R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Key Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 AM
teleautomata
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Key Questions

I just wanted to get a few questions answered regarding my keys from some experts, or people that may have been in the same situations. BTW I have a 07 R56. I did a search but found nothing, so I'm sorry if the questions have already been answered.

1. When I'm driving, my key sometimes falls right out of the ignition. Kind of scary when it happens while I'm on the freeway. Prior to this, I noticed that the chrome bezel is cracked and missing a portion of it on the key, so I just took it off. Is the missing chrome bezel somehow a making my key fall out, or is it the ignition slot? What actually holds the key in place? Magnet?

2. I am also missing my 2nd key. From what I understand, you can't just buy a second hand key from eBay and program it yourself like earlier MINI models. I am being told that there is no way around it... you have to go to the MINI dealer and order a key from them, and have them program it. Is this correct?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
1. I don't have the chrome ring on one of my keys. I tried pulling it off to paint it and I broke it. It hasn't just fallen out of the ignition though. That's weird.

2. Correct. You have to get a new key from the dealer. In most cases, I've heard it costs between $300-$400, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My chrome ring broke and fell off as well, but I can't recall the key ever coming loose by itself. but for the most part, with Comfort access, I never take my key out of my pocket anymore.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Likewise lost my chrome bezel for a while...

and didn't affect key in slot security. Can buy that ring as a separate piece part by the way.

As others say, need a trip to get it programmed. You can order the key via a discounting/on line dealer first if you want; the key is ordered by VIN number, so on arrival it is cut correctly, but still needs the programming.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
teleautomata
1st Gear
Thank you very much to all the members that made a quick replies to my questions.

I figured that the chrome ring had no real function, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll be visiting the stealership this week to find out the exact cost of the replacement key, and chrome ring.

As for the key, it seems to be popping out when I hit a large dip in the road or bump in the freeway. I'll have the stealer look into that too.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by teleautomata
I figured that the chrome ring had no real function, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll be visiting the stealership this week to find out the exact cost of the replacement key, and chrome ring.
I don't know if all new rings are the same or if they even sell/make the chrome covered plastic ring any more but be sure you get the stainless steel type and not chrome covered plastic. It will not get all scratched up and worn looking and will last forever.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the chrome ring break on both of my keys. The dealership fixed it with new rings and said that they are covered under warranty. Next time you are in, bring the key with you and hopefully they will fix it.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
teleautomata
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
I don't know if all new rings are the same or if they even sell/make the chrome covered plastic ring any more but be sure you get the stainless steel type and not chrome covered plastic. It will not get all scratched up and worn looking and will last forever.

I was unaware that they had a stainless steel type, and I will definitely look into getting that version.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
onemcs
1st Gear
1. Mines missing the chrome around the outside. Doesn't fall out but does come out if it's pulled slightly. Going to get a new chrome metal ring this week

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM
teleautomata
1st Gear
Originally Posted by onemcs
1. Mines missing the chrome around the outside. Doesn't fall out but does come out if it's pulled slightly. Going to get a new chrome metal ring this week

That's exactly how mine started... it would come out at first if I pulled slightly, then as time went by it got worse and started falling out on its own.

I took the car into the dealership, and they said it was the first time that they have ever heard of a key falling out on its own. It was a quick fix. They had to replace the ignition module.

Also, to confirm what other members have already stated, that the chrome colored plastic ring is now a discontinued item. They only stock the much better stainless steel ring, which was covered under warranty.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Do you have other heavy items on the key ring like a bunch of extra keys, keychains, bricks . If so the added weight may cause it to pop out. I have comfort access and rarely put the fob in the holder.