R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Do regular Minis require synthetic oil? If not, is it still recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do regular Minis require synthetic oil? If not, is it still recommended?

My previous car required synthetic but looking through the owner's manual for my 2011 mini convertible it doesn't say anything about synthetic oil.

Given that Mini recommends waiting 15K miles between oil changes, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to use synthetic but I'm not sure if this can cause any problems.

Does anyone here use synthetic on their Minis? Will it help any or should I stick with regular oil?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I thought synthetic was required. Are you sure you h ave checked your owner's manual thoroughly?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
I thought synthetic was required. Are you sure you h ave checked your owner's manual thoroughly?
I thought I had but it's very possible that I could have overlooked it. I'll check again.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe if you read the manual really carefully you will find that it does not state "synthetic" but does state the minimum API Engine Service Classification Code of SL.

http://www.unitedoil.com.au/apiclass.htm

And when you go to buy motor oil you will find that all SL or higher codes (only one SM) are synthetic oils.

Now that is the absolute minimum but the recommended is a LL-01 or A3/B3 rated oil and there are very few of those around.

And i can not find the link to the MINI copy of this PDF but it is really the same.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/wp-content...hetic-oils.pdf

And good luck finding the approved oils on the list. In many parts of the country they are not available.

IMHO as long as you use an oil that is SL or better you should be safe. But never let the car go more than 7500 miles between changes.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I believe if you read the manual really carefully you will find that it does not state "synthetic" but does state the minimum API Engine Service Classification Code of SL.

http://www.unitedoil.com.au/apiclass.htm

And when you go to buy motor oil you will find that all SL or higher codes (only one SM) are synthetic oils.

Now that is the absolute minimum but the recommended is a LL-01 or A3/B3 rated oil and there are very few of those around.

And i can not find the link to the MINI copy of this PDF but it is really the same.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/wp-content...hetic-oils.pdf

And good luck finding the approved oils on the list. In many parts of the country they are not available.

IMHO as long as you use an oil that is SL or better you should be safe. But never let the car go more than 7500 miles between changes.
Thanks for the clarification. Would Mobil 1 be good enough? I see in the PDF you linked that it mentions Mobil 1 0W-40 but I've always used their 5W-30.

BTW, if I have the oil changed before the free one from Mini is due, what do I need to do to make sure that they still give me the free one at 15K miles?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
Thanks for the clarification. Would Mobil 1 be good enough?

BTW, if I have the oil changed before the free one from Mini is due, what do I need to do to make sure that they still give me the free one at 15K miles?
There are many folks who use the Mobil1 oil as specified, so you should be fine with it.

If you are still within the "free" maintenance period and want to get your free oil changes from MINI, do not reset your oil change service counter when you do the oil change.

I don't know whether it really matters, but if you do an oil change with Mobil1, you will be alternating oils as MINI will use their branded Castrol. So for consistency, you may want to use either MINI oil or the Castrol specified oil during the "free" maintenance period and hold off on switching to Mobil1.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
There are many folks who use the Mobil1 oil as specified, so you should be fine with it.

If you are still within the "free" maintenance period and want to get your free oil changes from MINI, do not reset your oil change service counter when you do the oil change.

I don't know whether it really matters, but if you do an oil change with Mobil1, you will be alternating oils as MINI will use their branded Castrol. So for consistency, you may want to use either MINI oil or the Castrol specified oil during the "free" maintenance period and hold off on switching to Mobil1.

Ok cool. Will they say anything about the new filter I put on not being the stock one?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Actually...

Only Mobil 1 0W-40 has the extended drain interval (long life) related ratings expected on a Mini. The 5W-30 and 0W-30 don't. 0W-40 is commonly available at auto parts stores and some others, though perhaps not at Costco or Walmart.

Another option is Castrol European Formula 0W-30. Available at Autozone, but not otherwise commonly. Like the Mobil 1, other Castrol synthetic viscosities commonly available like their regular 5W-30 don't meet the long life spec.

Easiest option actually is...the Mini OEM oil., like the other poster is mentioning. My dealer sells at $6.25/qt. which is less than the $8ish/quart price normally charged for either non-dealer oil above.

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd

Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
Only Mobil 1 0W-40 has the extended drain interval (long life) related ratings expected on a Mini. The 5W-30 and 0W-30 don't. 0W-40 is commonly available at auto parts stores and some others, though perhaps not at Costco or Walmart.

Another option is Castrol European Formula 0W-30. Available at Autozone, but not otherwise commonly. Like the Mobil 1, other Castrol synthetic viscosities commonly available like their regular 5W-30 don't meet the long life spec.

Easiest option actually is...the Mini OEM oil., like the other poster is mentioning. My dealer sells at $6.25/qt. which is less than the $8ish/quart price normally charged for either non-dealer oil above.

+1 on the dealers actually being cheaper. But for some of us that lives hours + away from a the dealer it makes it a bit difficult to get the oil unless we stock up on it. And there are many places on line to get the OEM filter for about $10.00 and my dealer will sell them to me for the same price.

And BTW Not Autozone or other national chains carry the same oil in all parts of the country. The Autozone in my town does not normally carry the Mobil 1 0W-40. I would have to special order it. But the Walmart does. Go figure.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 AM
sob4691
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My worry was that the car should have an oil change before the 15k. I am at 10k miles now and I feel that I should have the oil changed. Any input?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sob4691
My worry was that the car should have an oil change before the 15k. I am at 10k miles now and I feel that I should have the oil changed. Any input?
Do a search, read the thousands of posts debating the issue, then do what you feel comfortable with.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
+1 on the dealers actually being cheaper. But for some of us that lives hours + away from a the dealer it makes it a bit difficult to get the oil unless we stock up on it. And there are many places on line to get the OEM filter for about $10.00 and my dealer will sell them to me for the same price.

And BTW Not Autozone or other national chains carry the same oil in all parts of the country. The Autozone in my town does not normally carry the Mobil 1 0W-40. I would have to special order it. But the Walmart does. Go figure.
My dealer is a couple of hours away, so I buy BMW branded oil from a local non mini BMW dealer. Same thing.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Valvoline synpower 5-30w comes in those 5 quart jugs some places. I got charged 22$ for my freaking filter a couple weeks ago, by a local shop who ordered it. They hit me about $35 for an air filter. I maybe getting bent over a barrel here. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM
woodyups
1st Gear
Hey guys,
Does mini only change the oil as part of the maintenance plan at their prescribed intervals? If I'm understanding everyone if you want to change your oil more frequently its on your nickel? Can you still just take it to the dealer for oil changes other than whats covered by the plan?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodyups
Hey guys,
Does mini only change the oil as part of the maintenance plan at their prescribed intervals? If I'm understanding everyone if you want to change your oil more frequently its on your nickel? Can you still just take it to the dealer for oil changes other than whats covered by the plan?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
y would u use anything other than what is recommended by mini if you are under warranty. do u really want to risk the dealer telling u that your warranty is void because of saving a couple dollars on oil?