whats that site you are talking about?