R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 AM
RandyH
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Question

Hello! Brand New Owner and Brand New Member!
I have a question about the sunroof...Ive seen various posts about the sunroof not working and getting stuck open. There is a tool to close it manually...the question is, where is this tool and how do i close it manually if I get this problem. I have a 2008 MCS. I already looked in the tray under the rear boot and dont see a tool Id use to close the sunroof nor do I see where it would fit.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 AM
swopey
2nd Gear
i have heard about this tool as well but am not aware of where it would be located. The main issue ive heard of with the sunroofs is that they have trouble working in hot conditions. I hope mine never gets stuck open.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyH
I have a question about the sunroof...Ive seen various posts about the sunroof not working and getting stuck open. There is a tool to close it manually...the question is, where is this tool and how do i close it manually if I get this problem. I have a 2008 MCS. I already looked in the tray under the rear boot and dont see a tool Id use to close the sunroof nor do I see where it would fit.

Thanks!
The instructions are shown in the owners manual for up to 2008 but the instructions don't appear in the '09+ owners manuals.

Looked at my '10 Clubman. I popped off the plastic cover as shown in the older owners manuals. (Cover has airbag light and color LED's).
There is a ~ 0.75" hole in the black plastic part. Above the hole is the drive motor. In the center of the motor there is a hole that fits #20 torx driver. (The larger of the torx on the included screwdriver tool). You have to pull the driver handle part way off in order to have enough reach.

I inserted the torx driver and ran the sunroof with switch and the driver turned with the motor. I did not try to turn manually because I did not want to break something, but I would try it if my sunroof ever gets stuck open.

I am not sure you could turn it with the included screwdriver torx tool. Might have to use a large allen type or 'T' handle torx tool or maybe even a drill motor driver.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 AM
fxdavis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandyH

Thanks!
I'm waiting on a 2011 Cooper S Clubman, but this could be the same problem I had with a 3-series BMW (since BMW and Mini are close cousins). Basically, the brain that controls the sunroof forgets the state the sunroof is in (open or closed). So, if it's open and won't close, push the button in the other direction for a few seconds to open it (even though it's already open). Now the brain correctly thinks it's open and pushing the button to close it will work. It works the other way too. If it's closed and won't open, first push the button for a few seconds to close it, then push to open. I read this in a BMW forum several years ago and it worked every time for me.